Author Topic: Territory sizes  (Read 1261 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Territory sizes
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 19:46 »
Here's the missing post I couldn't find ...

Thanks Allikat  :)- and do we know where Princess and Ivy's terrritory begins and ends?  And how does that work when Ivy used to be in the West Wpg. territory before he dumped Jules ??? :o ???

Sorry for the delay in answering this, work-work got came first this week ...

Edges of the Radisson territory fluctuate a bit depending on the tolerance of the resident pair - usually runs east to about Lagimodiere, but that may be because there isn't a suitable nestsite in the east.  Runs south to McGillivray - this is a kinda hard-and-fast that was enforced when there was a University site - hopefully we will have one again once the University has finished some more of its construction at which time we may be able to reinstall a nestbox there again.  To the west, boundary seems to be about the Polo Park area, that's where we have seen individuals of both pairs from time to time - the West Winnipeg territory appears to run parallel to the Radisson territory Polo Park & Route 90 south and west to the Perimeter Hwy.  North boundary for Radisson territory is soft at the moment - we have had young birds from all nest/hack sites seen north of the Radisson territory, but there the Radisson pair seem to discourage long-term or potential nestsites north of them so it could be that they see their territory running north to the perimeter but since they discourage year-round, they haven't had to fight to establish this boundary.

So basically look at the map of the city and the middle part is theirs'  ;D

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 19:43 »
Guess that is really the answer that I thought it would be.  No hard and fast rules here! Suppose it would also depend on the personality of the pair as well. Thanks! ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 19:38 »
I had another question about this but can't remember where I answered it so will merge it here when I find it.

The short answer Ellie is that there is no hard and fast size for a peregrine territory - depends on what features are available - nest ledges, roosts, feeding places, courting places etc as well as the environment/habitat, the amount of prey, the number of other birds nearby ... you get the idea.  Urban nestsites can be larger and smaller than wild nestsites.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Territory sizes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 19:33 »
My question is how large is a territory for a nesting pair of peregrines?  Would it usually be 5 or so Km between nests in order for them to not get in each others way(feathers)? Interested to see how many actually could (not necessarily would) nest in the  Winnipeg area if the nest sites were right!