Author Topic: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)  (Read 19836 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 08:58 »
they are all awake now and grabbing at each other's beaks and necks...not sure if it's a sign of affection or because they are hungry.  Rebecca has been out for awhile now.

The fifth one just lays there and barely moves...I don't think this is going to end well.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:06 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 08:15 »
I don't know how they will help them feed the chicks for the next month which is apparently how long they will need to.  From what I've managed to dig up on the web, eurasian kestrels stay in the box for at least 5 weeks and then with parents for another month or so until they learn to hunt.

A nest of 5 would require the parents to hunt approximately 7 times a day so as TPC said there is no way Rebecca could manage that all on her own.  I'm just worried that in her quest to try and feed her babies, she will forfeit her own life.  I know..it's nature..

Couldn't find much on behaviours of parents.  They do mate for life but in the event of death they will take on a new mate but no details on whether that would happen in an event where the female/male already has a brood.  They have an extremely high mortality rate as well, 70% don't make it to live 2 years. 

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 07:55 »
Rebecca came back empty handed.  I'm screaming at the monitor for them to bring them more food  :'( :'(
Rebecca stayed with the chicks for a while and has now left, hopefully to go hunting.  The weather there is 24 with light rain.  I have no idea what the food plans are, perhaps the people are monitoring to see how the hunting goes before intervening again.  Or maybe they are out getting food.  I don't know what the logistics would be for finding a big supply of mice.   ???

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 07:12 »
Rebecca came back empty handed.  I'm screaming at the monitor for them to bring them more food  :'( :'(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 06:42 »
7:40 am EST and Rebecca cam is up - and wow they ate all that food that was left for them!!  So much for it lasting til Saturday...let's hope they make another delivery today  :'(

Chicks look bigger this morning although I can only make out 4 so far. Let's hope they are still there and the 5th is just under the pile.  Mom is out, no doubt looking for food for them.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 04:58 »
5:56 am EST and the Rebecca/Nembo cam is down :(.  Hope she and the kids are okay this morning.

I looked in on Rome and had a mini heart attack as the box is empty - no chicks at all until I saw a spot waaaaaaaaaaaaay down at the end of the skinny ledge so they must have a place they can make their way too from that ledge.

Still 2 left with Felix and Aisha...don't see number 3 back home yet unless he's back and one of the others decided to go.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 13:52 »
I wonder if like peregrines, they would accept a new mate now to help and would he accept the kids..assuming of course there are some other kestrels around for her.

Some do, some don't.  Trey's mother, Madame, took a new mate (Trey's dad, T-Rex) while she was in mid-incubation ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47 »
Rebecca must have seen something from the nestbox because she suddenly flew out and a few minutes later came back in with more food and there's another feeding going on. 

She's helping herself to one of the things left in the box now too.  She seems a bit stunned, poor thing.  Must be hard to realize your mate is gone and now you have to try and raise 5 kids..I wonder if like peregrines, they would accept a new mate now to help and would he accept the kids..assuming of course there are some other kestrels around for her.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 13:00 by carly »

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 12:05 »
It is a relief that Rebecca has accepted the "gift" mice.  It was also a relief to see that the little guy got quite a bit of food as well. 
The current temperature there is 25 C. These guys are forturnate to be in Rome and not Winnipeg or Edmonton.  ::)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 11:49 »
Rebecca is giving the chicks a feeding with one of the specimens left for her  :D
That's a very good sign.  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 11:48 »
Rebecca is giving the chicks a feeding with one of the specimens left for her  :D 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:50 by carly »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 11:01 »
Pretty little bird that Rebecca ... cute chicks too ...

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 10:48 »
Rebecca has been snuggled up to her sleeping brood for a while now. Nice to see.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 10:22 »
Rebecca and Nembo and family are Kestrels...does that apply to them too TPC?

Do all birds thermoregulate at the same stage - 10 days?

Rebeccas is there now looking after them and probably wondering where are the food came from  ;)

Don't know enough about European Kestrels to say for sure if their thermoregulate age is the same as peregrines - they are larger than our kestrels and merlins but not so large as our peregrines as I recall.  I would think just based on body mass, its pretty close though.  I will see what I can find out though ...

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 10:08 »
I think that I am the one who is worse than a fussy mom.   ;D  I am always worried when I see very young chicks alone for long periods which is why I have been translating their forum for a few days.  The temperature must have been right for the chicks for the last couple of days as they have been on their own for most of the time and survived. I saw Rebecca come back at dusk yesterday.  The chicks were obviously hungry, mouths open and one pecking at her.  Eventually she just bundled them all underneath her for the night.   :(