Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 129836 times)

Offline Cara59

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / June
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2010, 20:21 »
I did manage to take a photo of Brooklyn in flight when he was flying back and forth over the lower roof. 

Hi to all and to you Rapidcitymbfan...your pictures are 'breath taking'...congratualtions.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2010, 20:01 »
 ...closer the better... :o ;D

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2010, 19:51 »
Dan our Man checked the nestbox today and Hurricane and Brooklyn still have eggs ...
Thanks for the update TPC now I don't feel I'm always in the dark about our friends in the nest box.Also Dennis better look out on banding day Brooklyn seems to be getting some practise chasing strangers away. ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2010, 18:37 »
I did manage to take a photo of Brooklyn in flight when he was flying back and forth over the lower roof. 

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2010, 18:17 »
Dan our Man checked the nestbox today and Hurricane and Brooklyn still have eggs ...

Gee, what time was he at the Mck bldg?  Maybe it was Dan that spooked Brooklyn, it was about 1pm when we were there.  Sure glad to know they still have eggs.  :-* ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 18:21 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2010, 18:13 »
Doesn,t that just frost you Rapidcityfan, when you move to another spot and something happens and you wished you had stayed put. that happens to us all the time ;D

Hope you have a hatch soon.

That's for sure, bev.  :D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2010, 18:02 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2010, 17:50 »
Doesn,t that just frost you Rapidcityfan, when you move to another spot and something happens and you wished you had stayed put. that happens to us all the time ;D

Hope you have a hatch soon.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2010, 17:41 »

Rose and I were on parkade today, saw Hurricane perched on east light and could see Brooklyn's head in the nest box.  We watched for a while and decided to go down to the street hoping to get a closer look and maybe a picture of Hurricane.  Just as we got down to the street, something must have spooked Brooklyn, because he was out of the nest box and yelling at something . He kept flying back and forth above the lower roof of McKenzie building. We couldn't see what he was upset about and thought we should have stayed on the parkade  ::)  Hurricane didn't seem to be agitated and stayed perched on the light, but eventually she went to the nest box. Brooklyn did go and perch on the MTS tower, but he was still yelling. We went to the west side of building and noticed somebody on the far west end of roof , directly south of McK bldg (roof is only two stories). Only thing is, I don't think Brooklyn would have seen him from the nest box, unless the person had also been on the other side of the roof.  We figured that's what spooked him. Anyway we were happy to see both birdies today, because lately we have only seen one.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 18:34 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2010, 17:18 »
Heard from Dan and Brooklyn and Hurricane are still incubating and expected hatch date is this week. 

Another 'hatch watch' week! Hopefully the weather will co-operate so as not to add to the stress of new parenthood.

Good luck Brooklyn & Hurricane.

Thank you TPC & everyone in Brandon  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2010, 13:20 »
Columbus only had 2 of their 4 eggs hatch thi syear and it is probably a good thing as the male there is learning. He is doing a great job, but took him awhile to get used to incubating and now he is feeding. so who knows .

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #261 on: June 01, 2010, 05:45 »
That's very sad to hear.  :'(  :'( Hopefully the two eggs that are left will hatch and the chicks will fledge successfully.
Oh Rapidcitymbfabn, I couln't have said this any better.  I will think positive thoughts for them :)
oops, sorry Rapidcitymbfan, too early to spell correctly ::)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2010, 05:44 »
That's very sad to hear.  :'(  :'( Hopefully the two eggs that are left will hatch and the chicks will fledge successfully.
Oh Rapidcitymbfabn, I couln't have said this any better.  I will think positive thoughts for them :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / May
« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2010, 23:13 »
TPC do you suppose two of the 4 eggs seen earlier were not hurricanes? I'm almost positive the other female had layed 2eggs before the nest got taken over by Brooklyn & Hurricane,would Hurricane still have incubated them as hers or would she have turfed them, do Perigrines do those kinds of things? ???

I looked at the timing Rose and there really wasn't quite enough time for the "first" female to get down to laying, we just didn't see the pair together for long enough - 3 weeks minimum is needed.  I suspect that it was a case of non-viable eggs rather than anything else - the eggs were observed at the proper intervals etc by someone who has been doing this for a long time.  So though stranger things have happened, but looking at what we know, I think its a good bet that these are all Hurricane's and Brooklyn's and that for whatever reason, two were not viable - maybe the stress of defending a territory had something to do with that, no way to know.  It happens, and it will mean that the two chicks that do hatch will get plenty of food and attention from their parents, one of whom is new at this and the other has only done this once before and with a much older, more experienced partner the last time.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / May
« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2010, 20:25 »
the female in Gulf, Pittsburgh, incubated her 3 and the other females 2, and all 5 hatched and are doing very well.

2 eggs have gone missing in REd Deer also.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 13:18 by bev. »