Author Topic: DE / Wilmington - 2009-15  (Read 21346 times)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Delaware - Wilmington - 2012 / CJ & Big Red
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2012, 11:55 »
It looks like everyone is expecting a fourth egg later this evening for this couple.  CJ was on the three eggs earlier this morning, keeping them warm, while mom went out for a bite to eat.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Delaware - Wilmington - 2012 / CJ & Big Red
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2012, 07:40 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Hi all!  Looks like there are 3 eggs already at Wilmington - early season this year!   :D

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Delaware - Wilmington - 2011 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2011, 09:16 »
...yes, horus, you are correct - those are amazing shots of Red Girl doing a mid-air food exchange with one of the kids - wow, great photos!.. :o

horus

« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50 »
Turn to the next page - page 4 - there will more amazing pictures of RG and the kids...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2011, 21:04 »
Wow! Those are amazing photos of CJ bringing a Cooper's Hawk home for supper! :o I didn't think birds of prey caught other birds of prey. :-\

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2011, 09:37 »
... interesting pics on the Wilmington topic board here:

http://peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=976&start=40

on page 3 - the resident male CJ brought home a hawk for dinner - they're thinking maybe a Cooper's hawk, but it was huge - CJ was apparently struggling with it all the way home - but he looks so PLEASED in the photos ... ;D

... actually, the web address i just posted takes you directly to page 3 - just scroll down for the pictures ...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2011, 16:54 »
An update:  The people who regularly participate in this Forum (Bird Cams Around the World), are very, very unhappy about the female chicks being sent to another state.  They feel that these chicks should have remained with their parents, who could have taught them so much, and that hacking them was a terrible decision.  Although I am not as well informed about falcons as the people who regularly attend this Forum (some of whom also are part of our Manitoba Forum), I agree; these chicks were fledgings, and should not have been taken away.  They should have been taught how to fly and survive by their parents.  If anyone wants to read more about this, here is the link:  http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=959&start=340

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2011, 10:11 »
The latest news on "Bird Cams Around the World" is that the two female chicks will not be returned from Rehab to Wilmington.  The biologist says they are sending them to West Virginia, where they have a falcon reintroduction program going on, and the chicks will have a better chance of survival. 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2011, 16:50 »
If I recall correctly from all the material posted on this site, they could not band her because she was sitting in an area that was really difficult to access, and it would cause too much stress to all concerned to try to get to her.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2011, 16:32 »
i know that 5 chicks hatched at this site, and all made it as far as fledging (too bad about Yellow Boy), but i never read anything explaining why only 4 of the chicks were banded...anybody know?  it's been bugging me... ::)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2011, 10:31 »
I checked out the Bird Cams Around the World Site again this morning:

The fledge watchers down there in Wilmington are exhausted; and losing Yellow Band, the firstborn and a feisty little fellow, was hard on everyone.  Four chicks are still alive, with the two girls in rehab at the moment, and the two boys, so far, doing o.k.

This crew is very dedicated; as they say on this site, it is so hard to keep track of fledgings when you have some many buildings, cars, and idiot people  around, seriously affecting the safety of the birds.  I think their watch down there in Wilmington has been harder than our fledge watches up here in Edmonton, especially as they had five chicks fledge over a couple of days.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2011, 19:57 »
Aw, that is very sad. :'( I thought he had been spotted flying well with his dad. Do they know what he died of? ???

No his body has been given over for determination though.  One of the others ones came to ground for the third time too so she's going in for observation. 

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2011, 18:13 »
Aw, that is very sad. :'( I thought he had been spotted flying well with his dad. Do they know what he died of? ???
That was the last I had heard also ???  Such sad news :'( :'(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2011, 17:15 »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2011, 15:48 »
Sad news, Yellow has been found dead.  :'(
So sorry to hear the sad news about yellow band.  :'(