Author Topic: ON / Mississauga - Executive Centre - 2008-20  (Read 31984 times)

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Executive Centre - 2009 / ? & O'Connor & Tessie
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22 »
There are three parts to a mute:
Fecal - the semi-solid mass, frequently this is colored
Urate - white, chalky material - the crystalline uric acid that is the result of protein metabolism
Urine - clear water that flushes the waste from the system

hope this helps.. and you are not eating your lunch when you see it.. lol

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2009, 10:54 »
Thanks, Loriann.  That was very interesting. 
their mutes are all starting to look normal
What are mutes?

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2009, 09:56 »
A brief update from Tracy from the CPF Raptor Centre and the three hatchlings.  More than a noticeable improvement from all three of the hatchlings today, as they are of this evening three very different birds compared to what they looked and acted like on Friday afternoon when they arrived at the CPF Raptor Centre.  The little male hatchling named Apollo - (Black 37 over Y - with Blue tape) is now standing upright  and moving freely around in the nest tray and starting to respond very well to the fluids and food being offered. His weight has increased and he is looking very alert and animated, now starting to interact with his two other siblings.

His little sister Katarina - (Black 16 over X -with red tape ) who was suffering from the more severe dehydration and malnutrition is also now responding well to the food and fluids.  She has gained almost 20 grams in weight and is now consuming food faster then I can feed her.

The largest female sibling Magarida - (Black 17 over X - with Yellow tape) has obviously been one of the problems, given her huge size, dominance and strength in comparison to the other two hatchlings, as she consistently bullies the other two siblings and steels all of the food, many times from right out of their mouths before they can swallow it.  Neither of the other two hatchlings seem to have the strength or the awareness to prevent the older hatchling Magarida from taking all of their food.

While this behavior is quite typical of the largest or most dominant of the hatchlings in any given nest, this situation is magnified due to the much smaller and weakened condition of the other two siblings. The much larger Magarida has been getting most of what little food packages that the resident adult male father was able to bring in to the nest.

Without a second adult helping to provide food to the hatchlings, (and in this case, with the death of the resident adult female, who is capable of CARRYING much larger food packages), it has become quite obvious that the surviving resident adult male was not able to keep up the necessary food requirements to maintain the health of all three of his offspring.  The hatchlings are being fed three to four times a day and have are now consuming several hundred grams of food between the three.  As of this evening, they are all casting normal formed pellets and their mutes are all starting to look normal.

Pictures will follow.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2009, 12:42 »
Thanks Carly.  Much perkier looking by the last picture, good looking juvies in their fresh new box.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2009, 08:37 »
Thanks for posting the report and pictures, it's very interesting. Poor things look pretty pathetic, not the usual bright eyed chicks. Much improved in the last picture though! Let's hope everything goes well.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2009, 08:15 »
poor wee ones.. but they are all in good hands now....  thank you to Mark and his team for caring, and going what he does every single day........

and all in all a handsome bunch of babes..   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2009, 06:50 »
Yeah he's just added most of those pics so let me just say to anyone who goes to look;  WARNING: Photo of Deceased Falcon in Deteriorated Condition is posted!

Just in case, I know some people have a hard time looking at stuff like that.  You can read the article without going down to the photos though.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2009, 06:31 »
Thanks for posting this Carly. And the pics at the bottom of the article are great :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05 »
Here is Mark's official report on MEC, just posted detailing the findings:  Apparently dad didn't defend his chicks either  :'(

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2009/06/sightings/both-success-and-tragedy-in-the-sentence-paternal-mother-has-been-killed/

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2009, 20:12 »
Is the Raptor Mom Tracy mentioned in the article a Falcon, or our TPC?  What a coincidence?!?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2009, 17:47 »
I checked with the person who told me today and they are confident of the situation - the date of death, no one can be sure, just an assumption.  They never allow anyone to take chicks out of the nest - ever unless it's a serious situation even in cases where people have begged them to, so he must have been confident it was the correct course of action.

Here is Franks post from his post on CMNH - He even knows the ID of the new female!:

I received this message from BIG FRANK regarding Tessie from the Cleveland Clinic nest site:

Today we have learned there is a new female at our Mississauga Executive Centre nest site,here in Toronto. She has been ID'd as Teffi,a 2007 bird from Clevland Ohio(somewhere). She wore band m/83 black over green. The resident female was found dead on a platform near the nest,hidden from view,at banding time. There are 3 chicks of the dead female there. Ministry Of Natural Resources reps decided when 2 of the chicks were found to be dehydrated one quite severly they would not be returned to the nest after banding. Teffi showed no interest in being surrogate mama to the other Peregrines chicks. The chicks were taken to our avian vet Dr Luckwell where one took 10% of its body weight in fluids. They were cared for and are now at CPF Raptor Centre getting care from our Raptor Mom Tracy. She will likely spend tonite with them. Our next move may be to foster them at another site in the city,I will keep the board gang apprised.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 18:00 by carly »

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2009, 11:25 »
Just catching up on the sad news here about the female. :'(   I had checked in there yesterday and today and was wondering where the chicks were and if there was a spot where they could hide.  There has been an adult hanging around there this morning.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2009, 10:48 »
Sorry didn't mean to stir up a hornets' nest.

You didn't  :-*  Just project coordinator curiosity, these kinds of puzzles occur from time to time - remember all the speculation about what happened to Mariah in New York earlier this year ... everyone sat down with photos and videos after the fact to try to fill in the missing pieces.  I'm just interested to hear how all the pieces fit together in Mississauga once the gang there gets a chance to do the same thing ...

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2009, 10:16 »
thats why i was surprised when they said that mom had been dead for a few days/  the video CLEARLY shows a much larger bird feeding the kids.......  and yet they said she was not   I hope they have not jumped the gun in removing the chicks, but again. Mark knows best and we'll trust in him that he knows best for them.  As long as the little ones are okay, it does not change the outcome.    before they said that the third falcon see buzzing around was a juvinille bird but that was weeks ago.  None of the chicks from this nest survived last year, so can't be one of the kids..   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2009, 05:42 »
Didn't even know they had videos as I haven't had time to follow so many sites.    Maybe they are wrong about the date of mom's demise ...I dont' know much about how they tell those sorts of things.  Or maybe they observed something else we don't know or don't want to share at this time.  Sorry didn't mean to stir up a hornets' nest.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:58 by carly »