Author Topic: Great Horned Owls - Colorado / Xcel Energy  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: 2010 - Great Horned Owls - Colorado / Xcel Energy
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 19:32 »
This was a very interesting thread to read. I had not come across it yet.... So many boards and threads on this forum! :o

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 08:58 »
Bev.............did a second clutch ever get laid (lain?)  I can't get the cam to open!  Would be interested to hear. ???

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38 »
We are still hoping for a second clutch here. Owl has been in since 6 this morning

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 08:04 »
I have followed this nest since 2006 and now things are looking up again.
They are both at nest box regularly and Mama v is really working on her scrape

Just a small slideshow from last night

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 09:49 »
they have removed the eggs and snowflake is recovering . it does look like a scrape has been started by the end of the cam and they are frequenting the nest box.fingers are crossed :-* :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 19:01 »
It is so sad to see Snowflake injured and the eggs abandoned. I hope she will be able to recover quickly, and that she and Dan will be able to start a second clutch. Last year, after they abandoned their eggs, they did not lay a second clutch, but back in 2007 they did successfully raise a second clutch of two owlets. And TPC, Dave Madonna's children were the ones who named Snowflake.

I am hoping for the best possible outcome for Snowflake and Dan.

An update also from Amy Ries at Raptor Resource:

There appears to have been a territorial battle between the owls. My understanding is that it isn't common, but does happen - there were three owls at the plant. I know Dr. Redig thought, based on a photograph, that an owl had been burned, but Dave, the plant employee who works with the nestbox, got out binoculars and spent some time scoping the owl. He believes it is dried blood, probably from the territorial battle. We've never seen a burn-related injury at that plant before.

If we hear anything else, I'll let you know.

Amy Ries

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 17:47 »
Wow...I guess that answers my question then.  I hope that snowflake will be okay and they can renest  :(

Thanks for the report Alison.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 17:24 »
From Dave Madonna, who is at the Valmont Plant, and who does a great job of watching over the owls:

Thanks for your support and concern for the Valmont GHO's.  The adult female is currently perched outside the nest just out of the camera's view.   Observing her with binoculars from about 100 yards away, she appears to have dried blood on her face.   The adult male is roosting in a favorite spot directly below the nest and he appears to be healthy.   There has been a third GHO, probably female based on size, in the immediate area for over a week.    I am speculating that the nesting female got into a territorial fight with the intruder last night.  There has been no sign of the third owl today.   Hopefully, the female's injuries are superficial and she will recover quickly. 

GHO's have been nesting at the Valmont power plant for over 30 years.   In the 13 years I have been watching them, only 1 nest has failed, although there has been plenty of excitement.   They are  remarkably adaptable.   The nest cameras give us incredible insight into the challenges they face.   Their three eggs are almost certainly nonviable after being exposed for so long.   They may possibly lay a second clutch in two weeks or so like they did several years ago.   

Be assured that we are keeping a close watch on the owls.   I will submit another post if anything significant occurs here.   Thanks again for your support.

Dave Madonna

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 16:45 »
Something has happened at Valmont. Snowflake came home last night with her face covered with something dark, which looks like blood. She has been mostly out of the nest since then, and has ceased to incubate the eggs. Apparently there is another female GHO in the area, and it seems likely that Snowflake has had a confrontation with her.  :'(

Oh no :(  I guess it's not just PF's that have territorial fights then?  I hope she will be okay at least, even if the eggs are not viable. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 15:53 »
Something has happened at Valmont. Snowflake came home last night with her face covered with something dark, which looks like blood. She has been mostly out of the nest since then, and has ceased to incubate the eggs. Apparently there is another female GHO in the area, and it seems likely that Snowflake has had a confrontation with her.  :'(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 20:22 »
Dan stayed in the nest box with Snowflake most of the day today:

Dan on guard on the perch:

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 12:02 »
they have 3 eggs now and have been hassled by the crows . but the male stayed d in the box and showed his authority for 2 days so hopefully they got the picture

just a few thumbnails from yesterday . some are mine and some are from archives
click on picture
mom V preening

dad on perch

both on perch

just dad

dad getting ready for takeoff

mom comes back in

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 13:06 »
Love the very serious image ... if I were Dan I'd have a complex, he brought her a meal at 2:16am and yet there it still is at 5:38am.  Or its cousin is ...  :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 18:55 »
Snowflake? Snowflake?  How the heck can the mice she eats take her seriously with a name like Snowflake!!  ::)

Yup, Snowflake! If I remember correctly, she was named by some local school kids.

Here she is with her mate Dan, who brought her a treat:

And looking very serious:

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 16:13 »
I guess when an owl is eating you, you don't get too hung up on whether her name is Snowflake or something else. ;D