Author Topic: Chicks, Eyasses, Juveniles?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Chicks, Eyasses, Juveniles?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 14:02 »
Thank you for taking the time to post this information, TPC. Very interesting and very clearly stated.  :) The Gr. 1 & 2 teachers at my school are also following the Radisson falcon chicks and although they are not registered members of the forum, they often ask me questions and this is one that they have also wondered about.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 11:54 »
General or not, TPC, these definitions are a lot clearer than anything I came across when I went searching! Thanks a million.  :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:51 »
These are general rules, not hard and fast in my experience ...

Chick - nestling - hatch to fledge age.

Eyas - same as a chick, not used so much by biologists in my experience and not a term I use.  Sort of like tiercel and falcon for male and female, terms that require explanation when they are used.

Fledgling - when chick takes first flight (fledge) so they are now fledglings; remain fledglings until they have the whole flying thing undercontrol, then usually shift into being juveniles.

Juvenile - usually used when birds are more independent - hunting, roosting, moving further afield.

Young - also a term for the offspring of a year, can be of any age - chick, fledgling, juvenile.

Immature - term that gets used for birds that are after hatch year (January onward) in age but who are still behaving like juveniles i.e., begging for food from adults

Sub-adult - young non-breeding peregrine, may show some juvenile plumage or may not, behaviour is adult, but not breeding due to age.  Some just call them non-breeding adults.

Adult - old enough to breed, may or may not be breeding or have bred.

Or at least this is how we use them ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 21:14 »
Thanks, Saorise... but then, when does a chick or an eyasses become a fledgling and a juvie, I wonder? ???

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 18:38 »
At what point in their development do they then become known as "juveniles" or "juvies"? ???

Kinderchick, this is something I wondered, too. According to one definition I just found, an eyass is a fledgling who has not yet left the nest. There may be more to it than that, but that's as far as the definition went!

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 17:34 »
It might be easier to understand if you think of a parent with unruly triplets or quads..."Ey, u-asses, stop causing your mother so much trouble !!!"  :)

love it  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 13:48 »
It might be easier to understand if you think of a parent with unruly triplets or quads..."Ey, u-asses, stop causing your mother so much trouble !!!"  :)
There he goes again! ::) :P

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 21:49 »
good one, Eye.....

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 21:20 »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH 

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 21:13 »
bahahahhaha, second beverage spit of the season

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 21:07 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Chicks, Eyasses, Juveniles?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 20:49 »
I have seen falcon chicks referred to as "eyasses" on other boards, TPC. Is that what they are actually called? Or do they become "eyasses" after a certain age?  :-\ At what point in their development do they then become known as "juveniles" or "juvies"? ???