Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 129716 times)

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / July
« Reply #647 on: July 22, 2010, 23:04 »
Good luck to Kenzie and her first flights around Brandon!  Thanks Rose and RCF for all the great updates.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #646 on: July 22, 2010, 21:12 »
Don't worry folks, the little Brandon male will be treated respectfully and he will be helping the recovery effort in Manitoba and North America for many years to come by helping to track changes in the species - with every new female that comes in from the US there have been changes in the look of their offspring - and if our observations with Princess, also with the size of their chicks.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #645 on: July 22, 2010, 20:32 »
Do you mean the bodies are preserved, say, with Taxidermy?

I'm guessing this is one of those things where the details are better left unknown.

Sorry for getting too graphic, Saoise.
Beautiful pictures of Mackenzie!  :D
Excellent BOT, Doreen, thanks.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #644 on: July 22, 2010, 20:23 »
 When I got downtown after work today I could hear Hurricane and Brooklyn alarm calling.  :o I looked around and up on the old mts building, there were five men on the roof.  ???  I only saw Mom & Dad on the McK building, couldn't see Mackenzie, so I went up to parkade to get a better look.   Mackenzie was perched right up on top of the roof of the clock tower, sitting close to mom, who was on the east light. Three of the men started to climb up the tower and Brooklyn & Hurricane immediately left their perches, swooping and kacking at them. They were getting pretty close, probably a real good thing the men had hard hats on.  ;D  Mackenzie joined Mom and Dad, but only for one fly around the tower, then she went and perched on the top of the Scotia bank building (13 stories), so she is flying very well. :-*  And when she flew over the parkade, I noticed how really dark her feathers are, I guess she gets that from her Mom. ;) Anyway, the three men were just putting up more receivers on the tower because seeing them up there didn't make me happy at all.  >:(   Now there will be more places for Brooklyn to hide behind where we can't see.  ::) 

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #643 on: July 22, 2010, 20:03 »
Great pictures RCF, she's absolutely lovely.

Thank you to you and Rose for all the updates.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #642 on: July 22, 2010, 19:18 »
Gorgeous Mackenzie. i jsut had  a few minutes to check.  :-*to a successful fledge

Great photos

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #641 on: July 22, 2010, 18:28 »
Beautiful pictures of Mackenzie!  :D

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #640 on: July 22, 2010, 18:06 »

I'm guessing this is one of those things where the details are better left unknown.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #639 on: July 22, 2010, 16:20 »
I was actually wondering the same thing.  ???

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #638 on: July 22, 2010, 16:11 »
And no, the bodies aren't interred, generally they go to a museum collection to be able to track physiological changes in species populations over time.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #637 on: July 22, 2010, 15:06 »
TPC, I was wondering if either of this years' Brandon chicks are going to be given official names? ??? I have read where Rose and rcf have given them temporary names ("Mac" and "Kenzie"), much like we did with our Radisson chicks (ie. "Mr. White"), prior to the vote for the official names. Are plans for naming these chicks in the works or should we continue to refer to them as "Mac" and "Kenzie"? :-\

We are going to forgo naming the Brandon male, so if folks want to keep calling him "Mac" that's fine.  We were thinking of calling the female "Mackenzie" (yes, different spelling) just a couple of days before the male fledged and now that she's the only one left, we are going to go with that, perhaps the "Mac" part will bring her more luck than her sibling.

On another note, was a necropsy performed on "Mac" and has there been any info reported on him from Conservation in Brandon since his death? What usually happens with a peregrine that has died? Is he/she studied, for future reference and are they interred?  ??? Just wondering.

No need for a necropsy, we are pretty confident that we know how he died.  From his condition, looks as though he was grounded by the high winds that day and then hit by a vehicle.  Also looks like his death was instanteous.  And no, the bodies aren't interred, generally they go to a museum collection to be able to track physiological changes in species populations over time.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #636 on: July 22, 2010, 12:21 »
TPC, I was wondering if either of this years' Brandon chicks are going to be given official names? ??? I have read where Rose and rcf have given them temporary names ("Mac" and "Kenzie"), much like we did with our Radisson chicks (ie. "Mr. White"), prior to the vote for the official names. Are plans for naming these chicks in the works or should we continue to refer to them as "Mac" and "Kenzie"? :-\

On another note, was a necropsy performed on "Mac" and has there been any info reported on him from Conservation in Brandon since his death? What usually happens with a peregrine that has died? Is he/she studied, for future reference and are they interred?  ??? Just wondering.

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #635 on: July 22, 2010, 09:29 »
Wow what great shots.She is goreous........Aren't they all.

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #634 on: July 21, 2010, 23:18 »
Don't be messing with me - great caption and I really enjoyed your descriptions and the wonderful photos.  Thank you so much!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #633 on: July 21, 2010, 22:49 »
very nice photo's .. thanks