Author Topic: Radisson - 2008 / Trey & Princess  (Read 309059 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - May 2008 / Trey & Princess
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2008, 17:35 »
Okay, just saw herself nearly get flipped but she hung in there like glue.  Did see two eggs though.  Has anyone see all three at one time today?  Since we haven't seen any feedings and we would have if the eggs had hatched (a la the Harrisburg nest - see the "Other Peregrine Cams" thread if you don't know what I am referring to).  How many shift changes have we seen?  And no, the eggs wouldn't have been blown off the ledge today if the parents got off them.

The reason I ask is that she is awfully stuck on those eggs, makes me wonder if she isn't hearing the chicks and that's why she isn't letting them be seen much.  Can take more than 72 hours from initial pip to breaking free.  For artificially incubated eggs, 24-48 hours (average 47.8 hrs) from pip to hatch.  Most of that time is spent resting so no worrying about exhausted chicks okay ? ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2008, 16:46 »
Looks like Princess (I think it's her) is in the danger-of-flipping-position again...

Yes, it is Princess, you're getting the hang of it!  If you'd like to see still photos of both Princess and Trey, their mug shots are in Photo Gallery - www.pbase.com/speciesatrisk/pefa_2008_id

I think she's got this wind direction worked out, she's about as flat on the eggs as I have ever seen her.  Her feathers get mussed, but she's figured out to keep that tail down! Forecast still says the wind is suppose to go down for the next couple of days along with warmer temps and sun.  Keep your fingers crossed.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2008, 16:35 »
Wait until the chicks are a 3-4 of weeks old, there are body parts everywhere!  The parents tend to be fairly fastidious though there are usually some cleaned off bones that get missed.  As the chicks get larger and start feeding themselves from the food the parents have brought, that is when the nest goes to wrack and ruin.  When the chicks get close to fledging, they start pitching stuff out of the nestbox themselves.  Besides, in the spring it gives Trey an opportunity to prove what kind of a sensitive king of guy he is  ;)

Earlybird

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2008, 16:34 »
Looks like Princess (I think it's her) is in the danger-of-flipping-position again...

Earlybird

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2008, 16:32 »
Did you see the Harrisburg one?  Even messier!

I myself have been meaning to do some tidying up...and studying, but have been too darn hooked on these falcons!  I should really get to it.

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2008, 14:53 »
So, I've been cleaning my house all morning and stopping to check in on the nest...  And it seems to me that peregrines are not very good housekeepers!  I mean, I can understand it's hard to keep a gravel bed tidy, but do they ever throw out trash?  The Great River nestbox seems to have a lot of leftovers (feathers from previous meals, I think) in it.  ewwwww. :P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 16:31 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2008, 14:06 »
Watching the 2 cams, it hits home even more - the 'other' mom seems like she's on vacation in the tropics compared to our poor Princess , huddled & blowing around in the cold wind. I hope she can feel all our warm vibes going out to her.  :) :)

It is quite the difference....but she too has had a very rough spring...I've been watching her for about a month....yesterday she got pelted with hail...even though the box is covered...and they have had their share of spring snow...but at least she is somewhat protected with the "roof" over her head...I have to keep reminding myself that peregrines in the wild nest on rock/cliff ledges with NO protection...I would imagine they are well equiped to weather the weather....but I must say, Manitoba is just about the windiest place I've watched....whew.....and thanks for the climate 101 lesson...loved it...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2008, 13:54 »
Yup, is normal to eat the eggshell.  They don't all do it, or do it all the time or eat them all.  Some remove them a distance away from the nest like other debris, others just flip them over the edge of the ledge.  Given our angle this year, we'll get to see what Princess and Trey decide to do soon (hopefully).

And nope, though we usually have wind at this time of the year, its part and parcel of the change in the season.  Wind is the movement of air down the air pressure gradient and we had a high last week (warm temperatures), which was replaced by a low (rain, cool/cold weather) and now we have another high coming along (temps for tomorrow are 18C high, 7C low, currently 9C and -1C tonight).  The speed of the wind gives you an indication of  how "high" the high is and how "low" the low is - the speed is directly proportional to the difference between the high and the low pressure.  Think of it as a slope, the steeper the slope, the faster the speed.

Glad this question came up ... sorry (a little) for the Climatology 101 class

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2008, 13:35 »
My sentiments exactly Ballywing.  Gosh I hope Winnipeg gets some nice weather soon.  From what I understand Tracy was saying they dont want to improve this location as it would only encourage them to use it more, and it is only 13 stories high compared to 30 stories for the nest box site on the other side of the building.  Guess they only have themselves to blame for choosing to nest here, but everyone can make a mistake, and I for one feel very bad for P and T, especially comparing there situation to the Great River ones.  I will keep praying  for better times ahead.  :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2008, 13:27 »
Watching the 2 cams, it hits home even more - the 'other' mom seems like she's on vacation in the tropics compared to our poor Princess , huddled & blowing around in the cold wind. I hope she can feel all our warm vibes going out to her.  :) :)

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2008, 13:16 »
It'll help tide me over as I watch our pair sit and battle the wind and now I know what to expect in the next few days.

I Know! Isn't it exciting!  Can't wait for "our" chicks to hatch.  I am running out of room on my screen to get any work done, have one cam on each side.  :D Really neat to here them and my she did give the other parent a talking to didn't she! lol.  I thought maybe she was saying "don't stand there empty handed go get us something to eat!"  My cats have taken an interest in my computer what with all the chirping.  :)

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2008, 13:11 »
quite normal to eat the eggshell from what I've been told...I've seen other mom's do this after hatching...good source of calcium, maybe?  Maybe the Peregrine Chick can fill us in...

Glad you guys are enjoying the Minnesota link...so much fun to see a hatching...can't wait to see this happening with P & T!!!!

BTW....is it always this windy here...I saw the blow over...boy was that rough...is there anyway to put up a wind shield or other protection?...guess that's a stupid question...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 13:13 by skygirlblue »

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2008, 13:05 »
Oh, what a great new link!! - You're right Deedream, their 'house' is a luxury mansion, roof and everything. New chicks chirping, how exciting!! - Now how am I going to keep up with all this bird watching??? ;D

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2008, 13:01 »
Wow! I've just visited the Minnesota link you just gave, Deedream, and I got to see that a second chick has hatched! So wet and scrawny looking and squeaking like crazy while the first chick is already looking dry and fluffy and both are right under the adult -- must be the mum, she looks so big and really gave the other adult and earfull when it perched nearby.
 ??? This adult has also been chewing and even eating, I think, the egg shell from the hatched eggs.  Is this the usual way the hatched egg shells get disposed of? ???
Thanks again for this site! It'll help tide me over as I watch our pair sit and battle the wind and now I know what to expect in the next few days.
 :)

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2008, 12:41 »
Their dedication to those eggs is nothing short of awe inspiring. They are the best parents ever - I pray it ends well after all this adversity.  :-\

I completely agree with you Ballywing! I've got all fingers and toes crossed for the forseeable future!  So many hurdles to come out the other side of in the next several weeks!  Princess and Trey are so determined and dedicated. I have a new found respect for their efforts to raise a family!

Thanks for the new link Deedream!