Author Topic: Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo  (Read 46707 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo (2009)
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2009, 22:00 »
Gotta love animals..I'm just sayin'!   :)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2009, 16:09 »
She gently picks it up with her mouth than cradles and positions it with her paws. She is amazing to watch. She examines the baby closely while it nurses than gives it a bath. Time to snooze, than start all over.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2009, 11:43 »
Over the last couple of days, I've managed to see the little one alone several times. It's hard to believe that such a tiny, almost featureless creature could belong to Bai Yun. Mothers' instincts are truly amazing -- I don't know how she manages to pick up the infant without crushing it, much less nurse it and cradle it while it sleeps. The difference in size is staggering!

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2009, 10:00 »
From the original panda cam page, go to the panda blogs. The latest has a video of the newborn as Bai Yun leaves it and you can get a great glimpse of our baby and also hear it call out for mama to get herself right back.

The warm fuzzies : looking at peregrine fluff balls or panda babies, sigh, two such different worlds but I am hooked on both.

Years ago, I saw a drawing of Garfield the cat, sitting with his eyes closed, holding his teddy bear snugly, smiling serenely with a dream image above his head of a huge teddy bear, holding Garfield!

This must be what a panda cub dreams about! :)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2009, 22:08 »
Yay, I got a glimpse of the wee one just now.  Bai was cleaning it and the lower half of it was exposed to the camera and they zoomed in on it.

;D

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2009, 22:33 »
Argh!! Missed it by - that much!!!

*sigh* I saw you online, that's why I posted it so you could see  :P  She will start leaving more frequently in the next few days but for short little bursts.  The first 10 days are the really crucial ones it seems - kind of like our little falcon babies.  The baby will be a week old tomorrow already! 

Aw, thanks carly.  I appreciate that.  :-*   I have been able to catch a couple of small glimpses of a part of the little one.  But not the whole thing.  I will just keep watching. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2009, 18:51 »
Oh, that was a real treat -- first time I've managed to tune in at the right time to see the baby.

Kinda looks like a wee little mousie doesn't he...hehe.  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2009, 18:50 »

*sigh* I saw you online, that's why I posted it so you could see  :P  She will start leaving more frequently in the next few days but for short little bursts.  The first 10 days are the really crucial ones it seems - kind of like our little falcon babies.  The baby will be a week old tomorrow already! 

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2009, 18:07 »

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2009, 18:05 »
Oh, that was a real treat -- first time I've managed to tune in at the right time to see the baby.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2009, 18:00 »
Baby in full view now!!!  Can see the faint black a bit too!!!

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/pandacam/index.html

Oh that was awesome!!  And the cam guys zoomed right in on him...sooo cute and teeny tiny  :-* :-*
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 18:04 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2009, 15:58 »
They've got a new blog up today Birdlover and it addresses your questions waay better and more accurately than I ever could  ;)

http://blogs.sandiegozoo.org/

And the cub is vocal...more than ZZ ...  In an older blog when ZZ was born they did a comparison on the vocalizations and the boy (Mei Sheng) was the more vocal ...so I'm hoping this little one is a boy  :-* 

Grasping at straws I know but I can hope  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2009, 13:09 »
They really are so tiny and helpless.  Can you imagine finally opening your eyes after a month and seeing 'da big mama' ..hehe..I wonder what they think  :o :o   Although I suppose that might be part of the reason they are born blind..nature's way of getting them to bond with momma and depend on her so you won't care that her paw is bigger than you are  ;)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2009, 12:51 »
And so fetal looking

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2009, 10:42 »
See, I miss it every time.  Was gettin' ready for work and I don't think that the boss would accept the excuse that I was waiting for Bai to leave the den so I could check out the babe!! LOL

I did get a bit of a peek last night when she was snuggling with it under her chin.  Could see the head and a little paw waving around.   I just can't get over how tiny it is.