Author Topic: ON / Windsor - Ambassador Bridge - 2009-12  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Windsor - Ambassador Bridge - 2009 / Freddie & Voltaire
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 21:49 »
I checked through our 20 years of nesting records (at a total of 6 nestsites) and I can't find any occurrence of frounce in any of our chicks/birds.

Considering that Frounce is relatively common in peregrines, I think this is a great record.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 21:47 »
Whew...I tried to correct a quote but can't so this is a post for nothing  ::)
I'm having issues taking a section out of a quoted paragraph to comment on it...Again, allikat seems to be having trouble with quoting!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 21:55 by allikat »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 21:44 »
TPC. Is there anyway that trounce can be treated as a precaution , before they actually have it.
Preventative measure, per say.

Bev, I have known of several sites where the chicks have been treated prophylactically for Frounce. I am not sure how effective this really is - perhaps TPC has more info on that. The same medication that is used to treat Frounce, Flagyl (Metronidazole) is also used to treat Giardia in birds. If it is used when that organism is not actively shedding, it will have no effect. Flagyl is also very hard on the liver, so it is not something to be overused.

All fungicides are hard on the liver - human or bird - so as a prophylaxsis, it is can be seen to be as great a risk to the chicks health (small liver, easier to damage) as frounce if they acquire it.  I checked through our 20 years of nesting records (at a total of 6 nestsites) and I can't find any occurrence of frounce in any of our chicks/birds.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 19:58 »
TPC. Is there anyway that trounce can be treated as a precaution , before they actually have it.

Bev, I have known of several sites where the chicks have been treated prophylactically for Frounce. I am not sure how effective this really is - perhaps TPC has more info on that. The same medication that is used to treat Frounce, Flagyl (Metronidazole) is also used to treat Giardia in birds. If it is used when that organism is not actively shedding, it will have no effect. Flagyl is also very hard on the liver, so it is not something to be overused.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 17:55 »
No, fungicides are not something you can just "give" they are very powerful ... and fungal infections tend to take hold where there is a weaker immunity, so the female chick may well have had other problems that just had not yet manifested themselves ... and could have been passed along to her young if shew were to survive long enough to breed successfully ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 20:30 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 11:46 »
"... same thing that has been killing the chicks elsewhere" ... "From what you read elsewhere, this seems to be a known problem" ...

First, has anyone seen a confirmation of what the "problem" was?  If you are talking about trichomoniasis (frounce), its a parasitic infection, not a fungus.  It is also pretty common. 

Second, there are a whole host of things that chicks in the nest are susceptible to - bacterial, viral and fungal infections, parasites and environmental stressors - rain, cold, heat.

We know that the Windsor chick had a fungal infection from the report - fungal infections are brutally tough to get rid of, I had one and I was deathly ill, and it took six months for chemo-like drugs to do their work and another two years to regain my strength.

Fungi that affect birds: Aspergillosis, Candidiasis, Crytococcosis & I'm sure there are more ....

Parasitic infections - Trichomoniasis, Cryptosporidium, Coccidia, Cryptospridiosis and again, I'm sure there are more I don't know about ...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:50 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline nibs

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 09:11 »
From what I read elsewhere, this seems to be a know problem. What I was wondering,does it go in stages yr to yr ? Some worse than others and should the pigeons & doves be watched also (like they do with crows and blue jays for west nile) so that they know if there is going to be a bigger problem some yrs?(if that makes any sense)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 09:04 »
I wonder if this is the same thing that has been killing the chicks else where. I am beginning to wonder if a treatment program needs to be evaluated.

I am glad that they got her into rehab but I wish it had been done sooner.  If it is the same thing , it just seems to travel so quickly.
a lot of chicks this year?????

Sad indeed.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 06:08 »
Dennis Patrick Reports:
Dear Peregrine Community,

I am sorry to inform all of you that late Friday the little female chick died peacefully at Wings Rehab from a type of fungus infection. We believe this to be the first reported case of such an infection at Wings Rehab.

Obviously this outcome is far from what any of us hoped for our peregrine family and our first Peregrine Watch.

However, it is important to put this sad news into perspective: the rate of mortality for young peregrines in their first year ranges from around 60% to over 80%.

The fact that one out of two chicks on our Watch not only survived, but seems to be doing very well is a success. This first Peregrine Watch has been a learning experience for everyone involved, and we all did a good job under very challenging circumstances. We have learned so much that can be applied to future Watches. Look how far we’ve come! As a community we went from no peregrines, to a pair of peregrines checking out the nest site but without a successful hatching, to having 3 eggs but only 2 hatch, to having 2 young make their way into the world, and one chick doing extremely well. Now Voltaire & Freddy can focus all their attention on the young male, and that is a good thing.

Once again, Dennis & I thank you for your commitment, passion, and concern regarding these young peregrines. We do plan to apply lessons learned from this year’s Watch, and we sincerely hope that you will consider being part of this important effort in the future. And of course, we hope our family of peregrines will grace us with their presence next year.

Dennis Patrick
Gwenster
CPF Site Coordinator

Caroline Biribauer
Friends of Watersheds Organizer
Essex Region Conservation Authority

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 20:03 »
Keep us posted Carly. I am going to go looking to see what I can see.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 18:43 »
I wonder what's going on? 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 17:31 »
Me too Bev, it sounds similar to how Bella was behaving at GRE. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 17:23 »
I sure hope they do  not wait too long.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 05:10 »
This did pop up on my alert this morning, seems the young female juvie may be having some issues.

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=c4554f10-a3ea-4e90-b083-b022d8745558