Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 66538 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #423 on: July 06, 2010, 09:31 »
Oh MY !!!!

I am not ready for  this .

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #422 on: July 06, 2010, 09:15 »
I have never worried here but with this new male I will have to wait and see.

A few pictures from this morning. first feed and not a long one. She will no t be holding back feeding as it is way too soon.

I have to leave for a bit and clean my own nest box after these posts. Two weeks of  fledge watchng can make a nest dirty ;D ;D

I have a few meetings down there tomorrow so I will keep watch from ground a bit.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #421 on: July 05, 2010, 20:21 »
I hope Damon is okay too Bev, he is such an amazing dad and all those chicks he fostered...seriously one of the great ones.  I hope we hear of him again soon.  Given that Miss E survived and thrived, don't give up hope  :-* 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #420 on: July 05, 2010, 19:48 »
Thanks for the pics, bev. My, how fast they are growing and changing! :o

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #419 on: July 05, 2010, 15:05 »
a few shots from today

I just love seeing the back shots with such gorgeous feathering

yellow banded female is always alert[/b]

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #418 on: July 05, 2010, 14:45 »
Thanks for adding the information about the new male, Bev.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #417 on: July 05, 2010, 14:31 »
I thought I posted this , but I guess I forgot. The new male was born in 2004 ,at our downtown Edmonton site. Our other male was an Edmonton male also and I am just trying to find out where he was born. He is a few years older. I am hoping he is O.K.

I never once thought this male was a threat to our chicks. He did defend at banding. He is so similar to Damon. :'( :'( We have never seen any aggression at site ,while we were thre, so this was a shock to see different bands at banding. the chest of this new male is same as Damon, so from the ground we would not have seen a difference.

but my main concern is to get these guys fledged. And  this is number one.

They have had a few good feeds today.

thanks Carly for posting your explanation.

I have  asked a few people like Carly, ( becasue of different time Zones) from other sites to watch   and we have been seeing good feedings and the kids are self feeding also, so no worries.
It does take a global community to raise these guys.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 14:37 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #416 on: July 05, 2010, 14:27 »
the new male is constantly there .

I will post picturesas soon as downloaded but both were at nest area yesterday when Peter and I were there.
both have been a constant and that is why I never noticed the change.

One was above  nest box on roof of clinical science and then other flew in, and went just below ledge below nest box and then one on roof moved over to roof on jut of Clincial science.

Peter and I  are just watchng to wee if he brings in food.

Will post picutres later . I do not know how to download camera

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 14:33 by bev. »

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #415 on: July 05, 2010, 14:11 »
Thanks Carly. Really interesting reading your reply.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #414 on: July 05, 2010, 12:55 »
You have a great deal of knowledge from experiences at the Toronto sites.
It is very good of you to share with so many other sites, Carly!   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #413 on: July 05, 2010, 12:43 »
Thanks, Carly, for the reassuring information. 

We had a similar situation here last year when my two timing Jack was trying to woo TR Mom, she had 3 young one on the ledge too - only about 3 weeks old at that time.  At first she just drove him off any time he tried to go near the ledge her babies were on. 

Eventually though he won her over with food offerings and being as subservient as he could and he was eventually allowed to sit on the ledge near them.  She never did let him feed the kids though.  The females are extremely protective of their kids as we've certainly seen on cam, she'd kill anyone who tried to hurt them and let's face it, she's bigger than him  ;D

I've never heard of a tiercel hurting babies, a new female falcon..yes, seen that many times but the males seem to be very willing to adopt offspring that aren't theirs. 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #412 on: July 05, 2010, 12:20 »
Thanks, Carly, for the reassuring information. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #411 on: July 05, 2010, 12:13 »
This new male raises an interesting question  - will a new male that hasn't been part of the whole process take responsibility for feeding, etc ? Does instinct suddenly kick in ?

The male will certainly try to help, especially if he's trying to woo and impress Radisson.  Whether or not she allows him near the kids is another thing though...depends on how long he's been there and if trust has been established.  Don't forget the female is the dominant one so the new male will go along with whatever she wants in order to have a chance with her - it's her nestbox not his so he has to win her over and helping out with the kids would certainly go a long way to impressing her.   

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #410 on: July 05, 2010, 11:59 »
This new male raises an interesting question  - will a new male that hasn't been part of the whole process take responsibility for feeding, etc ? Does instinct suddenly kick in ?

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #409 on: July 05, 2010, 11:13 »
Bev I really appreciate the pictures to give us a better idea of where this nest box is and how it is set up in relation to the building, etc.  Thank you so much.  I would love to see pictures from so many of the other sights, especially the ones from the Netherlands.  I'm figuring I'll have to take a trip over there, get my bearings and post pictures because the area looks absolutely beautiful.

Thanks again and hang in there!