Author Topic: ON / Etobicoke - Bloor & Islington / 2008-21  (Read 65642 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Etobicoke - Sun-Life - 2009 / Jack & Angel
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2009, 13:31 »
I'm just assuming  :P  Angel and Marco tend to produce females with the odd boy thrown in every few years for good measure.  I'd be excited if they had all males for a change!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2009, 13:15 »
One of the chicks has been really feisty today, she moved right to the end of the nestbox earlier before mom got tired or her wiggling and promptly plucked her up and put her back in the pile  ;D  She's very inquisitive and won't sit still long...hehe!

She?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2009, 12:45 »
Excitement at Etobicoke:  I was watching another feeding when mom suddenly dropped the food, started alarming and off she went.  Three little heads all turned and looking like 'hey where did the food go  ???'.  So out to the front of the building I went and heard both alarming and saw them circling the condo roof tops - I thought the washers were done but apparently not as the rope is still there but on the opposite side now!  But no sign of a human, they must have stepped out onto the roof and been dive bombed..lol!  Both parents continued circling and diving for a few minutes, then dad flew to the top of our building and mom flew to the ledge but not into the nestbox.  Finally dad was satisfied that whatever the threat was - it was taken care of for now and he flew to the ledge and is now standing guard as mom continued the feeding.

One of the chicks has been really feisty today, she moved right to the end of the nestbox earlier before mom got tired or her wiggling and promptly plucked her up and put her back in the pile  ;D  She's very inquisitive and won't sit still long...hehe!

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2009, 09:00 »
Thanks for the great update Carly. Nice to know that everything is going well for the 3 little ones. 
I hope that the window washer went out and got himself a hard hat if he is planning on being on the condo today.   ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2009, 08:50 »
Monday Morning update:

Angel and 3 fast growing eyases are enjoying a bit of sunshine this morning.  The fourth egg is still beside the young however Angel no longer seems to be bothering to incubate it.  I expect the next few days will see the egg pushed off to the side as the young no longer use it to lean on.  Two feedings have occured already and Angel is now sitting with a chick pile in front of her enjoying the sun.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2009, 21:00 »
Thanks, Carly! We are lucky you are there to provide updates - otherwise we wouldn't have a clue what is happening there.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2009, 20:53 »
No, no word on it at all.  They are having major challenges with computer systems.

The family is doing great though.  Saw a few good feedings today and I think that fourth egg will remain a pillow like last year but hey you never know!  The three little ones are all very close in size up to now but one of them is showing signs of being the ring leader already...I bet she's a girl  ;D

Today the window washers were on the next building (the condos) again.  I was down watching a feeding when one of them came in - he said to me 'oh there are chicks', I said yes 3 of them, isn't it great!  He said 'umm I am going to be on a chair washing windows today and last year when they had babies one of them got me in the neck soon as I stepped on the roof'.  LOL!  Poor guy, he was ashen.  I said 'yeah well they are territorial when the babies are born, maybe a helmet would be in order next time'.  He walked off looking very uncomfortable.

I did check outside a few times and Marco was on the next ledge watching the guy like a hawk but didn't see any attacks when I was out.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2009, 20:45 »
Thank you so much for the updates, Carly! I miss being able to see the parents and babies on the cam. Any word on when/if it and the live stream might be fixed?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2009, 09:52 »
thanks CARly.
 Miss being able to watch from time to time

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2009, 19:36 »
Especially ....
  "Dad came in all proud with a pigeon..."
thanks for keeping us up on all the good details!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2009, 19:30 »
Thank you Carly!  Great explanation for those of us that can't see  ;D

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2009, 14:16 »
Great descriptions Carly  8)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2009, 12:27 »
Just caught another feeding!!  Dad came in all proud with a pigeon so the chicks are stuffed now!  It was a long feeding.  Two of them finally fell over onto the egg and then mom started to tuck them in and get comfortable when she realized one of them was over to her side and not under her.  She had wiggled her way over to the edge of the nestbox - I loved the look on her face when she looked over, like 'how did you get over there?' So she got up turned it over with her beak and then picked her up and plunked her down in the pile and sat on all of them.  Gosh they are adorable!!  ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2009, 11:06 »
I am glad you are getting to see our wee ones get fed.
I remember at Edmonton ,when the window washers were brave enough to go up. They soon learned to wear helmets ;D ;D ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2009, 10:09 »
More excitement, I just witnessed another feeding and both parents aggitated, Marco stood guard right to the box while she fed the chicks - there is window washer without a helmet on the condo building next door!!  They should know better!!  Angel has calmed down now but she is sitting high and her head is swivelling alot.