Author Topic: Red-tailed Hawk - NYC / Bobby & Rosie  (Read 6767 times)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Red-tailed Hawk - NYC / Bobby & Rosie (2012)
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 22:10 »
Thanks for the screen capture, rcf! 

I agree, TPC, they're very cute, but there are definitely no cuter beings than Peregrine chicks! :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 20:35 »
They remind me a bit of Ookpiks at this age. ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 12:32 »
I caught a feeding at 8:15 this morning.  :-*

Its amazing how different their chicks look from peregrine chicks at the same age ... theirs are cute, but ours are cuter I'm afraid  ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 08:51 »
Thanks for those RCF! I watched for quite a while last night hoping to get a peek at the two of them, but Rosie seemed to have an innate ability to position herself between the camera and her babes.

She did the same thing this morning just after my last screen cap.  ::)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 08:41 »
Thanks for those RCF! I watched for quite a while last night hoping to get a peek at the two of them, but Rosie seemed to have an innate ability to position herself between the camera and her babes.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30 »
And...more news from the red tailed hawk nest......eyass #2 hatched!  Wonderful to see!  

I caught a feeding at 8:15 this morning.  :-*

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 21:59 »
No, Violet was not injured by any materials on the nest.  It, unfortunately was her ID band. 

And...more news from the red tailed hawk nest......eyass #2 hatched!  Wonderful to see! 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 17:55 »
What a beautiful looking red-tailed hawk, that Rosie is! :D Nest has been made with all kinds of bits of twine and rope, as well as twigs, etc. Sure do hope that the new mama doesn't get caught in any of these bits of twine/rope, as Violet did last season. :(

Keep in mind that these are raptors that are capable of tearing apart their prey - rope/twine is an organic product and if the bird couldn't remove it, it will just rot off after a bit of time - that's why falconers use leather, if a bird takes off, their jesses rot off soon enough.  If its more of a man-made product, they should be able to work it off in most cases.  Getting caught, ie getting their foot snag and not being able to reach their foot that would be of more concern.  And of the two bands that birds like ours have on, the FWS band is the one that I've seen removed more often than the coloured band.  One of the Regina birds (and a Manitoba bird) back in the late 1990s, was missing its FWS/CWS band when it returned one year - nothing wrong with the bird's foot but no silver band.

And raptors get banged up on their feet - we had a bird with "bumble-foot" (a bacterial infection) and you couldn't believe a bird's foot could swell up that much, it was amazing.  Took a long time for the vets to resolve the issue but it worked out in the end.  Annoyed the bird though.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 17:37 »
What a beautiful looking red-tailed hawk, that Rosie is! :D Nest has been made with all kinds of bits of twine and rope, as well as twigs, etc. Sure do hope that the new mama doesn't get caught in any of these bits of twine/rope, as Violet did last season. :( 

I don't think Violet was injured by bits of twine/rope last season.  Scroll down the page to 14th paragraph for information.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/hawk-cam-the-story-of-violets-leg-band/

Experts, including Dr. Elizabeth Bunting, the wildlife veterinarian who observed Violet up close on May 12, have speculated that Violet may have sustained an injury in the last year or so, such as a bite from a squirrel or other prey, and that the swelling in her leg from that injury pushed the band up from her ankle to her shin, where it is now lodged.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 13:38 »

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 11:00 »
Woot! We have one little eyass in the nest today, one egg left to hatch and dinner warming (Rosie also has a dead mouse under her!).

Watched Rosie feed the young'un (so cute, with its wobbly head) while Bobby watched from the sidelines.  :D

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 16:56 »
Ooh, checked on this cam today. Bobby and new mate Rosie have two eggs!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 19:27 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 02:15 »
This news about Violet's death is very sad. :'( I had wondered if that injury to her leg would continue to give her problems. I am glad, however, that Bobby has found a new mate and that they will continue to occupy the same nest. Is it not a dangerous place to nest, TPC, being so close to a large window? :-\

Not in terms of colliding with it, birds slow right down when they enter nests - doesn't always look like it on the webcam but they are very controlled enter/exiting their nests, so no worries there.  Depending on the angle/direction of the window, reflection of sunlight could be a problem for the chicks, but that is something we will just have to wait and see about.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 19:27 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Red-tailed Hawk - NYC / Bobby & Rosie (2011)
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 10:45 »
This news about Violet's death is very sad. :'( I had wondered if that injury to her leg would continue to give her problems. I am glad, however, that Bobby has found a new mate and that they will continue to occupy the same nest. Is it not a dangerous place to nest, TPC, being so close to a large window? :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Red-tailed Hawk - NYC / Bobby & Rosie (2011)
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 23:56 »
Sad news from New York - Violet the Red-tailed Hawk died on Dec 29th, 2011

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/category/hawk-cam-live-from-the-nest/

you can scroll back through the stories to catch up on her last month ... her leg took a turn for the worse and they tried to help her but to no avail I'm afraid.