Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 168965 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / May
« Reply #235 on: May 08, 2011, 00:31 »
TPC, this is wonderfully helpful detailed information on how to recognize these two.  
It is very interesting to have you point out the reminders of their Radisson (Trey) heritage.

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2011, 00:13 »
Wow! thanks - great to have those clear ways to tell them apart.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #233 on: May 07, 2011, 23:38 »
Notes on identification ...

Hurricane and Brooklyn have some distinctive plumage differences as well as a size difference. Note, they both have black bands on their left legs and silver bands on their right legs.

First the size, Hurricane is bigger than Brooklyn but not by too much though you will be able to tell one from the other after a couple of days of watching on the cam.

Plumage differences - most notable is that Brooklyn has a neon white breast.  That sounds wierd but check out the May 7 colour (window cam) video and you will see what I'm talking about.  He literally glows even in the shade.  He also has fewer/lighter speckles on his lower breast and belly.  He also a and extra line of black midway on his left cheek - Hurricane doesn't have so clear a white cheek patch on that side.  She has a whiter breast than her mother (Princess) but she is Trey's kid and has more white than some of her siblings but nothing near as white-white in colour as Brooklyn.

Brooklyn's lineage does lead back to the Radisson but it bypassed Princess' influence so he looks more like Trey than his Radisson cousins of a similar age. 

I will see about snagging some still images of both birds from the window cam to help with the identification.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2011, 23:31 »
I have posted videos from both the box cam and the Eye-Spy's window cam in the Project's YouTube Gallery

The box cam is black and white because we believe water got inside the "waterproof" housing during the May Day Blizzard and its twizzled the colour control some.  No way to replace the cam without excessively disturbing the birds, so we switched it to black-and-white.

The window cam is super-de-dooper as Eye-Spy said and it is in colour.  It also has a remote pan/tilt/zoom function so as the chicks grow we will be able to modify the image some.  I should say that Eye-Spy tried a couple of different cameras but because of the light/dark contrast "behind" the box in the latter part of the day, he decided to go very high-end to give us all a great image.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 23:40 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2011, 21:10 »
Good Lord woman !  You could have brought me a coffee !

I'm guessing that NOTHING I do will go un-noticed in Brandon  :-\

p.s. The "White ball" is a 25x optical, 320x digital zoom, day/night, high res. spped dome camera, same as but gooder than the "sky-dome", back here in da Peg.

Sorry Eye-spy, no coffee but they probably wouldn't let some crazy lady with binos and a camera who hangs around a lot, into their building.  ;D ;D

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2011, 20:53 »
Good Lord woman !  You could have brought me a coffee !

I'm guessing that NOTHING I do will go un-noticed in Brandon  :-\

p.s. The "White ball" is a 25x optical, 320x digital zoom, day/night, high res. speed dome camera, same as but gooder than the "sky-dome", back here in da Peg.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 22:43 by Eye-spy »

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2011, 20:09 »
This slide show and the earlier pictures of the nest box brick wall are very helpful to understand the setup there.  Thanks, rcf.
Yes, thanks so much!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2011, 19:59 »
This slide show and the earlier pictures of the nest box brick wall are very helpful to understand the setup there.  Thanks, rcf.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2011, 19:30 »
What an awesome slideshow, rcf! 8) Thanks! :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #226 on: May 07, 2011, 18:23 »
Hurricane and Brooklyn were not very happy, she kept flying to the nest box, land for a few seconds and was off again. Lots of yelling and flying around the building by both birds.  I took Rose home and when I came back they seemed settled, her in the box and he was on the tower.  :)

SLIDE-SHOW
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61724336@N06/sets/72157626669617028/show/

Hurricane

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2011, 16:44 »
Well, if the birdies poop on the camera attached to their nestbox. We should still be able to see them with the camera at the spy window.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #224 on: May 07, 2011, 15:49 »
WEll as you can see from TPC's post, strange things were happening at the spy box when we were on the parkade at 1:00pm today. The south side of the box was covered and there was a big hole in the east side,Brooklyn and Hurricane were most upset and making their feelings heard at top voice. Then Hurricane went into the nest box but didn't stay long because what looked like a big white ball sudenly appeared hanging from the box (new Camera perhaps). We waited a while to watch them/him cover the hole but I guess it was lunch time and Hurricane after about 4 or 5 attempts finally went into the box and settled on the eggs. Rcf just phoned (3:30) and said the box was covered and Hurricane was back on the eggs so that means now we can have EGG updates.
 RCF will post a slide show when she gets home :) ;D :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2011, 15:24 »
One of those cameras has been replaced (the one in the window) as of today.  Currently I am watching Hurricane (I believe) incubating her four eggs.  Looks like its sunny out there but that there is abit of drizzle as well ... or it may just be dripping from the eavestroughing above ...

Going to have to set up a new video gallery for the Brandon kids ...  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #222 on: May 07, 2011, 08:37 »
Thanks for posting these photos, rcf. :) Gives us a good idea of where the cameras are located.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2011, 22:43 »

And a live cam, wow, I guess that's what those black cables that you mentioned a while ago were all about.   Who knew?

Ya, I think it's kind of cool.  8)  ;D

Here's a couple of pictures of where the cameras are situated for now.

This would be the spy window  ;)

This is a great vantage point, except for maybe the lighting.