Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson  (Read 42957 times)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2011, 14:46 »
I have no further news from Bev, which could mean that they are in the process of rescuing Mr. Yellow.  

Kinderchick, to clarify, he fell into an area like a narrow hole, between the CSB and the heart institute; apparently this area is on the ground just beneath the walkway between the CSB and the hospital.  It will be possible for humans to get into this area, I believe, but not for a falcon chick to get out of easily.  Dad has been doing fly-bys to try to encourage Mr. Yellow, and to show him how to get out, but he is too young to know how to do this.  

If I receive any further news, I will let you all know.  Later, Bob, Carol, Peter and I will be down there, and we will be able to inform you of what is happening.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2011, 14:40 »
Have faith folks,sounds like there are quite a few very competent and capable people there. :)

bob

« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2011, 14:19 »
Hi Kinderchick.  According to Elaine's later post (12:16) Yellow's not on the bridge structure anymore but in some form of hole on the roof of another nearby building. I'm not sure which which building that is, but it might make a rescue easier. Carol and I are going to the CSB for our planned shift after work, in about 4 hours. Hopefully, Elaine can post an update soon.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2011, 14:01 »
...He flew over and landed on a bridge structure on top of the hospital, between the CSB and the heart institute...
How on earth would the ground crew be able to get up there on the bridge to rescue him, without scaring him off somewhere else, Elaine? :-\

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2011, 13:12 »
Thank goodness for fledgewatchers and all their hard work.  I hope that Mr. Yellow can be rescued safe and sound.  As previously sais, talongs crossed.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2011, 12:58 »
Good grief, hope they can rescue the poor little guy.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35 »
Yes, Kinderchick, I hope so!  The latest news is that the crew might have to go and rescue him, as they don't know when the biologist will arrive.  Peter (Bev's husband) is going down there around lunch time, and they will decide then on what to do.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2011, 12:33 »
Well, things have gone from bad to worse for Mr. Yellow.  Bev reports that he flew off the building he was on, could not get any height, and landed inside a sort of hole on another nearby building.  Bev says it will be pretty well impossible for him to get out of this area, and she contacted the biologist, who will come down this afternoon to rescue him.  Meanwhile, the other chicks are o.k., as you probably can all see:  two are on the top of the nestbox, and one inside.  So at least for now, the others are safe.

Oh no! I hope they can get him out safely and that he is ok. Poor Mr. Yellow. :(
Thank goodness the others are safe.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2011, 12:31 »
Hmm... I was worried that he may not be able to get out of that tight spot, Elaine. Sure hope he can be rescued successfully.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2011, 12:16 »
Well, things have gone from bad to worse for Mr. Yellow.  Bev reports that he flew off the building he was on, could not get any height, and landed inside a sort of hole on another nearby building.  Bev says it will be pretty well impossible for him to get out of this area, and she contacted the biologist, who will come down this afternoon to rescue him.  Meanwhile, the other chicks are o.k., as you probably can all see:  two are on the top of the nestbox, and one inside.  So at least for now, the others are safe.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2011, 11:20 »
This is just a guess, but maybe they surround the juvie hawk and not let it leave the tree.  :-\
That's what I was thinking, rcf.

Got a call back from Bev. Mr. Yellow was knocked off his perch when food arrived. He flew over and landed on a bridge structure on top of the hospital, between the CSB and the heart institute... but the worry is that he will try to fly off the bridge, and will not be able to manoeuvre himself out of these close buildings.
Thanks for the update, Elaine. Sure do hope that he will be okay. Talons crossed. :-*
Boy when I hear about all the problems that seem to happen at the Radisson and U of Alberta, makes me glad we live in a quiet backwater city out in rural Manitoba where most years we are trouble free. Hopefully the chick will be fine. As Kinderchick says Talons Crossed :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2011, 11:17 »
...Remember how Princess scared off the crows when they tried to bully Fyfe on his roof.
Yes! That was something to see in person! :o She was not going to let them attack her baby! :o

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15 »
Thanks for the treeing explanation, Elaine.
Poor little Juvie Hawk.
Remember how Princess scared off the crows when they tried to bully Fyfe on his roof.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2011, 11:09 »
This is just a guess, but maybe they surround the juvie hawk and not let it leave the tree.  :-\
That's what I was thinking, rcf.

Got a call back from Bev. Mr. Yellow was knocked off his perch when food arrived. He flew over and landed on a bridge structure on top of the hospital, between the CSB and the heart institute... but the worry is that he will try to fly off the bridge, and will not be able to manoeuvre himself out of these close buildings.
Thanks for the update, Elaine. Sure do hope that he will be okay. Talons crossed. :-*

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #167 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00 »
Regarding the queries about treeing a juvenile hawk, I don't know for sure what this means, either, but I suspect, like BCbird, that if the hawk is chased by the peregrines and lands in a tree, they will make his life miserable when he tries to leave the tree, by flying down and attacking him.  But I will ask Bev and get back to you.

Thank you Elaine. That makes perfect sense.  :)