Author Topic: Radisson - 2011 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 228977 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2011 / March
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2011, 10:49 »
Just saw two of them together flying toward the Radisson and circle the hotel. I think we have a couple of love birds in our mist......
And I have photos that confirm... :-[  ;D

I hope we will see photos soon, Dennis. That will be phenomenal.  ;D ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29 »
And I have photos that confirm... :-[  ;D

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2011, 08:23 »
Just saw two of them together flying toward the Radisson and circle the hotel. I think we have a couple of love birds in our mist......

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2011, 07:49 »
The female has alot of colour in her chest compared to Princess......Saw her through the binocoluars....pretty girl

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2011, 22:19 »
Well.....it's exciting that the boids are back regardless of who they are! 
Nature is nature! 
It's wonderful to know that The Radisson is in hot demand which only means good things for the future of the peregrines!

Drama, drama, drama......

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2011, 20:40 »
My thought....
Sandy will chase Princess off, and she may make a half-hearted attempt to move to West nest before leaving for good.

..... just sayin'

(although my last two unpublished "thoughts" were right on the money....)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2011, 20:21 »
TPC have you heard anything about Trey? I often think of him. It would be sweet if Princess and Trey returned. But I also hope no bird gets hurt in territorial fights

Nothing about Trey I'm afraid and its probable we won't hear anything at this point.  I too would like to see him again, but the chances of that happening are slim.

As for territorial battles, we have been very fortunate over the years that we haven't had any that have resulted in injured or dead birds.  Might be because we don't have that much territory in Winnipeg, or that the city just isn't big enough to support lots of pairs.  The Radisson is a favourite for everyone, but the other territories are successful, so while other birds might want the Radisson site, they have other sites nearby but not too nearby.

is this the earliest that the birds have come back?

Madame, the Radisson female before Princess, used to overwinter here, so that we won't count her.
T-Rex, Trey's father came back in February one year.  Everyone else has come back in March.

Offline wpgfan

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2011, 19:22 »
is this the earliest that the birds have come back?

Offline The Friesens

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2011, 19:05 »
TPC have you heard anything about Trey? I often think of him. It would be sweet if Princess and Trey returned. But I also hope no bird gets hurt in territorial fights

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2011, 18:04 »
they can't hide the bands for ever... ;)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2011, 16:52 »
A bigger lens? Do they come any bigger than that? Wow...
Maybe we need a contact in the international espionnage community. They could use a satellite to help us identify our birds.

All kidding aside, I think everyone so far has done an incredible job. Luckily, you guys don't depend on me and my poor eyesight. I think knowing two out of three birds is great.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2011, 16:36 »
 Dennis and Wowzer did get some amazing photos today and while we probably don't have clear band numbers, we may be able to narrow down the field based on some general shapes of band numbers.  

Wowzer did pick up on the color of the bands...TPC only hopes that we (Dennis & Wowzer) can get a clean focused shot of a 1/2in band from 2 blocks away and 30 flrs. up...do you mean I need to get a larger lens  ???

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2011, 21:10 »
Wow !!1

A few falcons already.
I am not ready to start checking Edmonton. we usually do not get any back till end of March.

Heavy into renovations and all sorts of personal life things, so I will not be ready for awhile but I have been checking here off and on.

hope Princess is back

Offline 2kawaii

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2011, 20:27 »
Hey ya'll.  Kids spotted somebirdie flying around the Hydro building this afternoon.   :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 13:23 by 2kawaii »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2011, 20:25 »
Sorry, but I've lost track of Sandy.  Is she the Radisson female?  Or is she still around?

Sandy is the only confirmed bird at the Radisson so far, but we don't know if she's going to be the resident female at the Radisson yet.  Princess usually comes home at about this time so Sandy might be forced out or Princess could be.  Or Princess might not return and Sandy will just take over by default.  We don't have the cams at the moment since we are making some technology changes as part of our upgrades for the nesting season.  But we'll have them back online soon and we'll get another look at the band numbers. That's if Dennis and Wowzer don't get a photo first ...  ;)