Author Topic: ON / Burlington - Lift Bridge - 2009-13  (Read 12659 times)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Burlington - Lift Bridge - 2009 / Sir Adam Beck & Cirrus
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2009, 13:15 »
Fantastic for both of you, take tons of pictures ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2009, 12:26 »
carly we're going to go in the spring and you are welcome to come too............  I can pick you up if you like.

Really?  That would be awesome Lori!

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2009, 10:20 »
carly we're going to go in the spring and you are welcome to come too............  I can pick you up if you like.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2009, 06:53 »
Thanks for the photos Alison.  I'm going to go visit him soon as I can convince a friend with a vehicle to take me!  Times like this I kick myself for never having learned to drive!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2009, 23:54 »
An update on Pittsburgh Pete from the CPF site:

Bill and I visited Mountsberg Raptor Centre today to photograph Pittsburgh Pete.  We are happy to report that as he cannot be released into the wild we felt he is in a good place.  He is being well cared for and was sunning himself on a perch in the enclosed ring.  Amy from Mountsberg reports that he is settling in quite nicely, but still has a little way to go to be totally comfortable around people.   As far as she can tell, he has not had a seizure since September.  Below are a couple of photos from our visit.  Amy told us today that he has a distinct scar from his injury and that his crop fills to the side not to the front as normal.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2009/11/sightings/pittsburgh-pete-at-mountsberg-raptor-centre/

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2009, 21:27 »
Thanks for the info Alison...He is certainly a very handsome tiercel!  I do hope he gets better and adapts to his new surroundings.  I know that these raptors belong in the wild flying high above all the rest at their best, but unfortunately for this one, he is grounded.  Sometimes, I'm not even sure what's best for a falcon is this situation as their instincts are to fly, establish a territory, defend their territory, mate, raise chicks to keep the genetic pool going.....sigh. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 20:45 »
It is sad that Pete cannot be released, but it is good that he has found a permanent home where he is welcome. Perhaps with time his seizures will diminish. Many seizures can be controlled with medication such as Diazepam (Valium). It also depends on what type of seizures he has: mild seizures involve a temporary disorientation, ataxia and inability to perch; more serious seizures can involve unconsciousness, vocalizing, wing flapping and paddling. There are also partial seizures, which are usually indicated by a head twitch, or a twitch of an extremity.

I think in Pete's case it is likely that some type of head trauma caused his seizures. Or perhaps heavy metal toxicity, particularly lead or zinc, although X-rays would have shown any heavy metal particles. Pesticides and organophosphates are another possible cause in peregrines, and hypoglycemia is another cause in raptors in particular.

Pete is a very handsome tiercel. I hope everything will work out well for him in his new home.

Photos of Pete from the Mountsberg Raptor Centre blog.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 20:49 »
How intriguing..I can't wait for more info!!! 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 10:44 »
That is amazing. To think that that kind of research is being done. Were these birds being raised for hunting purposes or is there some other reason they would have been in Dubai?

UAE does alot of very cutting edge veterinary research on/with peregrines and other raptors.  And they publish their research which is great.  There were a couple of other ones I found recently that I should post here ... will see if I can find them in the next little while ...

* writes note on post-it and looks around for a place to post it, a place that doesn't already have a peregrine project post-it ... *

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 16:41 »
That was a great article and link TPC, thank you so much.  I'm going to go through the various issues and educate myself a bit!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 14:48 »
I gather from the article it was a breeding facility to train hunting falcons.

Anyway, I guess none of those conditions really applies to Pete!

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 22:28 »
That is amazing. To think that that kind of research is being done. Were these birds being raised for hunting purposes or is there some other reason they would have been in Dubai?

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 21:07 »
check out this issue of the Falco (http://www.savethesaker.com/images/falco18.pdf) - on page 10 there is an article entitled: Case Study: Episodic Epileptiform Seizures in Peregrine Falcons in Dubai, UAE

This is a very fascinating article, the amount of investigation and treatment described was astonishing!  The long conclusive sentence seems to boil down to... if you are a hormonally challenged peregrine, with low vitamin D levels, while in a pen lit with an old fashioned neon bulb, (which is like a strobe light to the falcon's highly developed visual system) you are at risk for seizures.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 11:27 »
Could be a head injury or a blood clot - just like in people. And since people sometimes get seizures for no easily identifiable reason, I suppose birds could, too. I'm thinking of Trey and Princess' chick that had a neurological disorder and tumbled out of the nest a couple of years ago.

Taku's cerebral damage was more severe in that at the time of her death, 1/2 of her brain was actually necrotic - that's what damaged her balance centre (hence the fall) and her lack of muscle strength/coordination (contributed to fall).  For Pete, check out this issue of the Falco (http://www.savethesaker.com/images/falco18.pdf) - on page 10 there is an article entitled: Case Study: Episodic Epileptiform Seizures in Peregrine Falcons in Dubai, UAE .  One possible explanation, especially since he was recovering from a major injury and his immunity would have been impaired.

Food for thought at least ...

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 10:45 »
Could be a head injury or a blood clot - just like in people. And since people sometimes get seizures for no easily identifiable reason, I suppose birds could, too. I'm thinking of Trey and Princess' chick that had a neurological disorder and tumbled out of the nest a couple of years ago.