Author Topic: ME / BRI - 2009-16  (Read 41765 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Maine / BRI - 2009 / Big Sumo & Bree
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 20:58 »
Well now I don't know  :-[
I think I was just getting excited!  I saw the incubating falcon upright for a bit and looking around and now it's back down again...so I don't know.  Guess the morning light will tell us!  Come on eggs...hatch!  Come on....HATCH!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 20:51 »
I hope someone else is watching...!!!

This falcon was upright for quite awhile..and I can't see what's going on!  Argh!  This falcon is a little restless right now!!  Keeps moving and shifting around...not sure if it's the light that's bothering the falcon or if something underneath is wanting to introduce him/her self to the world!
I think we just might have a hatch here!  There's a dim light that's shining on the nestbox right now that I have not seen before..so I'm not sure if someone else involved in the project is trying to get a glimpse?

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 13:22 »
Glad they make sense  :D sometimes (actually oftentimes) they are late night - that one was at 1am - activities which can sometimes make them, lets say, grammatically interesting  ;)
I don't how you do it TPC....you are one busy lady!!!  We thank you for everything!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 13:18 »
Glad they make sense  :D sometimes (actually oftentimes) they are late night - that one was at 1am - activities which can sometimes make them, lets say, grammatically interesting  ;)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 12:45 »
Sides on the box/tray aren't a requirement, ledges in the wild do not have edges after all.  Alot of the boxes with webcams are build up high and affixed to something so the edges are an added precaution to protect the chicks and to provide the adults and young with an edge to hang onto.  Imagine the Elk River box, you are either in the box or on the bars/frame attached to the box.  On the Radisson, though we have a ledge the chicks use as a runway, our box is narrower than many others so we have sides to protect them if they get too curious/adventurous.  At the Maine site, the box is in a niche, so the chicks when they get big enough to want to wander off the gravel (> 3-4 weeks of age) they are still protected as the niche has walls on at least three sides - so think of the walls around the nest tray as really (really) high tray edges.  A similar tray is in use at the Hamilton, Ontario nestsite if you want to check out the design in a differend environment.

The chicks and the adults will be fine.  The gravel will help the adults to keep the eggs in place for incubation and the chicks won't be nearly mobile enough to go anywhere until after banding age (3+ weeks).  After that, the chicks don't need the adults protection from the weather and it won't matter if they stay together on the gravel.
Great explanation TPC...thanks!  You always know how to make us "novices" feel a lot better about things  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 01:00 »
Sides on the box/tray aren't a requirement, ledges in the wild do not have edges after all.  Alot of the boxes with webcams are build up high and affixed to something so the edges are an added precaution to protect the chicks and to provide the adults and young with an edge to hang onto.  Imagine the Elk River box, you are either in the box or on the bars/frame attached to the box.  On the Radisson, though we have a ledge the chicks use as a runway, our box is narrower than many others so we have sides to protect them if they get too curious/adventurous.  At the Maine site, the box is in a niche, so the chicks when they get big enough to want to wander off the gravel (> 3-4 weeks of age) they are still protected as the niche has walls on at least three sides - so think of the walls around the nest tray as really (really) high tray edges.  A similar tray is in use at the Hamilton, Ontario nestsite if you want to check out the design in a differend environment.

The chicks and the adults will be fine.  The gravel will help the adults to keep the eggs in place for incubation and the chicks won't be nearly mobile enough to go anywhere until after banding age (3+ weeks).  After that, the chicks don't need the adults protection from the weather and it won't matter if they stay together on the gravel.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 22:33 »
They definitely do.  It's a great improvement! 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 21:46 »
I thought the same thing, allikat -- "There are no sides!"  I assume they know what they're doing tho, and it gives us a great view! 
I keep looking at this shot and it really looks like they didn't allow enough depth to this box...but as you wrote, "we assume they know what they're doing".
I think you can agree with me on this Alison....I think the falcons look quite a bit more comfortable with this new nestbox.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 20:40 »
I thought the same thing, allikat -- "There are no sides!"  I assume they know what they're doing tho, and it gives us a great view! 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 19:54 »
Has anyone seen a shift change???  I'm curious to know if the eggs are sitting in a scrape as the incubating falcon looks a lot more confortable..

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 12:04 »
Here's a pic from a few moments ago, the only one I could catch before it went black again:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 05:04 »
I suspect that I wasn't much, if any, help.  The box was changed so soon after I contacted the project that I suspect that they already had it in the works.  I appreciate your confidence in my abilities though!  :-*  (We now have to see what happens in Edmonton)

Thank you so much for contacting the project about this, TPC, and for helping to make this situation much better! It's so great to be able to watch the falcons incubate their eggs normally now, instead of struggling to keep the eggs under them. I hope the eggs are still viable, after everything they have already been through. It was also really good to see that the birds readily accepted the new nest tray and did not abandon their eggs.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 10:03 »
This is amazing news!!!!  Oh I'm so happy...thank you TPC for your connections and making the suggestion to change this nest box.  

I suspect that I wasn't much, if any, help.  The box was changed so soon after I contacted the project that I suspect that they already had it in the works.  I appreciate your confidence in my abilities though!  :-*  

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 19:41 »
I just looked at the Maine site...working my way through all of the Falcon Cams I have in my favorites  ::)
Gotta check em all!!!!  :P
This is amazing news!!!!  Oh I'm so happy...thank you TPC for your connections and making the suggestion to change this nest box.  And....thank you Carly for your voice to make things happen after noticing these falcons needed a helping hand.  I'm proud to be a human that cares for the wildlife....when we can help, we should!!!
I'm so happy about this that it's making my cry!!!

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 18:56 »
Such fantastic news...I just watched a changing of the egg guard, and no bare wood underneath.  Just was privy to another report posted by Macintosh (from another forum) who was at a luncheon with some of the Maine Falcon people...Wing Goodale, from Maine, reported that the parents hung around, but didn't put up much of a fuss...the nestbox switch took approximately 5 minutes, with no problems...

Now these eggs have a chance...just so exciting!!!