Author Topic: Radisson - 2011 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 227880 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2011 / March
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2011, 20:05 »
Sorry, but I've lost track of Sandy.  Is she the Radisson female?  Or is she still around?

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2011, 17:38 »
Cooper and I just had a great long look around the Radisson.
Girl on the nest box ( know this by size alone ) and a boy on the second s of the Radisson on the west side ( again by size, )
No flying, no territorial stuff going on, just two birdies hanging out.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2011, 16:01 »
Lucky, Lucky Winnipeg  :), you have 3 birds and all we have is a Mckenzie roof covered with flying kraft dinner and a weather forecast for about 10 to 15 cm of snow or rain tonight and tomorrow :'(. If that male with the black band is Brooklyn (21/y) tell him he's NOT welcome and send him home. Rcf has been checking our site before work,at noon and after work since last week. No falcons nothing but pigeons.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 16:21 by Rose »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2011, 15:18 »
Good lord, already?  Gees I hope it's Princess you saw ..hate to think of her coming home to this and what will happen.  And Trey or Ivy...well if it's Ty..yikes.  That they are moving so fast though and getting right down to it...hopefully means it's a familiar couple.  On pins and needles now  :-X

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2011, 15:12 »
HSC bird could have been Jules wandering around, she was there this morning (see the West Winnipeg thread for more info).  Or it could have been Sandy having a wander.  HSC is a favourite spot to wander to ... lots of food, shelter and signs in the sunshine ... a peregrine needs not much more at this time of the year!

But there are two birds downtown and a fine romance has begun.  Dennis and I have only just gotten back from 6+ hours of hunting/chasing birds all over the city.  And we have two birds downtown, one male, one female and they like each other.  They like each enough that Wowzer's lens got all fogged up at one point  :o  

So here's the scoop, two birds at the Radisson, male has a black band, female has a green/black band.  Male could be Ivy or Ty or any other male we have banded in the province.  The belly pattern looks too dark to be Trey, but it could technically even be him.  The male was in a couple of Ivy's favourite spots so that weights the odds in his favour right now.  The female is most likely Princess or Sandy given the black/green band, we haven't had any other black/green birds buzz through but again who knows until we can see that band number again.  Dennis and Wowzer did get some amazing photos today and while we probably don't have clear band numbers, we may be able to narrow down the field based on some general shapes of band numbers.  

Male has only just turned up (yesterday at the earliest) but copulating activity has already begun.  Is it in earnest yet?  Doesn't seem like it, they just seem to be including some quick copulations in between the more usual courtship behaviour.  But that could be enough if they aren't disturbed but say, a returning resident male/female.  

More news as we get it .... and yes, we'll be posting photos when we have them ready ...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 15:14 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2011, 22:35 »
How exciting! Great news! Peregrines are once again flying over Winnipeg!

Keeping my fingers crossed that we have the start of a great season.

Thanks to everyone for all the great info. You guys are doing a super job.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011, 20:47 »
All of the photos are awesome! ;D  Pam, I want to work where you work!  All you guys working downtown are lucky ducks!  It's so much fun to thnk about the dramas that are soon to unfold in the downtown and West Winnipeg skies! :o  Detours downtown are planned and the binocs are ready to go! ;D ;D

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2011, 16:24 »
There's been a bird on the east sign all morning, back to us though, so can't see a lot of detail!
Des - difference in colour is due to my bad editing!!
Nah, your photos are great.  The angle, or more likely the wind has blown somebirdy's feathers out more so the malar bar on our right seems shorter than in the photo above.
It's wonderful seeing photos and hearing that there were two birds in different locations in Winnipeg at the same time!  And it will only get more interesting.  Thanks!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2011, 13:24 »
Maybe there are two birds back ????

Hmm... very interesting. I guess time will tell, bn. ;)

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2011, 11:44 »
Maybe there are two birds back ????

Somebirdy has been on the JBRC sign(east side) at HSC for most of the morning -
that was where the male loved to sit last year.

He/she was spotted there yesterday as well.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2011, 11:05 »
There's been a bird on the east sign all morning, back to us though, so can't see a lot of detail!
Des - difference in colour is due to my bad editing!!

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2011, 07:36 »
I think people are getting confused when I said West nest. I face the west side of the Radisson Hotel. It is right outside my window in downton Winnipeg. I believe Pam you face the east side of the hotel, so it would be the same bird changing sides. The West Winnipeg nest is in west Winnipeg possibly St James and only a few people know that site.

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 22:03 »
Must be the 2 different angles - the falcon looks slightly different in each.  Thanks so much for the photos.  Whoever was at the West Winnipeg Nest today had the sense to hunker down - if somebirdy was even there when I was looking.
Ah, the excitement of 2 falcons at once - and I use to think that cell phones weren't a necessity!
Happy hunting...

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 21:25 »
thanks for the pictures pam ... nice to see one of the birds.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 21:16 »
On the sign this afternoon....