Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 168290 times)

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / May
« Reply #190 on: May 02, 2011, 23:36 »
Only 3 this year ?  Wonder if the weather had any thing to do with it ?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #189 on: May 02, 2011, 21:27 »
Yes, great photos, rcf! :D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #188 on: May 02, 2011, 20:17 »
Great capture of the flight!

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #187 on: May 02, 2011, 19:22 »
Thanks RCF, great photos!

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2011, 19:14 »
Thanks so much for the update and the photos!

Online RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2011, 18:24 »
Being such a nice day, both Hurricane and Brooklyn were off the nest when I checked later this afternoon.  Hurricane was on the east light and I watched her fly to the nest box perch bar, where she sat for a bit and then went into the box.  Brooklyn was on the tower and he flew off and then returned.

Hurricane

Brooklyn

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2011, 18:23 »
I checked on our birdies this morning and they are just fine, one was on the mts tower and one in the nest box.   :-* ;D

Good news RCF!  Thank you for letting us know  ;D

Online RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2011, 17:58 »
I checked on our birdies this morning and they are just fine, one was on the mts tower and one in the nest box.   :-* ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #182 on: May 01, 2011, 19:25 »
Dan in Brandon thought he would get up and check the birds today so hopefully I will have some information for you all shortly.  I'm not too worried though, the birds will keep the snow off the eggs and the adults will be fine.  Better now than when they have chicks as they are so much more vulnerable to weather events - snow, cold or wet.  And despite (or perhaps because of) the box's location in Brandon, they have been wonderfully protected from all sorts of weather, including tornadoes.

Will post an update as soon as I hear anything.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #181 on: May 01, 2011, 09:13 »
There are 2 to 3 foot drifts in most driveways, at our house we can't get out the back door and in 3 places on the driveway there are 3 foot snowdrifts so guess  the old snow blower has to come out. :'(
I read this first thing this morning and quickly looked outside in a panic. Luckily we only have a 3 inch drift in our driveway...well not so much as a drift as a wrinkle! I hope we'll soon be on track to drier conditions. This is the last thing our farmers needed. Where are all the politicians now??? I guess it's too late for a "photo op" or to appear to care about the prairies.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #180 on: May 01, 2011, 08:56 »
Lots of blowing snow & drifts here in Winnipeg too, but I hear that Brandon was really hit hard. Hunker down, Brooklyn & Hurricane and you too, Rose & rcf! :-*

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2011, 08:51 »
Just a note to say we have had a really bad session of terrible weather out here in the hinterland (also known as Brandon) >:( since noon yesterday. Snow and wind blowing from the northeast and since the open side of the nest box faces east our pair can't have had a very nice day. Hopefully everything is okay for them. From the pictures it seems like Hurricane has the eggs in the most sheltered spot in the nestbox but we can only moniter them from a block away not like in Winnipeg where there is a camera and the nest can be monitered at will as per TPC's posts.
  THe wind and snow seem to have tapered off and now for the clean up.There are 2 to 3 foot drifts in most driveways, at our house we can't get out the back door and in 3 places on the driveway there are 3 foot snowdrifts so guess  the old snow blower has to come out. :'(

Online RCF

• Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2011 / April
« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2011, 17:12 »
Wonderful news of your "family" in Brandon. ;D  Is there still demolition/renovation planned for this building?  How will that play out with the nest box and all? ???

They have been renovating the inside of the building since last year and from what I understand the workers are not to be on the lower roof when the falcons are in residence.  That's what one fellow told us who was working at the site.  I think TPC would know more about this, since she has probably been in contact with the owners.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2011, 16:27 »
Wonderful news of your "family" in Brandon. ;D  Is there still demolition/renovation planned for this building?  How will that play out with the nest box and all? ???

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2011, 10:37 »
Thanks for those photos RCF. It's wonderful to "watch" (especially this morning on such a wet miserable day).