Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson  (Read 41621 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2011, 00:51 »
just a wee slideshow of four chicks the last few days . when I was trying to remember which direction to change color form blue , I got a few different colors :o :o

Yes, Elaine , it was unnerving for me, and while I was relieved , I was sad also.

the hawk is in my freezer till Gord gets back.  ::) ::)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2011, 00:16 »
Oh, Bev, what an awful situation.  And what a grim task!  I feel so bad for the hawk on the one hand, and so relieved that all is well with the falcons on the other hand.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2011, 00:04 »
yes, I am sure that is the cause of the blue looking eggs

10:49pm

Well I had a real scare today folks. I got a call that one of our peregrines was found dead at the clinical science building.  Gord was in Jasper and asked if I would go and ID it. I was a wreck. If it was one of ours , then a plan would have to be put in place to remove chicks.

Off, I went with Peter and grandson , and dogs in tow. I needed a chauffeur.

the security guard said it jsut dropped form the sky right under nestbox area . showed me whee and then they took me to body, which was on ice.
I put on my gloves and it was wrapped in several garbage bags. Every one I unwrapped made me more anxious. I finally  got to last one and the first thing I did was look at ankles, no bands (this is good sign) , I looked at body and it was not a falocn but a huge hawk(neck broken). Peter said if I had looked at feet first I would have known . I am not so sure I would have.

I was so relieved but I love hawks so a little sad. Gord figured it got too close to nest box and  male probably got it. We have had this before.

Stuck around till now to make sure we had 2 falocns. Never know if he got hurt. Saw 2 feeds by mom and finally saw dad. When you see mom leave and  no one with chicks , dad is right at Maz roof or mom is on tower above nest box. They have so many stashes. They will need them .

So all is right here so far.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2011, 13:16 »
There are now four chicks here.  Looks like we will have a busy summer.
:-* :-* :-* :-*

...You may have noticed the cam not being as good. there is a loose cable and they are trying really hard to deal with it...
Do you suppose this has been the cause of the blue looking eggs,etc.?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2011, 12:27 »
The 4th chick hatched on Sunday, we jsut could not see it. We saw the shell but wanted to seethe 2 beaks.

I like the name Devin. It is clsoe to Damon and they are brothers, and he is a close second to his brother.

I will post a slide later. I have so many picutres . can already tell one is a female(well I think) by the feet

I will be sending out a fledge letter in next couple of days.

You may have noticed the cam not being as good. there is a loose cable and they are trying really hard to deal with it.

Have a great day

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2011, 22:33 »
There are now four chicks here.  Looks like we will have a busy summer.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2011, 21:44 »
I still see blue, but I don't know if it is the egg, or the shell.  When Radisson moved, it looked like it was still three chicks under her.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2011, 18:31 »
I think another hatch a bit ago

Egg shell but have not seen chick

I will post this picutre and then come back and do it the proper way.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2011, 10:54 »
Yes, the newbie is a younger brother of Damon. comes from good stock, but we will dearly miss Damon. Once in a lifetime you get as good as Damon. But he did a good job last year.

I am open for suggestions for names. they do not name them. I jsut put names to them. Or we could call him Newbie.  ;D

How about Devin?

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2011, 10:30 »
Yes, the newbie is a younger brother of Damon. comes from good stock, but we will dearly miss Damon. Once in a lifetime you get as good as Damon. But he did a good job last year.

I am open for suggestions for names. they do not name them. I jsut put names to them. Or we could call him Newbie.  ;D
How about Nomad ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:31 by MayShowers »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2011, 09:22 »
3 chicks, that's great!  :D Kermit the frog used to sing a song... "It's not easy being green". These guys will have to start singing... "It's not easy being blue." ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2011, 01:08 »
Glad we have three little chicks, Bev.  And that is a lovely shade of blue in the slideshow!   

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2011, 23:25 »
Thanks for the slide show......love the blue eggs and feet.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2011, 22:41 »
just caught a feed. slideshow About 14 pictures

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2011, 21:31 »

It looks like we have 3 hatches from between befroe 7am this morning to before 6pm this afternoon.

Great news! bev  :)