Author Topic: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)  (Read 19825 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2009, 13:54 »
Well at least she returned...
Not sure why she didn't bring back any food though...hope someone brings food to her and her chicks soon.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2009, 13:13 »
Rebecca just returned and I am pretty sure that she didn't bring any food with her as the chicks didn't react much.  It is almost dark and she is bundling the chicks underneath her, or as much as possible anyway now that they are larger. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2009, 12:36 »
Warbler just posted again, the cam will go off soon for the evening but they are meeting this evening to discuss:  I suspect by morning there will only be 4 to rescue  :'( :'(.  I have to leave soon for an appointment but soon as I get home later I will log on to see what transpired.   Hoping for the best.

Whether there's direct intervention this evening or not, decisions will certainly be taken this evening. There's a 'falconcena', where people on the forum get together and have dinner in a pizzeria or restaurant, in Rome this evening and the kestrels will be the main subject, I'm sure. The cam will go off fairly soon so none of us will have any more news at that point. All I can do is watch for after-dinner news and post it so that you can all see it as soon as you log on again.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:38 by carly »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2009, 12:21 »
DIDDO Carly  >:(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2009, 12:16 »
The forum is now saying they may not be able to do anything until tomorrow.  This is all so tragic.  :'(

I do have a few thoughts on nature right at this moment but none of them printable  >:(

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2009, 12:11 »
It's just hard to be sitting half a world away and feeling so helpless.  I know from all the things that happened here last year that's it not as simple as just strolling over and coming to the rescue in minutes but as you say 'hard to watch'.  You don't want to watch but once you know it's hard to just turn your back. 

You are so right Carly. I still have the Rebecca cam open.  I wish that they would leave them some more food now so that if Rebecca comes back at dusk she will have something to feed them.  It will be in the upper 20,s for the next 4 days so I am sure that the chicks would be O.K. on their own for much of the day if they can support Rebecca in feeding them.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2009, 11:47 »
Come on little guys/gals, hang on...help is the way!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2009, 11:23 »
Well it makes me feel better to do it even though I'm sure someone is watching them, after all what would be the point of a web cam if no one there cared.

It's just hard to be sitting half a world away and feeling so helpless.  I know from all the things that happened here last year that's it not as simple as just strolling over and coming to the rescue in minutes but as you say 'hard to watch'.  You don't want to watch but once you know it's hard to just turn your back. 

I'm going to step away and have a quick lunch but I'll be back asap!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 11:17 »
Oh I'm so happy that someone will interveen if Rebecca doesn't return.  As you wrote Carly, I hope that little one makes it until then.  So sad to see  :'(
Good for you Carly...thank you thank you thank you for emailing to see that those little ones get looked after. 

Too bad that someone just couldn't go and give a little bit of food before nightfall.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:19 by allikat »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 11:13 »
Warbler just replied to my query, he said we should feel fairly certain that if Rebecca is not back by nightfall that Rome will intervene and rescue them.

I hope the little one can hang on that long  :'(

I've also emailed Italy...would you expect any less from me  :P

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 11:03 »
Oh no oh no!!   :'(

I just want someone to come in and take the chicks to foster them.  Oh Rebecca, where are you? 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 10:36 »
More bad news, someone from Italy just posted on BCAW board the following, Rebecca is now MIA:

I can confirm that Kestrel Catering will make another delivery tomorrow. Unfortunately, there's now another potential problem - Rebecca has been away quite some time - much longer than we'd expect a mother with young chicks in the nest to stay away. Anxiety in the Italian forum is growing rapidly.
I don't have to go out now so I'll keep checking the cam until it gets too dark and I'll post any news as soon as we get it.

I've replied to Warbler's post and asked if he knew if they would intervene and possibly rescue the little ones if Rebecca doesn't come back before dark.  I'm afriad that small one won't live until morning if mom isn't back with food soon.  *sigh* Why do I torture myself so much  :'(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:40 by carly »

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 10:33 »
I agree that the little one doesn't look good.  :(  I don't think that I can watch anymore.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 10:24 »
That little one that's just laying there doesn't look good  :'(
All the other chicks are upright and huddling close together and this one just looks weak.  I know it's nature but very hard to watch.  I really just want to put my hands into the monitor and grab them all and save them...Hopefully they will interveen before tomorrow or Rebecca comes back to the nestbox with some food. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 09:37 »
Just threw some Italy posts into the Italian tranlator and apparently they are going to deliver more food tomorrow.  They feel the birds are ok with all the food they ate so far.