Author Topic: Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo  (Read 46688 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Pandas - Georgia / Atlanta Zoo (2009)
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2009, 07:43 »
Bai has left the den, hurry baby is out in full view...oh I see mama's shadow and she's back.  Must have been a quick 'loo' break  :-\

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2009, 05:14 »

Do Giant Panda females stay in the den and not eat until the cub is older?  I remember hearing on the birth video that she stays pretty much stays in that position (wrapped around the cub) for the next three months.

Anyone have a website that I might find the answer?  Or does anyone know the answer?

Bai ate on day three with one of her cubs and not until day 8 with another.  Some have been known to fast up to 2 weeks or longer - those in the wild where food isn't left right outside the den by keepers  ::)

Before she starts her denning, she will start bulking up on food - can gain an extra 40+ pounds or so in preparation for the birth.  This is what enables her to fast when the cub is born. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2009, 00:39 »
Ok...can I have one of these since I can't have a falcon chick?  ::)
So cute... :-*

....so much to say here.... :(
A mouthful I bet  ::)

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2009, 00:02 »

....so much to say here.... :(

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2009, 22:02 »
Go to the4 SD zoo panda site and review the animal attendant blogs from last year. You will see that the mom gradually leaves the cub for longer and longer periods but not until they are able to regulate their temperature. The blog was pretty much a daily log of activity and will give you an idea of how long that takes.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2009, 20:21 »
A question.  I have tried to find out on the internet but can't seem to find the answer.

Do Giant Panda females stay in the den and not eat until the cub is older?  I remember hearing on the birth video that she stays pretty much stays in that position (wrapped around the cub) for the next three months.

I know that polar bears are in their dens without food for three or four months after the birth of cubs.  Their cubs are very small and helpless for the first few months until they emerge from the den.

Anyone have a website that I might find the answer?  Or does anyone know the answer?

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2009, 19:56 »
Thanks so much for the website info.....what a pleasure to see such a "wee" one.   Pandas are so cute and cuddly looking.  Just to look at!!!!

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2009, 17:23 »

I'm thinking a falcon chick would be MUCH easier to care for than one of those Allikat!!!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2009, 16:08 »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2009, 16:06 »
Bai Yun took a 5 minute break today and gave us a lovely view of the new chubby cubby  :D.  There are photos and a short video here (scroll down) if you missed it - the cub looks very healthy and well fed  :-*

http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1802&start=1500

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2009, 14:35 »
It's okay to miss out, remember the time lapse video for each day will let you catch up.

Bai is an amazing mother. She nurses the little one, cleans it, keeps it warm and close, sleeps and then starts all over again!

This period is so exacting for the mom that sometimes a tired mama can roll over on her little baby and crush it!

Bai Yun has it all down pat! She is an expert.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2009, 12:48 »
YAY!   :D  We just got a glimpse of the wee one tucked under mum's chin.  It's sooooo little!

:o :o

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2009, 09:41 »
Haven't caught sight of the cub yet, but Bai Yun looks much more comfortable now than she did several days ago (no big surprise there). It's hard to imagine a cub the size of a stick of butter, and harder still to imagine it tucked safely into the midst of all that panda! Nature is amazing.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2009, 09:38 »
Congratulationa Bai Yun and Gao Gao!!!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2009, 07:06 »
Yep pretty much, her den is quite tiny - unlike Lun Lun who had a huge cavern to lay in.  Apparently Bai's den is made to imitate what she would have in the wild.