Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18  (Read 53240 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2009 / Beau & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2009, 15:33 »
I am trying to get photos of Ramada but Helen  has been out in the field and I do not know if she is back yet. I will keep trying.

I am also waiting for tracking information from Geoff as to where Miss Edmonton is at the moment. I suspect she is almost at her destination. she goes there much quicker than she comes back.

I believe Miss Edmonton left on Oct 8 as she was there on Oct 7 but no sign after that. that is on par with last year.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2009, 19:24 »
Thank you so much for your reports on Miss Edmonton, Bev! I love your photos of her. She has always been one of my favourites, and I am so glad she seems to have found another mate. Thanks to you, she did have one chick this year - it is so good that Ramada is doing well. Wish we could see photos of her.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2009, 13:26 »
no snow yet but we had rain and it is cool.
Peter and I will go to both sites later this afternoon, with our parkas on.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2009, 07:23 »
Thank you, Bev.  It's a treat to have your reports again.  Your dedication and affection for Miss Edmonton comes clearly between the lines!  We all hope that next year will be a great year for her.

Ditto, couldn't have said it better.  Thanks Bev, great to hear about and see Miss Edmonton again!  I sincerely hope she comes back safely next year.  Snow last night in Calgary apparentley, did it hit you guys?  Maybe the falcons will take off today if they sense the snow.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2009, 21:59 »
Thank you, Bev.  It's a treat to have your reports again.  Your dedication and affection for Miss Edmonton comes clearly between the lines!  We all hope that next year will be a great year for her.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2009, 21:36 »
I will try and find Peter pictures of male form Sept5. ;) ;)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2009, 21:36 »
I will give a report today about Weber building.

What a year. Miss Edmonton looked as though she was batting a thousand . But although the male went missing I was able to alert Gord soon enough so that at least one egg hatched. I truly think God intervened because I think the chicks would have drowned in the same storm that took 3 of the Red Deer chicks. So hopefully a nest box next year.  No pictures yet of Miss Edmontons chick  but she is named Ramada and Helen says she has a pleasant disposition. They are just starting to fly her. Yes, she will used by them for falconry and breeding. I am happy with that as it was too late to foster her into a nest. Helen says they will give a chick back next year , which means that if a nest needs an extra chick , they will provide it.

MIss Edmonton did acquire a new beau and one picture shows her eating a pigeon 2 ledges below the male . so he probably provided it, which holds in good steed for next year. You can bet that if I was here at the time I would have been down there all the time observing. but Peter did a good job just catching them.

I will try later to get a better picture of the male blown up. He was gone when we got back.  Last year the Damon left on Sept 29-30(from University) so I am assuming this male left around then if not sooner. we did not see him when we came back.

so Miss Edmonton is looking real good and last night we caught her eating her supper.  We have seen her every night this week so far. I like to watch until they leave. this time of year is so quiet, and it always brings tears to my eyes. We never know what  the next season will bring . we all have our favorites and Miss Edmonton and Damon are mine.  but I would call this a success for Miss Edmonton . she has an offspring. Way to go 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2009, 22:53 »
Hi Everyone: Mr. Bev (Peter) here. Went down to the site at U OF A tonight. Saw Dad fly up and land on his perch on the aerial on the Windsor Park Building. Was walking towards the Education building when I saw a falcon sitting on the corner of the building. Took a picture and then the falcon flew over my head and just above me on the building behind me I saw Mom. The falcon who flew over, I'm sure was Froona, by the size and the way she looked. She landed where Mom was but Mom took off and flew down to the College Plaza building. Froona then took off and landed on the back of the Suite Hotel. In any event I saw the three of them. The boys were no where to be seen and are likely gallivanting around the country side. Dad and Mom turned in at their usual spot and Froona flew off somewhere, I could not see where.

I then drove down to the Weber building and it was getting pretty dark. I managed to see a falcon on the "R" on the Weber sign and another one on the NE corner of the Weber building 2 floors down. Both seem to be still there. Hopefully this turns into something next year. Looks promising anyway.

Good to see my wife back on the computer. Am going to have to teach her how to type and spell though.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2009, 19:14 »
Go Miss Edmonton!!  Hopefully she will indeed have someone to come home to next Spring...I hope she has a safe migration and look forward to seeing her have a successful nest full of babies next Spring.  She certainly deserves it...she's a survivor that girl!!

So so happy to hear about Miss Edmonton.  You go girl!!!  Get that mate waiting on you wing over talon  :P

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2009, 19:10 »
Try the "it will keep the pigeons away" benefit ... I get asked to install nestboxes on totally unsuitable buildings all the time because the managers want to keep the pigeons off their building (for free) and they figure I can tell the peregrines what to do  ::)

Don't know the management structure, but if you've been talking to building management, try higher up the administrative foodchain or the building's owners.  Peregrines are great for publicity, keep pigeons down and they can claim to helping the environment by "hosting" a species-at-risk.  You've probably been doing this already, but had to be sure since I know how badly you want a nestbox there.  Keep in mind, that a box isn't always necessary ... and some birds won't use them even if they are there ...

There a lots and lots of pigeons in Regina and gulls too.... ::)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 19:13 by allikat »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2009, 18:39 »
Go Miss Edmonton!!  Hopefully she will indeed have someone to come home to next Spring...I hope she has a safe migration and look forward to seeing her have a successful nest full of babies next Spring.  She certainly deserves it...she's a survivor that girl!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2009, 18:33 »
Hi: Peter (Mr. Bev) here. Just went down to the Weber building to check on "Weber Girl" aka "Homeless" aka "Transmitter Girl". Saw her sitting on the W proud as punch and to my surprise off to the right of her on a ledge just below was another falcon. Could be she has found a new mate. Wouldn't that be great! I took pictures but don't know how to add them to this post. Haven't had that lesson yet from Bev. Also went down to the University of Alberta but only saw the adult female. Not surprising as it was the middle of the day. I'll go down again in the evening in a day or two and I'm sure I'll see more of them. Its getting that time of year where they are thinking of migrating so would like to see them as much as possible.

Bev won't be back till the end of September as she has to still play nursemaid to Dad and I will be going out there to help her and hopefully drag her away for a short holiday.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2009, 09:35 »
I have been keeping an eye on Miss Edmonton ,s well. She is still well and looking good and watching over her site.  We are still trying to get a nest box there.

A lot of smooth talking. they refused Gord so I am elected. 

Try the "it will keep the pigeons away" benefit ... I get asked to install nestboxes on totally unsuitable buildings all the time because the managers want to keep the pigeons off their building (for free) and they figure I can tell the peregrines what to do  ::)

Don't know the management structure, but if you've been talking to building management, try higher up the administrative foodchain or the building's owners.  Peregrines are great for publicity, keep pigeons down and they can claim to helping the environment by "hosting" a species-at-risk.  You've probably been doing this already, but had to be sure since I know how badly you want a nestbox there.  Keep in mind, that a box isn't always necessary ... and some birds won't use them even if they are there ...

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2009, 09:27 »
;D  I just love the name "Miss Edmonton"  I hope Winnipeg get's a "Miss Winnipeg" or even "Miss Manitoba" - hey why not both!  ....one day... ;D 

We had a Winnie after Winnipeg (and just like "the Pooh") who was a very productive young lady in Omaha, Nebraska - our first bird in the US if I remember correctly.  Her kids are still around in Topeka and I think in Wisconsin ...

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2009, 19:57 »
Congrats to you and your team of watchers. You have attracted so much good publicity that it surely can be put to advantage to help getting a nest box for this site. A snowball effect so to speak, all the news from one site and now the possibility of another site to watch should make some people reconsider. The public has started to become involved and with the chance of another site, it could get even bigger. Keep doing what you can and I certainly applaud you and everyone else for making good things happen with the falcons. Lot's of good wishes :)