Other Peregrine Projects > European Peregrines

Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie

<< < (3/24) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:
Did a quick bit of basic math and at 14 to 16 days old, these chicks are unlikely to be in much danger now until they fledge in another 3-4 weeks.  With a more tumultuous start, they may put on a growth spurt in the last 2-3 weeks before fledging.  Won't hurt them any but you may notice they look markedly bigger each day and it may not be wishful thinking or an optical illusion.

irenekl:
Sure would like to know what happened to Pa.

GCG:
The chicks have recently been fed. Their crops are full and they are in faceplant positions. A little housekeeping is in order. Their nest is "well" feathered.

The Peregrine Chick:
Thanks for posting the video RCF - two things of interest - the "large" bands are the size of our bands - and that is about 2/3 the size of the last knuckle on a woman's pinkie finger :)  Don't know what his bands are made of though, some early bands were made in stainless steel, not sure if any were raptor bands and I have no idea if they were used in Europe.  Ours are made of aluminium and weigh less than a penny.

Other thing of interest is how careful the bird on the ledge was once he saw the chicks - in part "where's mama so I don't get my butt kicked" and "why are these things all by themselves?"

RCF:
A member of the Netherlands Peregrines forum and also a BCAW member posted this.

Ton Kuipers (Kuiko) saw 4 peregrines including VV, but the dubble-banded one wasn't Pa,
but a quite old peregrine with large metallic bands.

Here is a vid from this peregrine

Here is a link to her post where you can view the video
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=349726#p349726

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version