Author Topic: ON / Windsor - Ambassador Bridge - 2009-12  (Read 11147 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Windsor - Ambassador Bridge - 2010 / Freddie & Voltaire
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 18:51 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

An article on the peregrines at the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor:

Falcons back, with chicks

Peregrine young seen Saturday at bridge.  Peregrine falcon couple Freddie and Voltaire are back nesting under the Ambassador Bridge and have two chicks this year.  The young appeared May 1 and the Windsor Peregrine Watch Team is already looking for volunteers to train to monitor the nest especially when the young get ready for a first flight in June.  Eighty per cent of peregrine falcon chicks don't survive and the team is hoping people will keep their distance or be trained at a May 16 workshop to help protect the fledglings when they are ready to fly.

"All we want to do is improve their odds," Windsor Peregrine Watch Team site co-ordinator Dennis Patrick said Friday.

It's the second year the peregrine falcons at the bridge have produced young. Last year one chick died and the other got injured, rescued and then disappeared. It's not clear what happened to that bird, but the adult peregrine falcons stayed in Windsor during the winter.

This year Patrick is asking people to keep their distance from the threatened species or train to be part of the watch team that is affiliated with the Canadian Peregrine Foundation. The training workshop is being held Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Walker Road Superstore in the community room. Patrick said volunteers will work shifts to monitor the birds and will learn how to protect the peregrines during the mid June period when the fledglings attempt their first flights. Patrick said the team will have a protocol mandated by the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Canadian Peregrine Foundation and will only intervene if the young are in imminent danger.

The team hopes to train 20 to 25 volunteers for three-hour shifts during mid-June. He's asking people who aren't volunteers to respect the species at risk and the property at the bridge and the University of Windsor. Anyone whose presence is not in the best interest of the birds could be asked to leave, he said.

"If they could just understand, this is a National Geographic special right above our heads. We're seeing a bird make a comeback in an area where it was extinct," Patrick said of the importance of a successful nest.

Windsor is lucky to have a peregrine falcon nest since the cliff dwellers usually prefer a higher ledge on a skyscraper when in urban areas. And in flat Windsor, the Ambassador Bridge nest could be the first peregrine falcon nest ever in the area, said Marion Nash, vice-president of the Canadian Peregrine Foundation. She said there are 88 nests in Ontario with most in northern Ontario. In the bird's comeback, "every single nest site is important," Nash said.  She said people interested in following peregrines can do so on the foundation's website at www.peregrine-foundation.ca. She said too many gawkers can stress out the birds and since the peregrine falcons are territorial, it could be dangerous.

http://www.windsorstar.com/technology/Falcons+back+with+chicks/3007880/story.html

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Windsor - Ambassador Bridge - 2009 / Freddie & Voltaire
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 17:47 »
No nothing Alison  :'(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 16:40 »
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the missing juvie. The last update I have seen was from August 24, about a sighting that was thought not to be the same juvie.

http://www.windsorstar.com/technology/Peregrine+sighted+Riverside+Drive+missing+raptor/1925707/story.html

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15 »
this is what angers me. I just wish people could leave well enough alone. Let the rehabilitators do their jobs.
I s it better for the young to be with their family, most definitely. but not if they are injured.

I know they do do not know for sure what happened, but it looks suspicious to me.

I am praying that things end well.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 05:19 »
People have been calling in sightings in Windsor however it is doubtful that it was Ambassador they saw as his injurey was quite serious and he wouldn't be able to fly away.  And police have confirmed the hole was not made by an animal.

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=3265c6ad-c786-4c52-9ae3-68477ac5aa50

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 18:41 »
I haven't heard anything but if I do, for sure I will post it here  :(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 18:21 »
Just wondering if there is any news - Carly, if you hear anything, please post an update.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 20:06 »
Obviously not well thought out as he was still injured, they've probably sent him to his death.  If he's still hurt and we know he hasn't learned to hunt yet... :'(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 19:33 »
I hope that someone can put out the word and then maybe, just maybe he will reappear. 
I hope he is okay...
I think someone set him free not realizing that he was most likely going to be set free once he was rehabilitated. 
We're all thinking of you little guy...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 19:26 »
This is unbelievable - it does sound as if someone may have taken him. I can only hope he is found and returned to the wildlife centre.  :'( :'(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 19:13 »
*sigh* Someone may now have doomed our surviving juvie.  And people wonder why I dance on my balcony... :'(

http://www.windsorstar.com/technology/Injured+peregrine+does+disappearing/1879046/story.html

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 11:20 »
Thanks for the update...albeit, not a great one but time will tell on this little guy.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 08:21 »
More on Ambassador:

A week after his sister died, the male peregrine falcon that was hatched under the Ambassador Bridge this spring has suffered an injury that could permanently affect his future in the wild.  Nancy Phillips, president of the Wings Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, said it's believed the male fledgling was hurt in the thunderstorm that struck Windsor Thursday afternoon.  The injured falcon -- known as Ambassador -- was rescued from the ground by observers, who immediately brought him to the centre for treatment.

"He does have a small injury, and we're worried about his well-being at this time," Phillips said. "We just don't know which way it's going to play. We want to give all our time and energy to the bird at this moment, and see what we can do in the next few days."

The male is one of two chicks hatched in early May by a peregrine falcon couple who have chosen the support pillar on the Windsor side of the Ambassador Bridge as their annual nesting site.  The other chick, a female, died June 19 with a throat infection.  Observers have surmised that the heavy winds during the storm blew the male fledgling to the ground, injuring one of his wings.

Phillips said Ambassador is "resting comfortably," and the centre's goal is to give him as much peace and quiet as possible. "We are seeing some improvement."  The centre hopes to have the bird examined by a veterinarian and X-rayed early this week.  Phillips said she's been told Freddie and Voltaire -- the names given to the parent couple -- have remained in the Ambassador Bridge area, and they can still be seen around the pillar.  But time is running out for the young male. Phillips said the bird is a "teenager." This stage of his life is when he should be learning crucial survival skills from his parents.  For that reason, it would be ideal if he could return to Freddie and Voltaire in a matter of days. But Phillips said that won't be possible "unless he can recuperate very fast -- which I can't see happening, that fast. I think time will tell."

Peregrine falcons are considered a species at risk in Canada. Their numbers fell severely in the 1970s due to the pesticide DDT. Now the birds are making a gradual comeback, and they've adapted to urban environments.

Since this spring's successful hatchings, the Windsor falcon family and their nest site have drawn many onlookers and volunteers.  Phillips remains positive about Ambassador's future. She said he has many long-term options: he could be kept for educational purposes, or brought to places dedicated to bird rehabilitation.  Phillips said the Ministry of Natural Resources will make the final choice on where the bird should go.  Phillips credited observers for saving the bird Thursday, and acknowledged their disappointment at the latest events in the falcon family's lives.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 19:03 »
Part of an update on the Windsor peregrines, dated June 27:

Junior the male chick is resting comfortably after a nasty tumble during the Vicious Thunder Storms we had on Thursday evening.  The family has not left to wander aimlessly around the region. Despite reports other wise. Two of our dedicated volunteers who are actually following what is going on at the Bridge found Junior grounded and with due protocol rescued the little fellow after that terrible storm.

We are all thankful that Ray and Toni listened to their hearts because of their love of the birds and went down just to see how the birds were doing. Gwen and I had been there in the morning but had other obligations going on when Junior needed to be rescued.  Gwen and I are totally thankful for Ray and Toni finding Junior, keeping their heads and most probably saving his life.  I will give you more information as I have it on Junior.

The chicks are not officially banded or named yet and the male will be named only in the event that he gets better.

I hope this little guy will be okay. The update doesn't sound too positive.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 21:51 »
All fungicides are hard on the liver - human or bird - so as a prophylaxsis, it is can be seen to be as great a risk to the chicks health (small liver, easier to damage) as frounce if they acquire it.  I checked through our 20 years of nesting records (at a total of 6 nestsites) and I can't find any occurrence of frounce in any of our chicks/birds.

And let's hope it stays that way!

ABSOLUTELY!!!  ;D