Author Topic: ON / Etobicoke - Wm Osler - 2009-2012  (Read 6628 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
ON / Etobicoke - Wm Osler - 2012 / Hurricane & O'Connor
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 18:51 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Here's the lastest update from CPF ...

February 19, 2012 - Etobicoke - William Osler

Tracy Simpson Reports:
Stopped in at the William Osler Hospital for a check in today and had both adults at separate times on the south facing “H” sign enjoying the afternoon sun. First was the big girl, O’Connor, just before noon preening away the afternoon.  By 2:00pm, Hurricane had returned from a foray and had taken up position on the “H” sign as well but by this time, O’Connor was out and about on her own hunt.  It was nice to see the two of them back at the site so regularly now. With spring like weather and the day length getting longer, the nesting season will be upon us fast.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Etobicoke - Wm Osler - 2011 / Hurricane & O'Connor
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55 »
Isn't that a hoot (no pun intended). Thank you for sharing this news bccs. I hadn't looked at this site in ages.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Etobicoke - Wm Osler - 2011 / Hurricane & O'Connor
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51 »
I enjoyed reading this post on the CPF website. I imagine it would have been quite funny to observe...

A Great Observation of the William Osler Family!
August 28, 2011 - Etobicoke - William Osler

Tracy Simpson Reports:
A great observation made by Toivo at the William Osler site. I have seen O’Connor, the resident female, doing this exact same thing during the Fledge Watch this summer. Every once in a while she would go across the street where a plastic owl is attached to the roof of a low rise building and make sure that the “owl” stayed right where it was. I think she was encouraged that she had sufficiently frightened it as it never seemed to move!! It would stand to reason that O’Connor’s offspring have picked up on her meticulous territory cleaning habits and took a run at it themselves!! Thanks Toivo for another great observation! Here it is:

"I was in Woodbridge about 3 k up hwy 27 from the Osler site. I saw a bird dive bombing something. I will always investigate this. I drove around a building and got to observe a peregrine stoop maybe 5 times at a plastic owl on the corner of the industrial building across the street from me.  I would think this would be one of the Osler juveniles. Quite funny to watch."  Toivo

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Etobicoke - Wm Osler - 2011 / Hurricane & O'Connor
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 04:18 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Check out this link that Loriann sent me.
Great write up, wonderful pictures.
Look at all the people who were lucky to be part of this unique experience.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/etobicoke-william-osler/

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: ON / Etobicoke - Wm Osler - 2010 / Hurricane & O'Connor
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 14:28 »
Here's another story on Hurricane & O'Connor ...

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/844001--peregrine-falcons-thriving-in-ontario

Thanks LouLouBelle!!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 10:19 »
Well last week I was told a single chick here died...so imagine my surprise when I checked the site this morning and found that there are 2 chicks...both alive and well and they managed to band the female but the male eluded them!!  I hope he's okay!
carly, does this mean that the male fledged before they could band him? ???

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 06:19 »
Well last week I was told a single chick here died...so imagine my surprise when I checked the site this morning and found that there are 2 chicks...both alive and well and they managed to band the female but the male eluded them!!  I hope he's okay!

Good thing I didn't post last week's news..  ::)

The dad is Hurricane as always and seems O'Connor the female is still the reigning queen here!  Sadly this site is not monitored regularly - kind of like the Ottawa site so you'll understand my comment there last night!

So looks like all's well that ends well here now!  I'm thrilled these two finally have offspring of their own.  Last year they were given fosters from the Mississauga site as their nest had failed.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2010/07/sightings/sheraton-chick-from-2004-hurricane-is-a-dad/

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 20:12 »
Confusing at its best, but still good news never the less! Now 3 eggs in the nest tray
June 01, 2010 - Etobicoke - William Osler

CPF Postmaster Reports:
We have just received updated news from William Osler Health Care Centre that their resident female (who ever she is these days) is currently incubating three eggs!! This is going to very interesting indeed!
After all of the fighting and squabbling going on out at this nest site over the nest ledge itself, we are at a loss now as to who the resident female now is. Unbelievably, the same resident male of 5 years,, “Hurricane” - (produced at the Toronto Sheraton hotel) is still there and has been dealing with all of the squabbling females. I guess your gotta think that all of these girls fighting for his attention must bolster his ego just a bit!
Stay tuned………..

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 11:12 »
Good news for a change :-* :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 04:57 »
2 Eggs, both adults in full incubation mode!
May 03, 2010 - Etobicoke - William Osler

CPF Postmaster Reports:
With many thanks to Bruce, three hours of observations paid off this morning as he was able to confirm the hospitals report of two more eggs in the nest tray being incubated and tended to by both adults.
Bruce was able to confirm the the resident male is still Hurricane, the little male that was produced at the Toronto Sheraton Hotel back in 2004 and showed up at the William Osler Hospital in 2007. He has been the territorial resident at this nest site ever since. His female mate dawns a Black over green band - (still yet to be identified) and a purple coloured USFW band. Bruce witnessed a changing of the guard at approx. 11am and it appears that both adults are in fact sharing the incubating duties.
Stay tuned………….

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 17:24 »
A little more on Hurricane . . . he was actually from the Sheraton nest in Toronto, hatched in 2004, a son of Wind and Windwhistler. He and Juliet had been together since 2006.

Thanks Alison, knew he was from one of the two nests but was too tired to look it up  ;)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 16:28 »
A little more on Hurricane . . . he was actually from the Sheraton nest in Toronto, hatched in 2004, a son of Wind and Windwhistler. He and Juliet had been together since 2006.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 16:24 »
The female was named O’Connor,hatched 05/06/07 at the Landmark Building in Summit County Ohio. Banded on 05/24/07 .  The male is Hurricane from downtown King St I think.

I believe Juliet used to be at this nest site Alison, year before last I think?.

Thanks, Carly! I remember O'Connor, a daughter of the great Bandit (black/red 3/*P) and Chesapeake (black/red *P/*S) in Akron, Ohio. Bandit is now 15 years old and Chesapeake is twelve.

I am not so familiar with Hurricane from King Street.

With everything that has happened at the William Osler nest, I wonder if O'Connor and Hurricane are both still there.

Yes, Juliet (born at the Syracuse nest in 2005) was at this nest site. She was injured in a battle with another female, rehabbed and released, but has not been seen since then to the best of my knowledge.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 20:26 »
Okay found it:

The female was named O’Connor,hatched 05/06/07 at the Landmark Building in Summit County Ohio. Banded on 05/24/07 .  The male is Hurricane from downtown King St I think.

I believe Juliet used to be at this nest site Alison, year before last I think?.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 17:32 »
This is such sad news about the eggs. It is even worse if there is no sign of either female around the nest area. Do we know who the falcons are at this nest?

We knew the male I believe but not the female, will go back and look at last years records.