Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson  (Read 68509 times)

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
Re: U of Alberta - 2010 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #408 on: July 05, 2010, 09:17 »
I also wondered briefly about not seeing gulls in the box but not having watched avidly prior to this year, i thought maybe gulls were hunted when the chicks got older. Seems odd that the male was replaced so late in the season  ??? I really wish those ravens would move  - i cringe whenever i hear them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:27 by peaches123 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #407 on: July 05, 2010, 08:24 »
A few shots from yesterday

Where is the food??

Fianlly

all sacked out

I loved the next 3 of this one calling out

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2010, 11:47 »
Especially good to see are the shots of the big kids looking out.  Thanks, Bev.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #405 on: July 03, 2010, 23:55 »
Great pics, Thanks bev :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #404 on: July 03, 2010, 23:44 »
I think I was  in denial when we felt something was different. I noticed just pigeons coming into nest box and I wondered, but when we went down all was calm, every time we went.

It is hard for me to fathom, but my main concern right now is the kids and Radisson is doing a great job.

she always starts these guys early with self feed, but she always comes in and makes sure they are beak fed also. I first started to wonder a week ago, because Damon had so much food there all the time. It was a hoot. that is why it was so easy to foster into this nest, He could feed them all. All I hope is that this male can get them fledged and taught well.

I am sure all will be well. Will be an interesting fledge.

these are our pcitures from the ground today

these are from today . I have included some far away shots so yu would get to see area. we missed picture of male on  clinical science building as we were not going to take pcitures ,just observe.
YOu can see the black cover I had Gord put on white contaption. Hope it works (it is almost level with perch)

Radisson(we believe)

Shows where Radisson was in relation to nest box

this is where male was(on south side of clinical,nest box is on other side of it)

adult on campus tower(have not seen then there for awhile)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #403 on: July 03, 2010, 22:46 »
Drama! 
What ever happened to Damon, those chicks have been well looked after by Radisson with or without the aid of the new male.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #402 on: July 03, 2010, 22:42 »
They are so sweet at that age - if only it could last a little longer.

Hard to believe that Damon could have disappeared and a new male move in without your noticing, Bev, even with your having been busy elsewhere. That would have been a rather amazing switch, and Radisson just went along as if nothing was out of the ordinary?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #401 on: July 03, 2010, 22:19 »
I love your slide shows, bev. Thanks! :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #400 on: July 03, 2010, 22:00 »
Yes, he is banded and I am waiting to hear where he is from. I got clear picture at banding.  I hope it was not recent and he is helping Raddisson. He was defending at banding and we saw them both today.

Here is a slideshow of last 3 days

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #399 on: July 03, 2010, 21:48 »
... I wanted to share with you that we have  a new male. I am not sure when the switch came...
Hmmm... very interesting, bev. Is it a banded male? ???

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #398 on: July 03, 2010, 21:41 »
Peter and I went down to  site today preparing for fledge Watch. Can you believe that it will start in a week.

Yes these guys have been self feeding for a few days now. Radisson likes to start them early.

I wanted to share with you that we have  a new male. I am not sure when the switch came. I am usually more on top of it, but with monitoring  Genesse for the biologists  I missed it. We noticed at banding that there were no gull feathers(Damons preference)
and of course I have been monitoring Weber to pinpoint hatch date there.

Actually Pete and I have been asking people on  one site I belong to to watch the pair for awhile now. We thought something was different but we thought it was the ravens. We do know that Damon was here at the beginning of season. Another biologist confirmed the bands.

We have lost a number one male, who will never be replaces. They called him super male.
Between Columbus and here ,my heart is in my thraot , but I do not have time to worry , because we have to get these guys through fledging.

the both adults were at site today when we were there. The male was on south back part of Weber and Femlae was on the top above nest box.

Peter will download the camera in a bit. We did not take too many as we were watching . The male and female were soaring wonderfully west of clinical science fro a bit, but they were just a short flight from nest box. and I was watching so what could go wrong ;D ;D ;D

tahsk for picutres peaches.

I ahve a few form today and few days back . I will post in a bit

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #397 on: July 03, 2010, 18:27 »
Great pictures!
Thanks for sharing.  ;D

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #396 on: July 03, 2010, 17:34 »
They seem to have this figured out just fine.

Hazard of eating birds that don't come plastic-wrapped :)

Offline peaches123

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #395 on: July 03, 2010, 17:09 »
This is probably old news ( i didn't have access to a pc for 2 days ) but i just saw a food delivery and the chicks fed themselves. A milestone :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #394 on: July 03, 2010, 16:14 »
Wow! Just look at those dark feathers coming in already! :o