Author Topic: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)  (Read 19814 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2009, 12:54 »
Just got home and there is an update a  picture of the chick they took out, he's still alive!!  Scroll down and it's on this page.

http://www.birdcam.it/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4125&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Thanks TPC for making a separate thread, cause you know we are all going to worry about this family until they fledge safely  ;D  At least we're on topic of falcons this time, just a different kind  ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2009, 12:21 »
Still watching and now she's feeding her little ones the mouse left in the corner and having some for herself.  I can't tell if there is any more food or not for them to eat today... It's 7pm there right now and it looks like there are still a couple of tiny meals left in the corner for them.  She's so cute talking to her chicks to encourage them to eat.  They have collapsed in a chick pile but she still chirps at them to eat.  Looks like they are full and now she is helping herself to the rest.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:26 by allikat »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2009, 12:06 »
I'm watching the cam right now and Rebecca is in there with her chicks just keeping an eye out.  What a momma she is!  I hope she can't find a mate or the people there keep provided them food. 
I'm also extremely happy to hear that the little one was taken away for care.  I hope that little guy/girl has survived and has a full crop.
Four chicks just snoozing right now, with a mouse (late night snack) in the box. 
Rebecca is beautiful!  I'm cheering this family on!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2009, 11:23 »
Decided to pull the Rebecca thread out of the Italy thread as its getting abit confusing.  Where necessary, I will double up on posts so that we keep the chronological order.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:42 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2009, 08:24 »
It certainly is!  Just got out of the shower and preparing to head out for my own food  ;D  But can relax now knowing they are looked after for today at least  :-\

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2009, 08:11 »
Rebecca is back and feeding again.  And how great to see the chicks with bulging crops  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2009, 07:52 »
Awww so cute, just saw Rebecca peek her head in to check on the sleeping chicks so she is close by  :-* 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2009, 07:18 »
Wow  :o  they finished off her kill and now Rebecca has grabbed one from the pile and is starting to work on it.  They must be so hungry  :'(

Oh something got her attention, she dropped the food and flew out! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2009, 07:00 »
Woot..Rebecca just flew in with food as well...go mom!  Can't even imagine how hard it is for her to feed them all and herself on her own and keep them safe from predators! 

All four up and eating now!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2009, 06:53 »
 Just checked Italy forum and the site admin says James took the little one out for care and they will keep us posted on his condition.  (I used the on line italian translator so hopefully I've got it right!)

I think you are right about bologna too Maggie, I peeked in and saw only one this morning as well.  Let's hope the fledge was successful  ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:55 by carly »

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2009, 06:52 »
I hope that they got the little guy out too.  There is a lot of loud conversation going on in the background. Too bad I only speak tourist Italian. Will have to wait for reports.
I haven't been able to get the Aria and Vento cam this morning to see more ledge adventures.  It was getting pretty interesting yesterday when food was delivered to the ledge and the 3 of them were manouvering around on that narrow space. They all seem to have a great sense of how careful they need to be so that no one goes over the edge.
In Bologna I can only see one this morning so perhaps there has been another fledge there. :-\

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2009, 06:38 »
Finally!  Cam just came back up and lots of food stashed in the corner.  No Rebecca at the moment and chicks are ini a pile so can't see to count.  I hope they got the little guy out.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2009, 05:51 »
Rebecca cam is down right now...grrr..  I checked the italy forums and she was home this morning and they posted some shots.  The catering people should be there now so perhaps that is why cam is down. 

Just went to the italy forums, I think the wee one is gone.  They have photos of Rebecca with the others and looks like a possible feeding from earlier this morning and the wee one is just laying there not moving.  In one shot mom's tail is covering him and he looks gone  :'( :'(

The forum says the intention was to rescue him and take him away for care. I'd be surprised if it wasn't too late.  I'm glad in a way the cam is not up, best not to see.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:03 by carly »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2009, 18:36 »
Still good news!!  Poor Rebecca.. you can only wonder how she feels coming back to a hungry bunch of chicks and she can't do anything about it.  Let's all hope the young one makes it through the night and that tomorrow brings a large buffet  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2009, 15:43 »
I just got home, thank god she came home, I hope the wee one makes it to the morning til the food comes.  And here is news from warbler and kim who live in Italy:

I'm in touch with the friends in Roma.
Tomorrow morning the catering service will be done and going on for all the needed time.
Were all afraid Rebecca couldn't come back.. what a day! 
Well, she's back, but even if not, the chicks would be taken and saved, then released. Nobody will die!
Thank you all for your friendly concern