Author Topic: Noise tolerance - observation  (Read 2089 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Noise tolerance - observation
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 12:25 »
Do the bells at the Basilica still ring every 1/2 hour?

I'm not sure if they still do, know that that year there was a special celebration, 100 years or 200 years of some such, could have been the reason for all the ringing.

I guess Princess wouldn't allow any other pair to nest there, now that she is queen of the castle.

Even when it was Madame, she wasn't particularly tolerant, that's why it only happened once and it was very very stressful on Burnsie.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 09:48 »
Do the bells at the Basilica still ring every 1/2 hour?

I guess Princess wouldn't allow any other pair to nest there,
now that she is queen of the castle.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 21:49 »
Oh Kinderchick, if I have a pair nesting in this city, I know who they are  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Female was Burnsie...Neither have we had any reports of her Basilica chicks. 

She had chicks at the Basilica?! :o With all that bell ringing?! :o That's amazing! :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 19:27 »

Female was Burnsie, captive-bred bird released in Brandon in 1990.  She was T-Rex's mate out at the University (1992-94) and when he ditched her for Madame and the Radisson site (see there is precedence for Ivy's behaviour), she hung out at the University with a Radisson sub-adult male at the University in 1995, she took a sabbatical year in 1996, nested with Ja, a 1994 Brandon male, at the Basilica in 1997 and then didn't try her luck again but rather hung out quietly with Trey in 1998. 

We haven't had any news of her since.  Neither have we had any reports of her Basilica chicks. 

At the U of M, she had 5 hatched chicks and 5 foster chicks.  One is famous - Winnie was paired with Zeus in Omaha, Nebraska and is the progenitor of Husker, Doorly and a few others ... check out the Omaha thread for more information on that family tree.  Of her other 9 chicks - only two others have we had any information about - both because they died.  Both were captive-bred foster chicks, one was killed (aircraft strike) at a New York airport, the other was found dead in the Dominican Republic - both on their southward migrations.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 19:05 »
So I guess you don't know who this pair was, at the Basilica, or do you? :-\ Were they a banded pair? ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 19:01 »
For one year, a pair nested at the Basilica while the Radisson pair were using the nestbox.  One of the quietest, under-the-radar nestings we have had near the Radisson territory.  Happened one other time, same outcome, 1 year at the site then *poof* gone.  Both years were years with an inexperience male at the Radisson so Madame was doing most of the work - this was pre-Trey.

Offline 2kawaii

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 16:41 »
To add to Kinderchick's question:

Isn't this awfully close to Radisson falcon territory?  Was there a pair nesting there as well at the time?

...The ultimate in noise was a pair that nested beside the St Boniface Basilica bell, only did it once, but I dare say it took some getting used to the bell ringing every 1/2 hour or so. 
Wow!  :o I didn't know that! :o When was that?! ???

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 15:04 »
...The ultimate in noise was a pair that nested beside the St Boniface Basilica bell, only did it once, but I dare say it took some getting used to the bell ringing every 1/2 hour or so. 
Wow!  :o I didn't know that! :o When was that?! ???

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:42 »
Must be what they have become used to, part of the environment.  When I lived in the far north, a helicopoter landed and took off on the next property at least once a day - never woke my 1 year old - now if only I'd grown used to vuvuzelas - 90,000 I could listen during the soccer matches...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:38 »
I was watching for a food delivery at the edmonton clinical sciences location and noted that the adults seem to be unruffled by the helicopter landing a few metres away on the hospital roof, plus hot air balloons passing directly overhead and very close to roof level. I am amazed at their level of tolerance. It obviously hasn't affected the peregrines, given the nesting success here.

Its not so much that they become tolerant of noise in general, rather they become accustomed/tolerant of noises that have become familiar and which they have deemed not to be a threat.  Radisson is the resident female at the U of A and she hatched out of the nestbox we are now watching on the FalconCam.  The Radisson roof is noisy with both natural sound like the wind howling through the louvres (I have a audio clip of that, will find it and post it in our video gallery) as well as street noises like traffic, construction, sirens as well as regular noises on the roof due to maintenance done by staff.  All of those they assess the risk of/for and then later recognize and acknowledge them without immediately leaping into action. 

That was one of the problems out at the 2007-2009 West Winnipeg flight, the sounds were irregular and very close and so the birds spent more time defending than nesting.  Not the site's fault, just a poor choice by Jules & Ivy.  Where Jules and Beau are now is much less "active" so they can concentrate on what is important.  The ultimate in noise was a pair that nested beside the St Boniface Basilica bell, only did it once, but I dare say it took some getting used to the bell ringing every 1/2 hour or so. 

Now having said all that, when there is a "new" noise at the Radisson, both Princess and Ivy (and previously Pop, Maud, T-Rex, Madame, Simba & Trey) all knew it within seconds and one if not both of the resident pair would be checking it out.  For them, there is noise they know and noise they don't trust.  Two young men were working daily on the roof of the Radisson this year to rebuild a large chiller unit and Princess and Ivy just watched, then ignored them.  Some noise for the first couple of days, then nothing.  I turn up on the roof and within seconds I'm getting the third degree, you'd think they didn't trust me!  :D

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
Noise tolerance - observation
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23 »
I was watching for a food delivery at the edmonton clinical sciences location and noted that the adults seem to be unruffled by the helicopter landing a few metres away on the hospital roof, plus hot air balloons passing directly overhead and very close to roof level. I am amazed at their level of tolerance. It obviously hasn't affected the peregrines, given the nesting success here.