Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 30105 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Montreal - 2010 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 19:42 »
I hate to say this but she needs to go and find another roost. Spirit has to be tough as Polly is bigger than Roger.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 19:11 »
Spirit laid her second egg today in spite of Polly bullying Roger and wanting both mom and dad out of the nest when she wanted to lay in 'her' nestbox and nap.  Eve is doing a great job of recording this amazing situation and has some good videos on the blog site.

In one today you can see all three in the nest box together as Polly wants in, the second one is Spirit laying her second egg. 

It will be interesting to see how long they tolerate her presence as she's quite the little bully.  In one video a few days ago, she was actually rolling the first egg around a bit  :o

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 17:48 »
Great shots Alison, I was wondering what Polly would do when she saw the egg or if they'd shoo her off but obviously she's there to stay for awhile!  It will be great to see if they let her feed the eyases and let her help raise them!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 17:31 »
Roger with the egg:

And a couple of minutes ago, Polly with the egg:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 15:56 »
Spirit has laid her first egg!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 22:39 »
I think this is Roger in the first pics; don't see a band, and the bib is white:

And I think this is Spirit in the nest box this evening, which means there could be a first egg any time:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 22:36 »
Caught Roger at the nest box today:

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 15:00 »
Two falcons ( I presume Spirit and Roger) are on the ledge right now at the University of Montreal site; one is defeathering and eating, and the other is placidly watching, so I guess they are in the courtship phase right now.  Oh, wait, the watcher ran over and grabbed a piece; but there was no argument, so I guess all is love and kisses.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 11:55 »
Spirit is on the ledge right now at the University of Montreal - at least, I believe it is Spirit, and not Roger, considering the size.

The live camera has a great view of her, looking very regal and strutting around for the last few minutes.

http://ornithologie.ca/faucons/

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 16:30 »
Oh that's wonderful news Alison!  I wasn't sure the way Nic had worded it - she said Polly steals a wing, a breast from them so you could infer anything from that.  But this is good news if she is learning to hunt for herself.  It sounds though they enjoy having her there and I think it's wonderful personally!

Amazing isn't it how the falcons always seem to surprise us, they really are the most wonderful birds  ;)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 16:25 »
I'm really not sure to be honest.  She just says Polly takes food from them.  I've posted the question to her on the board and we will see if she replies.  Nicole did say she helps them defend the territory so we'll see.

Quoting from Eve Bélisle's blog on December 1, 2009:

It seems clear to me that her handicap has slowed down her ability to learn to hunt, and thus her departure has been delayed . . . I am nevertheless hopeful that she will be able to fend for herself during the next few months, because she seems to be in good condition. I am fairly sure that she is now able to catch prey for herself.

I think Polly is in the best possible place, staying with her parents. Her favourite place to perch is in the middle, between Spirit and Roger. She looks in good condition; her feathers look healthy, and her eyes are bright.

And Spirit and Roger have now begun copulation -- Eve posted a short video.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 15:39 »
I'm really not sure to be honest.  She just says Polly takes food from them.  I've posted the question to her on the board and we will see if she replies.  Nicole did say she helps them defend the territory so we'll see.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 13:18 »
The girl who posts about this site from Montreal - asked on Imprints about Polly's situation.  She said Polly flys and plays with her parents regularly!

Then, is she likely able to hunt for herself?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 04:52 »
The girl who posts about this site from Montreal - asked on Imprints about Polly's situation.  She said Polly flys and plays with her parents regularly!

Paul Hamilton replied and posted these two links showing that cooperative nesting is not as uncommon as we think.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1642/0004-8038%282003%29120%5B0717%3AOAEOCB%5D2.0.CO%3B2?journalCode=tauk

http://www.bioone.org/action/showFullPopup?doi=10.1642%2F0004-8038%282003%29120%5B0717%3AOAEOCB%5D2.0.CO%3B2&id=i0004-8038-120-3-717-t02

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 22:15 »
I just checked the blog, and the two new cameras are now up and running. Eve Bélisle has posted videos from the new cams.

On February 20, there had been quail left in the nest. Polly was the one who came and ate almost the whole thing. Spirit came in to finish off the few leftovers.

Polly with quail; she is such a beauty.

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/

Temporary link to the cams:

http://www.teambelisle.com/test/