Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 173536 times)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / May
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11 »
Just had a call from RCF she says she won't be in today so it's good that the connection is still up. She would have to drive 12 miles west on no.1 hwy cross the river and then drive 12 miles back on 1A and the water is almost up to the bottom of that bridge too ::)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57 »
The weather is not co-operating with the flood fighters today, still rainy and drizzly no wind and thats a help for our birdies. It's good to see Brooklyn doing his duty in the box. This am just after 7:00 there has been a manditory evacuation of all houses and businesses north of CPR tracks between 26th street  and 4th street  and south of the river about 900 homes and businesses, this only a precaution the dykes are still okay. THe city and provence have been hampered in their preperations by so many Voyeurs some even letting their kids up on the dykes. There is only one way into Brandon from the north (18th street down to one lane each way) so I guess we will have to wait it out and hope for the best!! Hope your connections stay intact but as you say the Falcons have been doing this for years with no one able to see and have been very successful ::)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 13:26 by Rose »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2011, 10:29 »
1015 hrs

Brooklyn is in the box on the eggs and he is tucked down flat in the box as it is raining and a bit breezy (his feathers are getting fluffed a bit).  Rain is suppose to continue I hear on/off (more on I think) for the next four days in Brandon so its good seeing them able to just tuck down and zone out.

As a separate note, our internet connection to the nestbox is fine at the moment but a chunk of Brandon is prepping to evacuate if necessary over the next couple/few days, so it is possible that we could lose our signal if  Westman Communications' system runs into trouble because of the flooding.  Having said that, the birds will be fine, they've been doing this since 1993 without an internet connection and can do it without us.   We'll be watching and keeping our fingers crossed however and will keep everyone informed.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2011, 20:31 »
And thanks for keeping my first visit a secret  ;)
Didn't you know that rcf is the Forum's undercover agent in Brandon, E-S? ??? Why do you think she snaps so many photos? ;)

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2011, 13:07 »
Thank you Eye-spy.  :)  I think its really brave of you to go up that ladder without any protective gear, like Dan has worn in the past, y'know a leather jacket and a helmet.  :D

And yes I'm talking about the nest box camera installed on April 12th.

REAL men don't wear leather.  But then again, I wasn't stealing their babies.....

And thanks for keeping my first visit a secret  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2011, 11:48 »

... The "White ball" is a 25x optical, 320x digital zoom, day/night, high res. speed dome camera, same as but gooder than the "sky-dome", back here in da Peg.
LOL! I'll be sure to update the Kinderchicklets on these camera specs at school tomorrow, E-S. ;) Seriously, though, thank you! Sounds as if it's going to be great! :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2011, 09:55 »
0945 hrs

There is a bit of a breeze, Brooklyn's (I think by size) feathers are getting ruffled but he's sitting in the sun so not so unpleasant.  Nest box is on the east side of the building so it gets morning sun, Radisson box is on the west side so they get afternoon sun. 

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2011, 08:20 »
Thank you Dennis  :)  great photos and finally we see the inside, outside and 2 blocks away  story in full without fear of anything being deleted :-* :) ;D

Online RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2011, 08:17 »
The window cam is super-de-dooper as Eye-Spy said and it is in colour.  It also has a remote pan/tilt/zoom function so as the chicks grow we will be able to modify the image some.  I should say that Eye-Spy tried a couple of different cameras but because of the light/dark contrast "behind" the box in the latter part of the day, he decided to go very high-end to give us all a great image.

Thank you Eye-spy.  :)  I think its really brave of you to go up that ladder without any protective gear, like Dan has worn in the past, y'know a leather jacket and a helmet.  :D

And yes I'm talking about the nest box camera installed on April 12th.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:19 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Online RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2011, 08:05 »
Thanks Dennis  :-*

Wish I had a camera like yours and I could take such excellent photos.  ;D ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2011, 07:56 »
A few more photos have been added to the gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/brandon_2011

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2011, 07:51 »
I have posted videos from both the box cam and the Eye-Spy's window cam in the Project's YouTube Gallery

Just watched the videos :-* :)How nice to be able to finally see our birds from the inside of the nest box and not have to imagine what it is like. Both cameras seemed to work really well. I'm not surpised that water got into the camera on the nest box because the wind blew the the snow horizontally from the north east all afternoon last saturday, I'm sure Hurricane must have been completly covered. I also noticed by the bones in the box they are not particularly good housekeepers but as long as they are good parents Who cares! ;D

Online RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2011, 07:47 »
LOVED THE VIDEO'S!!  8) :-* ;D

I just laughed at how Brooklyn was giving the evil eye to the camera.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2011, 07:36 »
Good Lord woman !  You could have brought me a coffee !

I'm guessing that NOTHING I do will go un-noticed in Brandon  :-\

p.s. The "White ball" is a 25x optical, 320x digital zoom, day/night, high res. speed dome camera, same as but gooder than the "sky-dome", back here in da Peg.
You are right not much goes un-noticed in Brandon (we're snoopy  ;D). When the white ball appeared we thought the McKenzie building was burping helium balloons sorry if you thought we were maligning your nifty camera,just watched the videos and if the live streaming is as good we'll give you a gold star ;D