Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital - 2009-21

<< < (2/11) > >>

Kinderchick:
2011 NESTING SEASON

!!! Both adults on site
February 13, 2011 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital
Linda Woods Reports:
A quick spot check on all 3 downtown nesting locations had both adults on site.

Today, 2 adult peregrines were sitting on the east side of the hospital in the far north ledge.

Not sure who they are though.  :-\

Alison:
An update from the site: no I.D. yet on the resident birds.

!!! FOUR EGGS and Peregrines are on site
May 16, 2010 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital

Linda Woods Reports:

Long distance observation confirmed 4 eggs on the 6th ledge from the north on the east side of Mt.Sinai Hospital.

Two adults were observed this morning sitting in the 6th and 7th ledges. The adult sitting in the 6thledge, with the eggs, was not showing typical incubation, it was just standing over the eggs the entire time I was observing.  In the mean time, the adult occupying the 7thledge was showing intense incubation behaviour, shielding by ‘mantling’ over the area.

When the adult finally came off the ledges, the 6th ledge bird exposed at least 4 eggs to my view. While the bird in the 7th ledge, I could not see anything. The shade had moved onto this area of the ledge and put everything to dark to see.  When the 7th ledge bird returned it immediately went into the far area of this ledge and was there for approximately 5 minutes, came out and flew off. It returned seconds later and returned to the far back corner of the 7th ledge. The adult that came off the 6th ledge where the eggs are seen did not return to this area, leaving the eggs exposed. I waited and did not see where this bird had flown.

More observation is needed, to confirm an actual hatch.

Alison:
Linda's comments are encouraging. Talons crossed that Wind and Windwhistler are both there!

carly:
Linda posted this on Imprints last night when asked about Wind:

I believe "Wind" is currently nesting at Mt.Sinai Hospital, on University Ave, Just up the street from the Sheraton Nest site. Don't have an ID on the male as yet. Need a power scope for that. Wind paid us a visit last year when we observing the Mt.Sinai nest site. She came very close to us. We we dove for cover, she came to rest on a area, where I was able to confirm her leg bands. Friday, the same person was again observing the pair and confirmed the band colours of the female, but not the numbers. But given creatures of habit, her resting spots are the same as last year, so I'm confident that it is Wind nesting at Mt.Sinai Hospital.  That would be wonderful if it is Windwhistler, as her mate. Both Wind and Windwhistler were hatched in 1998, so that is pushing the age. Windwhistler was hatched in Etobicoke,( Toronto )

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: Alison on May 01, 2010, 14:09 ---
--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on May 01, 2010, 12:12 ---Are "they" still thinking its Windwhistler and Wind?

--- End quote ---

Nothing has been mentioned . . . no definite I.D. so far.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Alison!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version