Author Topic: News: Other Falcons  (Read 16477 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: News: Other Falcons
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 10:49 »
Yup, its a Merlin - female or young of the year, can't tell by size in the photo ...

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 08:37 »
I have watched Merlin's feed on the big screen at the North end during a football game before...notice the missing mallar stripes, it's a Merlin
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/100431873

Online RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 23:12 »
At sundown yesterday, one falcon at the Bleachers.
Dupre 501 On Global news yesterday they showed a bird that was dive bombing the crowd at the Bomber game on Thursday.  This bird looks like a peregrine to me.  He/she remained at the stadium for the whole game and is pictured very close to people in the stands.  Can you look at the pictures and let me know if it was one of our peregrines.
.  You can see the pictures if you go the Global Winnipeg. com and then to the weather for August 17.  The weather girl invites people to send in their pictures which are shown at the end of her weather spiel.  So you will have to listen to a few minutes of old weather till the pictures are shown.  Also behavior seems a little odd since since peregrines aren't crazy about people.  thanks

Here are the pictures
The pics start at 2:43 in the weather forcast
http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/video/winnipeg+weather+forecast+august+17/video.html?v=2269784761&p=1&s=dd#weather

Offline noellat

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 22:26 »
At sundown yesterday, one falcon at the Bleachers.
Dupre 501 On Global news yesterday they showed a bird that was dive bombing the crowd at the Bomber game on Thursday.  This bird looks like a peregrine to me.  He/she remained at the stadium for the whole game and is pictured very close to people in the stands.  Can you look at the pictures and let me know if it was one of our peregrines.
.  You can see the pictures if you go the Global Winnipeg. com and then to the weather for August 17.  The weather girl invites people to send in their pictures which are shown at the end of her weather spiel.  So you will have to listen to a few minutes of old weather till the pictures are shown.  Also behavior seems a little odd since since peregrines aren't crazy about people.  thanks

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 10:49 »
When I went into the site to see the "wee one" it was being said that the parents would eat it.  Is there something wrong with this situation or is it because they are in captivity that this would happen.  I'm confused as RCF's info states that they raise their  young the same as our Peregrines do.  Maybe I'm not reading this correctly???
I was confused about that article too, Ellie. I was actually shocked to read that the parents would eat the chick if it were not removed within 20 days and certainly did wonder how preserving this species would be possible, if that were the case. Perhaps this only happens in captivity, as you say, because this is in contrast to the article that rcf posted. I'm thinking I might try to e-mail someone at the Staglands Wildlife Reserve to ask a few questions about the species.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 22:03 »
I want to think its an error on the part of the reporter Ellie - the parents would need to continue feeding the chick while it learns to hunt on its own but perhaps the birds are very territorial and in a breeding situation this territoriality can turn deadly when chicks are fledgish age - the adults see them as competition.  But this is purely speculation that the reporter made a small error in wording rather than a big error.  Killing the chick for food would be an evolutionary flaw in which case saving the NZ falcon from extinction would be doubly difficult.

More research is required  ;D I'm afraid if we want to understand the whole picture ...

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 16:59 »
When I went into the site to see the "wee one" it was being said that the parents would eat it.  Is there something wrong with this situation or is it because they are in captivity that this would happen.  I'm confused as RCF's info states that they raise their  young the same as our Peregrines do.  Maybe I'm not reading this correctly???

Online RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 20:37 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 20:02 »
Interesting article about a New Zealand Falcon chick that recently hatched at Staglands Wildlife Reserve near Wellington...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/6252931/Fast-life-for-little-predator

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 20:41 »
...Sabaa is one of four Saker Falcons being used at the site, and yes, they are flying a peregrine as well as a few hawk species.
Right, you did say that. I guess I was skimming. ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 19:50 »
Sabaa is one of four Saker Falcons being used at the site, and yes, they are flying a peregrine as well as a few hawk species.

The Saker Falcon (Falco cherrug) is a very large falcon. This species breeds from eastern Europe eastwards across Asia to Manchuria. It is mainly migratory except in the southernmost parts of its range, wintering in Ethiopia, the Arabian peninsula, northern Pakistan and western China. During the end of the last ice age–oxygen isotope stages 3-2, some 40,000 to 10,000 years ago–it also occurred in Poland (Tomek & Bocheński 2005).

Saker - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saker_Falcon

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 19:51 by The Peregrine Chick »

Online RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 19:11 »
Is that a gyrfalcon in the photo, TPC? :-\
It's a Saker Falcon, I think they are European.
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/saker_falcon.htm

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 18:35 »
Is that a gyrfalcon in the photo, TPC? :-\

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 17:43 »
Wow, I don't live far from there -- definitely time to take a drive over and see what I can see!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 17:34 »
I heard about this on the news yesterday.

The contract was signed a few months ago and the birds have been flying since April or May and its working nicely so far from what I hear  :)