Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19

<< < (35/56) > >>

Elaine L:
They just finished banding the two chicks at the Univ. of Montreal.  It is all over now, but the parents and the chicks are still stressed.  The parents were furious and attacked the banding team during the process, according to what I read on the live chat.  Everyone should settle down soon, I hope, but right now they are all the nestbox, mouths open, and mom does not strike me as being the best-natured falcon around.

Kinderchick:
Now wouldn't that be interesting if Polly did take the other chick to another nest to care for! 8) Who knows? But probably highly unlikely.

ballywing:
Polly hasn't been seen since May 11th - Some are wondering if she took the 'stolen' chick to another nest to care for, (probably not but who knows) ...some think she's finally flown the coop.  ??? - If so it's probably just as well for the well-being of this nest!!!  8)

Alison:

--- Quote from: bev. on May 17, 2010, 07:22 ---. . . mom goes out to catch a pigeon once in a while. It usually takes her less than one hour to catch one - I think her dad Buckeye passed on the good genes ;-)

--- End quote ---

I think you're right! Buckeye was famous as a great hunter, and he also passed his abilities on to his son Rocky.

There is a poll to vote for names for the chicks on the blog:

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/293025/Noms-des-fauconneaux-de-l-UdeM

The chicks earlier:

And a few minutes ago:

bev.:
Two comments from EVE

Not seen Polly still since last Tuesday - but I'm not worried about her. I'm sure she's OK or she would be here begging to her parents...!! I would be surprised if she was far, I think we'll see her again in the next weeks.

Yeah I "lost" Polly for a week in the past. Maybe she's gone with a new boyfriend? :-)

I am pretty sure she dropped the baby when Roger was chasing her and when she realized what it was, because she was back on the tower in no time (less than 5 minutes), and stayed there for at least half an hour. Spirit was looking for it right after Roger came back, I followed her hoping she would lead me to it but no luck. Then when she was back in the box I tried to search where Roger was looking, he also seemed to be looking for the third baby. Unfortunately Polly flew toward the city so there is a lot of places and roofs where it could have fallen. If it was in the cemetery in the other direction it would have been easier for me... I have a very good view of the second box from my window, the baby is not there unfortunately.

At least the two remaining are doing very well! I was concerned that Polly would steal from Roger and prevent him for doing his dad duties but it's not the case, he's really good at bringing starlings and small birds and mom goes out to catch a pigeon once in a while. It usually takes her less than one hour to catch one - I think her dad Buckeye passed on the good genes ;-)  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version