Author Topic: Telling male from female  (Read 2213 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Telling male from female
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 20:04 »
Trey is being very good...He wants to do his part but Princess is wanting to take on all brooding duties. These two are wonderful, caring, gentle parents and they are showing us all of these attributes.  Trey will get his time with his chicks as well..Princess is very protective of her young!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 18:45 »
Princess is being overly dominant at the nestsite so far this year so if you've seen a single bird, chances are its her.  She also likes to try to bite at the nestbox edge, while Trey likes to clean out the nestbox when he gets the chance.  The best time to see both is if you catch a feeding - Trey is bringing food right to Princess in the box often these days, it may not be for long, but it happens.  If we get warmer days, particularly in the morning if its sunny and not so very windy, you have the best chance of seeing Trey at/on the chicks.

And as they get older and neither Princess nor Trey is big enough to keep the chicks covered, I suspect (just suspect) that that is when Princess will be a little less adamant about handling most the brooding by herself.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 11:48 »
It might help then to notice how much space each one takes up in the box.  Once you've seen them both in it, I think you'll be able to tell which one is which.   :D

Offline Newbeak

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 10:21 »
Thanks,all for the viewing tips.I haven't caught both adults in the nest at once yet,so I couldn't compare sizes,but the coloration differences will help. :D

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 19:51 »
and when you can't tell size, you have to know something about the birds at the site.  For example, Princess has a slight crown of lighter feathers on her head, and her chest speckles go up higher.  Trey has a white chest and a very dark (and handsome) head.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 19:49 »
Females are larger than males. And you can see it when they are together in a shot.  The male is slimmer no question.  One sits on the nest and the other usually the male isn't far from the nest.

Offline Newbeak

• Egg
Telling male from female
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 19:46 »
How do you tell the male from the female falcon? Also,do both mates return to the nest for the night?
Thanks ???