Author Topic: OH / Dayton - Boonshoft - 2009-16  (Read 9744 times)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Boonshoft Museum - 2009 / Daniel & Dayton
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 16:04 »
The numbers speak. Harshly, though it seems. The more the population grows, the mortality rate takes. So we will hear more than we did last year or this year of mortalities. Hope is still there, the peregrine falcons are returning.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:43 »
Mortality estimates run from 50-70% in the first year, some will be before they leave their natal areas, the rest during migration.  To repeat something I've said before ... it still sucks.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 19:51 »
I know they have a high mortality rate and is it just me but this spring seems worse than last year and I don't like it.   :'(  I read about Lara and Rocky's 2 girls on your site as well Alison, too sad for words  :'(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 19:54 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 19:04 »
I check the site for updates frequently, and this update wasn't there last time I checked. I didn't know we had lost little Kettering.  :'(

July 8, 2009 Update

Each season we hope for the best for the juvenile falcons but their survival is not always guaranteed. On July 7, a caller notified staff at the Division of Wildlife that a Peregrine falcon hit a pole and was found dead near the intersection of Germantown and Old Field Road.

Division of Wildlife staff identified the dead Peregrine as Kettering, one of our young males that was born this spring. The identity was confirmed using the leg band that was given at the banding on May 18 (49/A). While there is no way to ascertain the exact circumstances surrounding Kettering’s death, there is a high mortality rate for Peregrines in their first year.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 20:57 »
All three chicks fledged successfully. On June 10, Oakley was found on the ground, and was to be returned to the nest on June 11.

I was happy to see her on the nest ledge late yesterday:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
OH / Dayton - Boonshoft - 2009-16
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 20:44 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

The three chicks at the Dayton nest were banded today. They are Oakley (female), Patterson (male), and Kettering (male). Band numbers have not been mentioned at this point. The parents are Daniel and Dayton.