Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18

<< < (71/100) > >>

bcbird:
Carly, this is very interesting!  Thanks for passing along your research discoveries.
How do scientists study brain activity in a bird, anyway?  and, especially during migrational orientation?

carly:
I'm looking up migration now...you knew I would..   ;)  Finding some interesting, divergent points of view and a few that mention magnetic fields...so the earthquake could have affected their timing it seems ..if that theory was proven.

More recent research has found a neural connection between the eye and "Cluster N", the part of the forebrain that is active during migrational orientation, suggesting that birds may actually be able to see the magnetic field of the earth

Off I go to read more!  :D

carly:
I don't want to say it out loud but I wonder, could a certain someone who is also MIA be late and on the move.... :-X

The Peregrine Chick:
I don't remember when she came back last year, Bev might.  It may be that she isn't late or not very late at all ... some birds are like that.  And there apparently are a whole lot more peregrines on the move right now ...

carly:
That's interesting TPC.  I wonder if it's something to do with climate change or the earthquakes down there have somehow thrown off their timing.  Wouldn't their inner clock be set to sun position in the sky at a certain time of year and/or amount of daylight that lets them know it's time to go home? 

Admittedly I am clueless about all this so just throwing things out at you so forgive my ignorance if I'm on the wrong track.  I remember reading on Froona's site that it's the amount of daylight in the spring that turns something on in the falcons brain - sends a signal if you will that it's time to breed so I'm just wondering if the same principal would apply to migration?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version