Author Topic: ON / Toronto - King Street - 2008-15  (Read 3805 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Toronto - King Street - 2009 / Windwhistler & Erin
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2009, 12:42 »
Just wanted to follow up on the King St nest after the fact.  Remember how the chicks were all born so many days apart and the last one a week later?  Well I had a chance to speak to Linda about it - she is the one who looks after this site and she confirmed that the female started heavy incubation immediately after she laid her first egg!  She said she had never seen anything like that in all her years of observing nest sites.  She thinks it was due to the weather being so cold especially at night and the site being so exposed to the elements that may have prompted this behaviour.  That would certainly explain the delay between hatchings.

The good news is they have all done well and fledged successfully, even little Spec.   :-*
That's great news Carly.... ;D

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2009, 12:32 »
GREAT NEWS

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2009, 08:05 »
Just wanted to follow up on the King St nest after the fact.  Remember how the chicks were all born so many days apart and the last one a week later?  Well I had a chance to speak to Linda about it - she is the one who looks after this site and she confirmed that the female started heavy incubation immediately after she laid her first egg!  She said she had never seen anything like that in all her years of observing nest sites.  She thinks it was due to the weather being so cold especially at night and the site being so exposed to the elements that may have prompted this behaviour.  That would certainly explain the delay between hatchings.

The good news is they have all done well and fledged successfully, even little Spec.   :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 17:51 »
I've moved the original message to a new Detroit thread so that we don't get folks confused - lost chicks always tend to make for some confusion!  Thanks for the infor though Carly!!

Sad news about a King St alumni and her young, she's nesting in Detroit the past 5 years:

Mark Nash Reports:
Some bad news from Detroit Mic. USA regarding Miriam and her new family.

Karianne reports: - We have had an unfortunate turn of events at one of our nest sites here in Detroit (yes Miriams nest - banded  (blk 89/H)).  I went to check on the three chicks yesterday and the nest was empty, the chicks were healthy/strong and approximately 10 days old (all three disappeared at the same time).  Miriam and Allegro have been successfull nesters for 5 years now, never once loosing a chick.  We fear that possibly they were taken!

I wonder who took them  :'(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2009, 20:20 »
On the ledge at King Street this afternoon:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2009, 23:52 »
Good things come to those who wait!  ::)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2009, 00:31 »
Adolescence can be a very cruel time to get through.  Tough on the late bloomers for sure.

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2009, 00:22 »
I gotta say, I love that pic of the five chicks.  Poor Viking looks slightly embarassed to have so much white fluff still, and off to the side to boot.  It's just freaky adorable.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 00:33 by Pchemist »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2009, 18:13 »
Check this out, they finally got an ID on the King St female for past two years - she was born in 1998!!  How awesome is that, she's 11 years old!  Great to see the older falcons still thriving and going strong...I'm so happy they band them otherwise we would never know things like this!!

Mark Nash Reports:
A huge thank you to Carol and Juanita for your help with a history on the Toronto King Street  adult female that has been a mystery for two years now.  The resident adult female that has been identified at the Toronto King Street nest site is a 1998 hatchling from Froedtert Malt in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Her name is ERIN.

Froedtert is now called ADM Milling Company but it was still Froedtert Malt when she hatched & fledged from there in 1998. Her band is indeed black over red *B/*D. Her USWFW purple anodized band is: 1807-69719

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 18:55 »
Hello your Majesty!  Beautiful!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 18:52 »
Just a couple of older pics of Majesty:

Majesty with her siblings after being rescued in 2002. Left to right: Majesty, Hope (at back), Spirit, Valour, ViKing:

Majesty's chick Maize at 25 days old:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 22:49 »
Very exciting and hopeful news! 
I love the fact that falcons are banded...and they have no idea how important that is for that brief moment of "what the heck are these humans doing to me, and why are they touching me?"

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 17:54 »
Yes I agree Liz, that was my thought too.  What exciting and hopefull news!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 17:49 »
This is so cool!  And it gives hope that some other of our other favourites could reappear. 

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 09:59 »
Well well well the royal princess has turned up after 7 years. Coooolllll now she will carry on the next genereation from birds who first nested in Toronto for the 1st time in 100 years!!!!  I love nature!