Author Topic: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)  (Read 19817 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: American Kestrels - Italy / Birdcam (Rebecca)
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 10:00 »
Thanks Maggie...sorry I was posting same time as you and repeating ...lol  .... I'm worse than a fussy mom!

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 09:59 »
They are very young TPC, they just hatched last week I think?  Not more than 10 days old I would think....Maggie can correct me if I'm wrong.
The first 2 hatched May 8th, then 2 on the 9th, and 1 on the 10th, so they are very young. 
Rebecca was just feeding them so we will have to see what happens.  From the translation it appears that the people who intervened think that they have provided enought food to last them through Saturday. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 09:54 »
Rebecca and Nembo and family are Kestrels...does that apply to them too TPC?

Do all birds thermoregulate at the same stage - 10 days?

Rebeccas is there now looking after them and probably wondering where are the food came from  ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:01 by carly »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 09:52 »
I should let you know that peregrines mostly won't "take" food that's been left for them - even if its fresh and exactly what they love best.  Just so you know.  That may be why they are being sure to supplementally feed by hand.  However, it does depend on the bird and perhaps her circumstance/tolerance/drive to have her chicks survive ... going to be interesting to watch ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 09:50 »
At less than 10 days the chicks are at risk from exposure since they can't thermoregulate (regulate their body temps - hot or cold) until they are about 10 days of age.  If they are 10 or older, she knows they can last for short periods without her, but not if there is rain or colder temps or hotter temps - she will need to be there to shield them.  10 days is the absolute earliest she could leave them alone - they still can't defend themselves or last long without her, but she does have a bit more leeway now.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 09:47 »
An adult is back.  I think that it is Rebecca and she seems to have food.  She was around while the people were at the nestbox but no sign of Nembo.  The chicks must be full as they are not begging for food.  It appears that the humans left several mice behind as well so hopefully Rebecca will use them to feed the chicks.  Think good thoughts here.  :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 09:46 »
They are very young TPC, they just hatched last week I think?  Not more than 10 days old I would think....Maggie can correct me if I'm wrong.

Rebecca was just back and now she's off...cam is on and off for me!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 09:42 »
Actually a single bird cannot feed that many chicks unless they are old enough to not require protection from predators/weather.  If they were close to fledging, she might be able to pull it off because she could spend her time hunting for herself and the chicks.  None of them would be very well fed, but they could probably all make it.  Anything younger and its impossible for her to be able to meet everyone's needs, chicks would definitely be lost.

As for hand-feeding the chicks at the nestsite, neat idea, great that they have the access to the nest, required food, and expertise!  With luck the chicks are old enough not to imprint on the people rather than Mom.  I'll be very interested to see what happens .... Oh and by the way, that's a feeding every 4 hours day and night folks!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38 »
Grrr..can't get the cam anymore.  Well at least we know they are being taken care of.  Must be hard to be a single parent bird and have 5 mouths to feed...gees.  I hope Rebecca will be okay and hasnt' gone out looking for Nembo and falls victim to whatever Nembo did  :'(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 09:37 »
I'm also very happy that someone decided to interveen.  Help out those you can't ask for it.   :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 09:18 »
Thank you for letting us know Maggie, everytime I've checked on them they looked all snuggly ... I had no idea this was going on.  And thank you to the wonderful people who have decided to intervene and help the family!! 

They are now up on my desktop..going to keep my eye on them for here on in!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:26 by carly »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 09:12 »
Oh no... :'(

Rebecca certainly can't provide food and shelter for all these chicks...I hope Nembo is okay and that Rebecca can handle this with more food provided.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 09:08 »
Ack..oh no!

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 09:07 »
I didn't want to say anything before but Nembo hasn't been seen for days.  People were hoping that he was just out hunting.  Rebecca has been out a lot, it is assumed hunting, and has only come back with little items, sometimes nothing, not enough to feed the chicks. This nest is at a school and from what I can gather from the translation there was a decision to intervene and provide quail.  Let's hope that this is temporary and that the parents will return with food.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 09:02 »
I just saw that...what's going on??  What happened to Rebecca and Nembo?  I haven't been able to see this cam for a few days.  ???