Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18  (Read 82338 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2010 / Weber & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2010, 22:21 »
On april21, Miss Edmonton was in North Texas.
Go girl go.

Tonight we spotted a falcon at the Weber building. Hopefully they are just stopping there or it is male from last year.
will post pictures when they are processed and I  send them to biologists.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2010, 14:35 »
Miss Edmonton is 2 days later , than last year on the move.  could have been weather.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2010, 12:17 »
I just received an update  that Miss Edmonton sometime before April6, which is when her transmitter turned on. she flew from northern columbia through Panama  that day. On April 12she passed through Costa Rica into NIcaragua.

She is on her way :-* :-*

Holy cats she's late on the move ...

The Genesse male left late too, perhaps the biologists are correct in thinking they slow them down somehow.  I know Bev had mentioned that they were wondering about that.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2010, 11:38 »
I just received an update  that Miss Edmonton sometime before April6, which is when her transmitter turned on. she flew from northern columbia through Panama  that day. On April 12she passed through Costa Rica into NIcaragua.

Holy cats she's late on the move ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2010, 20:42 »
Yay..hope she has a safe flight home!  I know you're anxious to see her again Bev!  Safe travels Ms Edmonton!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2010, 18:55 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2010, 18:31 »
yes, homeless and Miss Edmonton are one in the same.  she is our transmitter girl. They do not like naming our peregrines so I  do it for them. But it is not recorded.  I jsut told them I would not call her homeless.   Gord was laughing yesterday when I talked about Froona , our female juvenile from last year.

Miss Edmonton  lost her site in 2007 to Miss Balzac, who in 2008, fought again with Miss Edmonton and won. 2 days later Miss Balzac lost to Radisson. She was a young female so it was too bad.  I have witnessed far too many fights and so I am always nervous this time of year.

I watch Miss Edmonton all the time. Geoff tells me she is heading home and then I wait and watch for her.  
she has wintered not too far from the transmitter male from Genesse. Gord says they have not left yet as far as he knows.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2010, 18:26 »
And she did retain her nest that year. but lost it in 2007. 

We now have 7 nesting pairs in Edmonton and then Genessee(downtown, Ft. Sask, university, high level misecordia hospital, inland cement, Weber building,( gas plant ,not sure abut this one)

My gal :-* :-* :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2010, 10:55 »
This is jumping the gun a wee bit as none of the Alberta (to my knowledge & snooping) have returned yet, but thought y'all might be interested in this old article I found from the U of A Folio collection - its about Ms Edmonton/Homeless/TG ....  Had to snag it from a cached version as the original can't be accessed (could in Jan, just not now).

U of A falcon wintering in South America
U of A Folio News Story - 4 November 2005

The female peregrine falcon that nests on the Clinical Sciences Building is now sunning herself in Colombia, according to tracking data supplied by the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS).  According to Geoff Hurly, associate director of operations and energy management, the falcon left Edmonton sometime after Oct. 12. By Oct. 18, she was about 100 km northwest of Houston, Texas, and by Oct. 23, she was somewhere near Tikal, Guatemala. At last check, she was 200 km north of Medellin, Colombia.

"Her speed of migration has been pretty impressive," said Gordon Court, a biologist with Alberta Fish and Wildlife. "She did 2,900 km in four days. Right now she's just drifting south looking for a good place to winter, which means mainly a good place where lots of prey are concentrated."

After a scrap with another female last summer, the falcon was fitted with a satellite transmitter while being rehabilitated by U of A falcon researcher Dr. Alastair Franke. Franke, whose own research focuses on peregrines in Rankin Inlet, NWT, suggested to CWS researcher Geoff Holroyd that he might find the tracking data useful, because Holroyd follows the migration pattern of falcons.  One reason for tracking the falcons, said Court, is to find out where they are picking up pesticide residue.

"If we had enough of these birds marked and were able to take tissues from either their bodies or the eggs they lay when they come back in the spring, we could identify parts of South and Central America where they wintered and find out how dirty they really are," said Court, who works closely with Holroyd and Franke.

Pesticide contamination, particularly from DDT, drove peregrines to the brink of extinction several decades ago. In 1970, there was only one known pair in Alberta. Because DDT use has declined over the past few decades, however, the species has made a strong recovery and have been delisted from endangered to threatened.

"They will be reassessed next year and may be taken off the threatened list as well if they continue to improve," said Court, adding that there are now about 52 known pairs in the province and five in Edmonton - one nesting on the downtown Telus building, one at Inland Cement in the west end, one on an Imperial Oil flaring stack at 34th St. and Baseline Rd., a new pair on Saskatchewan Drive west of 109 St. and our own pair here on campus.

Despite the recovery, says Court, peregrines are still picking up DDT and other organo-chlorine pollutants when they migrate south.  "One of the birds we had a radio on went to Mazatlan and nested in a very intensive agricultural situation where they were growing tomatoes. She was quite heavily laden with DDT residue."

The U of A falcon will likely return in March or early April, says Court, and there is a good chance she will try to reclaim her Clinical Sciences nest, where the ongoing drama will likely continue.  "She may find the male she was paired with last year has another female, and it gets quite violent. But usually the bird that's been there the year before is successful in retaking the territory," he said.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2010, 10:23 »
Thanks Carly, was worried I was getting my identities mixed up  :P
I was at a conference with Geoff Holroyd from CWS recently and of course we started chatting peregrines and he referred to her as Homeless which is kinda unusual, the Alberta gang are notorious (in my experience) for not naming their peregrines!!  But maybe that has changed over the years, I keep forgetting how long I've been in this game  :o

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2010, 07:00 »
Miss Edmonton is indeed transmitter girl - Bev named her Miss Edmonton so she would have a dignified name instead of just 'homeless girl'.  She was previously the resident female at U of A but lost a fierce territorial battle with the female prior to Radisson (can't remember her name but Bev will know). 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:01 by carly »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Alberta / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2010 / Weber & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2010, 22:37 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

While there isn't a cam on this site, it does have some very dedicated caretakers  ;) who are happy to provide photos and updates on a regular basis.  

The female on this site was called Miss Edmonton last year but I can't recall if she is the one with the transmitter on her ... perhaps our devoted Edmonton watchers can give us an update.  I know there is a peregrine named Homeless with a transmitter but I never remember if she is the one in Edmonton at the Weber Building site ... help?   ???
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 22:41 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2009 / Beau & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2009, 22:17 »
Here's to a successful nest for Miss Edmonton next season....we love you miss E!!! Good luck to you and safe flying!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2009, 21:38 »
Thank you for the update, Bev! Talons crossed for Miss Edmonton to winter safely in Colombia and return safely in the Spring. I hope her new mate also stays safe, and returns to the nest safely in the Spring.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2009, 18:25 »
Thanks for the info Bev, I hope Miss Edmonton has a safe and uneventful flight to her winter home and can't wait til next Spring when she comes back  :-*