Author Topic: DE / Wilmington - 2009-15  (Read 21347 times)

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Delaware - Wilmington - 2010 / CJ & Red Girl
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 08:11 »
...oh, yes, I'd love to be wrong; I'd have no problem with that at all...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 08:01 »
My motto is  never, say never.  I have been following this site since Red Girl appeared. 

I wish they had taken the eggs sooner and hatched them. but >>>>

I would like to see her lay one more egg. to give her a good first year experience.

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 07:51 »
...just a note for this site...although the falcons were observed in courtship ritual around may18, and the old eggs were removed from the site, there are still no new eggs here that I can see;  I suspect that there won't be another clutch this year.  I'd be happy to be wrong, however....

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 16:39 »
How can I go back to work tomorrow?!?  I'm discovering so many interesting dramas in the Peregrine Falcon world! :) :)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 23:19 »
No eggciting news to post yet. The couple are still together and we will have to wait and see.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 22:57 »
Checked in on the BCAW site and apparently, the female which is being referred to Red Girl and the male CJ for Caesar Jr have been canoodling. The male has been working on scrapes (2) in the nest box and it could be a sign that in the next few days eggs could be laid. He is very attentive to the female and brings many presents for her eating enjoyment. Hopefully this will be a successful site after all the turmoil this season.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 13:30 »
Shiny doesn't have anything to do with viability Kinderchick, I just noticed how shiny they were.  Our eggs aren't that shiny, more of a matte finish on them.  Except for our dummy eggs, which are fake eggs used to keep peregrines incubating while plans for fostering or something similar is put into place.  The eggs at Wilmington weren't dummy eggs but looked like them.  Interesting is all ...
Oh... And that is interesting about using "dummy" eggs to keep peregrines incubating, when plans for fostering are put into place.  8) I didn't know that!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 09:42 »
I should say that the eggs look shiny .... too shiny  ??? to my eye ...
What exactly does this mean, if eggs look shiny?  :-\ Is that how one can tell that  eggs may not be viable? ???

Shiny doesn't have anything to do with viability Kinderchick, I just noticed how shiny they were.  Our eggs aren't that shiny, more of a matte finish on them.  Except for our dummy eggs, which are fake eggs used to keep peregrines incubating while plans for fostering or something similar is put into place.  The eggs at Wilmington weren't dummy eggs but looked like them.  Interesting is all ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 08:19 »
In an interesting twist here..the new male is the son of the previous male who went missing.  Like Ivy he must have been hanging out near his birth home somewhere. 

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 07:57 »
...the eggs were removed, since a new male showed up, and courtship rituals were observed; there seems to be a new scrape in the nest area, and I believe they are hoping that it might not be too late for the female to lay a second clutch...saw one of them in the nest box this morning, seemingly inspecting the entire area...TPC, how hard is it on the female to produce 4 eggs, then perhaps produce more within a month or so?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 13:21 »
What exactly does this mean, if eggs look shiny?  :-\ Is that how one can tell that  eggs may not be viable? ???

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 11:05 »
The eggs at this site did not hatch after the male went missing. The female tried for several days but had to give up in order to keep herself fed. A new male entered the picture and it is apparently from a 2006 hatch and he is the offspring of the male that went missing. Quite an interesting turn of events, he gets to keep the site in the family. There could be another clutch as the female and male have been courting.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 17:12 »
This is the site Alison told us about last year where the chicks were found dead on the ground and they thought a new female had possibly killed them. Then this year the female again gone, new female and then now the male is gone after he wins his own territorial battle. 

I know it's nature but I am not sure about binding a 2 year old to this specific nest site.  I almost want to say if the eggs don't hatch, let her go and see where she goes.  She'll either find a new male or move on to bigger and better - she's still young and she comes from impressive lineage so no doubt she will thrive where ever she ends up! 

On the other hand I feel for her having this as her first experience..they sure don't have an easy life and she has such a fan following already from people who watched her grow up in Harrisburg and who are rooting for her - I really hope something positive comes out of all this.   

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 16:25 »
I really do  not think they are going to hatch but REd girl has not deserted them. she does leave them but does come back and incubate for quite awhile. the people there says weather is warm.

We have all been helping out in the monitoring. Not getting much work done ;D ;D

I sure hope they put in a foster chick soon.

there have also been reports of a falcon in the area, so who knows. As long as it is not femlae.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 16:17 »
Its now 1616 hrs (Wpg) and the eggs are uncovered again but they have been moved a bit, don't know when or who came by in the last hour.