Author Topic: OH / Cleveland - Terminal Tower - 2009-15  (Read 21054 times)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Terminal Tower - 2009 / Buckeye & SW
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2009, 11:30 »
It's going to be interesting to watch how this all pans out for these two in the spring. They look like they can make beautiful babies!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2009, 07:09 »
Great photos Alison, I love the one of SW walking as well...she looks like she's on a mission!!

Ranger is a large male isn't he?  he's almost the same size as her.  I was poking around the Washington site last night and they were talking about the two chicks they banded earlier this year and said the female juvie took the largest band available - a 7B whereas most all females take a 7a and the male took the 7a band!!  They said they had noticed that in the past few years the falcons seem to be larger than in previous years.  I thought that was interesting.  Perhaps adapting to the dangers of buildings in an urban setting by growing larger?  Or just a better diet available to them?

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2009, 23:14 »
WOW!!!

Well, I guess we just have to be patient.  If SW accepts Ranger, this will be one beautiful pair of falcons.  These two are just striking!  Good luck Ranger, you need to do a lot of e-chupping!  She's one tough Gal!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2009, 20:50 »
Ranger and SW

The identity of the new male has been confirmed; he is indeed Ranger, B/92, from the Eastlake nest, born in 2008.  He definitely wants SW, the nest, and the territory. Whether SW will accept him or not will be her decision. SW is an extremely fierce falcon; back in 2002, she killed Buckeye's former mate, the mighty Zenith, in a bitterly-contested territorial battle. Scott Wright went out on to the narrow ledge, on the twelfth floor of the Terminal Tower, without a rope or harness, to bring Zenith inside. He could not leave her lying on the ledge, and I totally understand that.

Over the years since then, SW has become a much loved falcon. She and Buckeye forged a very strong, and gentle, bond. They worked perfectly together each year to incubate their eggs and raise their young. Buckeye was a great provider, and very protective of his family.

Ranger                                                                           SW (left) and Ranger
(Photos by Chad & Chris)

Ranger seems to be a fairly large tiercel; there is very little size difference between him and SW.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2009, 20:18 »
SW

One of my favourite pics of SW striding along the ledge earlier this year. Her feet don't even seem to be touching the ground. Photo by Chad and Chris:

Photos of SW by Scott Wright, showing her delicate markings. She has a beautiful, full dark hood.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2009, 05:06 »
Great photos, I love the one of hiim peeking around the corner  ;D  He does look nervous, poor guy will have to get used to all the humans watching him.  I like his name too  :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2009, 20:10 »
Oh...but he is a BEAUTY!!!!   :-*

I guess we will just have to wait and see if this is a match.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2009, 19:58 »
The new male

Scott Wright took some wonderful photos of the new male at the Terminal Tower. He is not yet identified, but the band, black/green, looks very much like B/92 to me. That would mean he is Ranger, born 2008, from the Eastlake Power Plant Nest in Ohio. I think he looks very young, and very nervous.

Photos by Scott Wright:

He is in the new nest box; SW is on the ledge:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 19:53 »
T-Rex, Trey's Dad, had a full black cap (I'll find a photo for y'all) that has continued through his family though few have had as black a cap as his.  Trey's and Ivy's are good examples though, no brown marks .... and the folks in Omaha remarked on Winnie's (another T-Rex kid) full black cap when she turned up there a decade ago.

I'd love to see a photo of T-Rex! Zeus in Omaha also has a full dark hood.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2009, 09:43 »
It's in the genes.... ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2009, 00:34 »
T-Rex, Trey's Dad, had a full black cap (I'll find a photo for y'all) that has continued through his family though few have had as black a cap as his.  Trey's and Ivy's are good examples though, no brown marks .... and the folks in Omaha remarked on Winnie's (another T-Rex kid) full black cap when she turned up there a decade ago.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2009, 16:19 »
How cool to see that dark hood passed down through the generations

Offline dodobird

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2009, 11:08 »
Absolutely, Allikat.
They are stunning birds. We are so lucky to be able to share their lives for a little while.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2009, 09:01 »
Beautiful photos......Aurora was stunning with that dark hood!  Shaker and Raider....soo beautiful!
Onyx  :o, beautiful!
Diana = gorgeous
FALCONS:  AMAZING!!!!
the experience:  PRICELESS!!!!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2009, 05:03 »
Wow...thanks for all that historical information Alison and the lovely photos of Buckeye's offspring and of his mom Aurora - she sure was a beautiful falcon.  It's interesting how Buckeye's genes were so dominant and all of his youngsters seem to have inherited his hood - I'm kind of partial to the dark hood myself .