Author Topic: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente  (Read 23529 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 18:13 »
Really?  Why am I not convinced.  I'm looking at my bird books here and the books agree with me.  Hmmm.  Is the larger kestrel all white with black and the smaller has the peachy/taupe/brown (whatever)? And which is male/female?  (according to you guys as opposed to my books)??

And, can you believe this.....I can't find my way to this Netherland thread unless I accidently stumble upon it after searching all over.  Is there a quick way someone can help me with.  Yeah, I've got lots of problems!
It's under Other Peregrines:
~ European
~ Netherlands

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 18:12 »
Path to thread:

Other Peregrine Projects
          » European Peregrines 
                » Netherlands
                     » Netherlands - Raven Invasion

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 18:08 »
Really?  Why am I not convinced.  I'm looking at my bird books here and the books agree with me.  Hmmm.  Is the larger kestrel all white with black and the smaller has the peachy/taupe/brown (whatever)? And which is male/female?  (according to you guys as opposed to my books)??

And, can you believe this.....I can't find my way to this Netherland thread unless I accidently stumble upon it after searching all over.  Is there a quick way someone can help me with.  Yeah, I've got lots of problems!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 18:04 »
It was the kestrel involved in that fight with the crow.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 18:02 »
I believe it was a Kestrel and the crow involved in that fight.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 18:00 »
Tracy can you tell me have you seen a falcon at this nest in the Netherlands?  I swear the fight I saw the other night was a falcon. Totally white with black specks in colour.  It sat in outside on the ledge for a long time after the fight so I had a very good look at it.  Quite a bit bigger than the kestrel.  Definately was not the kestrel. I have seen the doves, the kestrel and the ravens of course.  Are we in agreement on this?   Curious.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 13:47 »
I have no idea why I watched the battle between the kestrel and the raven...looked like the raven got a few good hits on this poor little kestrel.  I hate territorial disputes!!
I don't know what happened to the kestrel after the fight inside the nestbox, but it still looks like they are fighting for this nest  :'(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 12:25 »
I noticed that, Tracy that these were kestrels. My heart just borle watching the two. I had to turn it off.

boy, I think this box will be empty this year.

the owl was smart to take off. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 10:43 »
Earlier today there were 2 doves hanging out for a couple of hours. All has been quiet since.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 10:24 »
1025 hrs (Winnipeg time) - box has twigs but no occupants of any species, they are 6-8 hours ahead of us, so everyone could be off killing their dinner ...

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 00:57 »
O.K. So, I just watched this site for the first time  :o and Holy Moly, it is like watching a horror movie.  One crow (jackdaw?) in the nestbox), a beautiful and extremely nervous Kestrel at the entrance and eventually attacked and replaced by another crow. Then 2 crows in the nestbox scratching around, stirrring up feathers, feathers flying, whose feathers, doves perhaps? And outside there are dove sounds and someone walking a huge dog.  No end of action.  No wonder people are talking about this site.  :-\

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 23:21 »
Just as a little note here, y'all know that a torenvalk is a kestrel - here they are the American Kestrels (or sparrowhawks) and they are smaller than the European variety.  European kestrels are the size of our Merlins while European Merlins are the size of American Kestrels.

That is also why the nestbox is in such demand - both Common (or European) and American Kestrels are cavity nesters, they use holes in trees, buildings and nestboxes (wood duck boxes here) to nest in.  They are not the only birds that like this kind of structure - the owl, 'cause they are cavity nesters, the doves for the security, the crows because anywhere save that they (being big birds) can access is a good site.

Common Kestrel links that may be of interest ...
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Kestrel
- http://www.raptorfoundation.org.uk/kestrel.html
- Google Images results for the Common Kestrel

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 21:50 »
Well Bev, let's all just hope that this will have a happy ending for everyone and every bird!!!
I don't want to take away the chance for the Ravens to lay eggs and more importantly, I want the falcons to nest at this site plus....I don't want any territorial fighting!!!  Is that too much to ask?  I hope not!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 21:33 »
this is what I do not want to see happen in Edmonton.Fighting in the nest boxes is just nasty. Out in the open is one thing but they are trapped in the nest box.
I know I have seen it in Edmonton???? :o :o

thanks for the post.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 21:07 »
I think this is the one everyone is discussing....

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/torenvalk