Other Peregrine Projects > European Peregrines

Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie

<< < (6/24) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:
Just to go back to the photo on the 28th - those chicks look pretty good for their age, Miep-VieVie is hanging in there!!  And it looks so are the kids.  Only a few more days and regardless of size, they will be able to thermoregulate.

As for the fighting - usually that is gender specific, so male/male or female/female - and given that she has young chicks, I would be surprised if she joined in except right at the nestbox in defense of her young.  An upside, defending the nestsite, even for 1R will get his hormones up and cranking which could be a good thing - site defense could reduce his begging and/or amp up his protective instincts which could include bringing in food for the chicks in response to their calling for food.

burdi:
In an earlier post I mentioned seeing a falcon appear at the nest about 01:35 hours. I automatically assumed this to be 1R returning after having been dive bombed. Although, while he sat quietly sleeping it definitely reminded me of the way VM used to sit in that same spot at night (with his back to us).

Now in the daylight people were noticing he appeared darker than 1R and began watching for a leg band. Since no band was spotted it is believed this falcon who returned is VM.

There is a new movie to view on BDL (by Aaltje) called “VM back”

allikat:
It's morning already? Is probably his question.
He looks alert on the edge of the platform.
I only hope for a good day, free of drama - but, for some reason, I think 1R/2O is in for a busy day.
Positive thoughts going out to this falcon family.

burdi:
Here is a video from the FroonaCam on natuurkanaal nl -- Falcons fighting above the tower -- (video by Freddie / Goshawkeyes) on April 29 at 19:52.

About 1.47 mins into the recording a falcon flies from left to right of screen. Then, at about 1.50 mins a falcon flies in the same direction. During this time I cannot tell if 2O is on the ledge or not - but think he is because I hear him just as clearly. Still, from this particular attack I cannot tell if one or two were participating - though think only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieGsrI3Gb1w

burdi:
Allicat, I agree.

At 05:15 I saw 2O move out to the ledge. He is still sitting quietly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version