Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel - 2008-21

<< < (8/68) > >>

Alison:
The new male, Ossie, is banded black/black O/8 (that is the letter O, not a zero).

The new female, from the Grand Haven nest, is banded black/green *P/*E, but the bands were put on the bird upside down. Also, the bands were entered incorrectly in the database as P/E.

Alison:
It is so sad that both of these iconic peregrines are now gone from the nest. Together, they successfully raised many chicks, and it is a tribute to their parenting skills that so many of their chicks have gone on to have nests of their own. To mention only a few: Durand, the resident female in Columbus, Ohio; her sister from the same clutch, Gleig, the resident female at the Central Terminal in Buffalo; Peter, the resident male at the Hearn Power Plant; his brother Joseph, from the same clutch, with his own nest in Beachville, Ontario; and Felker, who last year raised chicks in Buffalo with BB, the former female at the University of Buffalo.

Surge was an exceptional tiercel — an excellent provider, great father and loyal and supportive mate. I hope that Madame X is okay, wherever she is. I hope that people have been looking for her in case she is injured and needs help. She is a very great falcon, sixteen years old this year, a wonderful mother to all her chicks and loyal mate to Surge.

Madame X and Surge are both very much missed at the nest.

gran2496:
We're thinking there must have been a territorial fight.  Madame X was on the nest ledge sometime on Friday with blood on her face and beak and she was holding her left foot in an unusual way.  She hasn't been seen since, but we're hoping she has just left the area and accepted that the new female is on site now.

The new female has been indentified as Lily, hatched in Michigan in 2010.  Madame X and Surge were our resident falcons for so long, they are really going to be missed.  Somehow it seems fitting though, since we lost Surge (I'm thinking as a result of a fight between him and Ossie) that Madame X would be finished as our resident female.  Surge and Madame X were a pair for 8 years and fledged 22 chicks during that time so their legacy lives on.

Kinderchick:
Aww! Poor Madame X! I wonder if there was a territorial fight? :(

gran2496:
Well we've had quite a bit of drama at the Hamilton nest this year.  We have a new male, Ossie and now, Madame X has disappeared and there's a new female in town, yet to be identified.  Madame X hasn't been seen since Friday when the new female showed up on the nest ledge.  We have an idea where she's from, but it's not official yet but she does seem to be an American girl. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version