Author Topic: ON / Toronto - King Street - 2008-15  (Read 3803 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Toronto - King Street - 2009 / Windwhistler & Erin
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 14:57 »
Well for sure 1 week between eldest and youngest.  Alison may indeed have seen 3. 

I know I checked Thursday early morning and there were definitely only 2.  Number one hatched on the 9th, number two on the 12th, number 3 on possibly the 15th given Alisons pics and number 4 could have been yesterday or last night given how tiny he/she is.   So they hatched out across 7 days from eldest to youngest..wow!!

Can't wait to see TPC's reaction!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 14:49 »
Oh my goodness!!!  How long has it been for those other two eggs?
I can't believe it...History, no kidding  ;D
Way to go!  Another Congrats!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 14:46 »
Ok this will go down in the history books..but apparently the other 2 eggs have hatched....!!  As posted by Linda a few minutes ago:

Saturday 2:45 feeding time. There are now 4 hatches, and the smallest is very small compared to the eldest sitting beside it. One egg still in view, not sure if this one will be  viable

Alison: you probably did see three after all and to have them all hatch like that ...wow .... 1 week between youngest and eldest I think....I wonder....if there was a territorial battle, are all the eggs hers??  Would that be possible or is this just one of those things that happens once in a while!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 14:51 by carly »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 20:02 »
You're right Alison, it's hard to tell, but that last series of photos looks like 3 cute chicks...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 20:00 »
Nice pics Alison and yes it does look like 3 doesn't it.  I haven't seen any more updates from Linda since the beginning of the week.  I wonder who the pair is. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 19:57 »
The two chicks sometimes look like three, but I think there are only two:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 22:54 »
And speaking of King St, Mark has just posted that the new male at the Burlington Lift Bridge is a King St born male!  This is a son of Windwhistler!

I still had a remote hope that Dundas might turn up, but if there has to be a new male again this year at Burlington, I'm glad he is a son of Windwhistler!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 22:53 »
The two chicks today:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 16:09 »
And speaking of King St, Mark has just posted that the new male at the Burlington Lift Bridge is a King St born male!  This is a son of Windwhistler!

Mark Nash Reports:
With a huge thanks to Bill and Sue for getting the adult male’s band number (Solid Black band 01 over V), we finally have an identity on the new adult male at the Burlington nest site.  Its non-other than Sir Adam Beck, produced at the Toronto King street nest site in 2006.  Named by one of our sponsors (Ontario Power Generation), banded on June 9th/2006 at 32 days old, weighing in at 650 grams.

Now the focus is on the adult female to get a positive ID on her.  She continues to brood her three new hatchlings and making it difficult to get any detailed views of her leg band numbers.  we suspect that it is the same female that was photographed earlier in March and in May of this year as having a Black over green band K over 83
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 16:25 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 14:05 »
King St has a new pair this year as well Bev, no idea who it is yet at all but it's 2 years in a row now that they've had a new pair and I believe there was a territorial dispute a few months ago.  I guess this is just a year of changes for us here after having having so many long time pairs we were spoiled and didn't expect the 'stuff' to hit the fan all at once!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 14:09 by carly »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 13:50 »
Not sure thousands of years of evolution can change that quickly ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 13:44 »
I think the cold weather has been hard on a lot of sites this year.  I wonder if this continues if they will start nesting later TPC??? this is unusual for this site.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 09:16 »
Cam is back up this morning; two cutie pies having brekkie.  Been 5 days since 1st hatch so wondering if the other 3 will hatch at all. 

I would suspect not, that is a huge time in baby peregrine years.  At this point the chicks have almost doubled in size and likewise their strength, mobility, coordination - a five day gap is huge when battling for food ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 07:07 »
Cam is back up this morning; two cutie pies having brekkie.  Been 5 days since 1st hatch so wondering if the other 3 will hatch at all. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 19:46 »
Again Carly...THANK YOU for all of your updates  :-*