Author Topic: ON / Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel - 2008-21  (Read 9650 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel - 2008-21
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 20:01 »
WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!  More eggs means more falcons!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 15:36 »
Watchers have confirmed Egg #2 for Madame X and Surge today!!! ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 16:12 »
Woohoo..I figured there was an egg, 1 year to the day she laid her first one last year!!  At times I would think she was lethargic then she'd jump out and fly away so I thought nah..she's messing with us!

I wonder if my guys have an egg now as Angel laid her first one of the 28th last year, will have to check first thing tomorrow morning. 

ps: Alison, the cam did get stuck a few times.  I'd stare at her and think she was sitting there and noticed the time was 2 hours behind so I'd refresh and there would be no one in the nest.  It's jammed a few times today too

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 16:00 »
I haven't seen it, but according to the site the first egg has arrived!

March 29, 2009 - At 14:15 this afternoon Madame X rose from her crouched position in the nest ledge to join Surge in chasing away a small falcon. Falconwatchers who happened to be in our 23rd floor viewing location took advantage of the opportunity to get a good binocular and telescope look into the scrape - and were very pleased to see a nice large brown egg!!! At the moment the egg is not easily seen on the TV camera pictures when Madame X is away because the scrape is quite deep and the egg is toward the back of the ledge. Stay tuned. More eggs should be on the way. Our experience is that the female will lay an egg roughly every other day until she is finished.

I had noticed Madame X being very lethargic for the last two to three days - at times I thought the cam was stuck, since she didn't move for so long.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 11:28 »
Heh..I think I'm just imposing my wishes on them  ;)  Truthfully it's probably better they take their time as cold air is moving in again tomorrow and the nighttime lows all week will be in the minuses which is below average for this year.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 11:21 »
I could see most of the corner where she hangs out this morning and could not see an egg. She is back there again now. Yesterday she was in that spot for a long time turning back and forth. Hopefully she is preparing for some young.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 09:41 »
If she has a single egg, it can get wet no worries.  Incubation doesn't begin until the third (of four or second of three) egg is laid.  She may be lying down because its more sheltered there than her other options, and they don't "seek shelter" in the way we mean using that phrase, they just try to find a place they are satisfied is a good place to wait out the weather, be it snow or rain or whatever.  Wind is really the only thing they will find a break from ....

As for what is under her (egg or gravel), you'll just have to wait and watch I'm afraid ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 07:01 »
No haven't noticed her being lethargic, just calmer than she normally is and she hasn't been on the ledge all day like this.  This morning though she's laying on the gravel in the pouring rain so I'm going to guess we have an egg or it's immenent as I expect she'd be looking for shelter if there was nothing to protect from the elements? 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:04 by carly »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 00:17 »
Both birds will do a lot of nest-scraping prior to actually laying.  With Princess she gets calm, almost lethargic in the couple of days before laying begins.  Has anyone seen something similar here?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 19:17 »
I didn't see one either but I did see her pushing her face into the pebbles several times and it looked like she was pushing.  At one point, I saw Surge come in and they both looked down at something in that corner she's in now and then he left and she laid down.  Five minutes later, she got up and flew off briefly then came back..but I remember Scout did that quite a few times before she actually produced the first egg.

It's hard to see..even with the zoom - it's blurry.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 19:12 »
I couldn't see an egg, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Madame X was looking well fed.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 15:14 »
Both Madame X and Surge home, when I left this morning and still there now.  I have a feeling that if she isn't sitting on a egg right now (she wasn't this morning when I left), then there will be one shortly.   

Last year her first egg was laid on March 29th so any time now...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 17:20 »
Hmmmm...while I"m cooking dinner I've got the GRE cam and the Hamilton cam up and Madame X is in the corner where she usually lays her eggs and she keeps looking down under herself.  I wonder ....

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 12:13 »
What I was thinking when I read this is that maybe..just maybe..they've written Kaver off far too soon!  Who knows, he may be out there somewhere and surprise us all by showing up in Rochester yet!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 11:41 »
This is great news, Carly! I know a lot of people in Lansing have been very worried about Stelco. She has been at that site for such a long time. It's good to know she is back again.