Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 48743 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: U of Montreal - 2010 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2010, 23:20 »
Those are amazing "pip" photos, exactly the right place at the right time - and a good quick "trigger" finger!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2010, 18:00 »
the pips Alison are the other 2 eggs. there ws one born this  morning.
I posted the link to BCATW for SGB video on other page. It is something else. It shows Polly going to visit
I think #2 is ready to hatch

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2010, 14:35 »
Congratulations to Spirit and Roger on their first very cute little fluff ball:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2010, 14:20 »
Here is the pic posted by Eve on the blog, showing pips in two eggs:

Saved this one moments ago:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2010, 14:17 »
Yup, saw the little one this morning and there are noticeable pips.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2010, 14:12 »
First hatch at Montreal .they have sound now. I am on my way out but I thought I would share it with you :-* :-*

There is a hatch? According to today's post on the site, there are pips in two eggs so far.

I am very much hoping that all the eggs will hatch successfully.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2010, 08:54 »
First hatch at Montreal .they have sound now. I am on my way out but I thought I would share it with you :-* :-*

Seee video at BCATW of Polly visit. heart attack
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=480&start=360

It is towards end of page

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2010, 13:46 »
...This has been such and interesting and compelling site, and I want all our falcons here to do well.

This is a very interesting nest site, indeed, Elaine, what with Polly in the picture. I do hope the eggs will hatch!

Slideshhow(does say beginning and end)

Thanks for the slideshow, bev. :)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2010, 12:49 »
I sure hope you are right, Bev.  We cannot give up hope.  This has been such and interesting and compelling site, and I want all our falcons here to do well.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2010, 12:45 »
Well, these eggs are not due for a few days yet, and I say , never say never. they said the egg in NCTC eagle nest would not hatch becasue of all the cold temperatures, rain and snow they endured, and it did.

Even if only one egg hatches. but even thought they have been left at times  it was not that cold out and the main thing is turning and keeping the temperature so it does not get below a certain tempertatur. I f anything they may hatch late. Look at Columbus last year, that one egg was not incubated for over a week(I will have to check archives) and then she had 3 more and they all hatched.

Polly was there for a bit this morning and the parent tried 3 times ot come around and finally got in. Eggs were uncovered for 20 minutes but Polly was there and maybe her body heat was enough.

Slideshhow(does say beginning and end)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2010, 10:24 »
From what I have been reading on this site, the experts feel that there is almost no chance of these eggs hatching, but they have their fingers crossed .  Eve says that what is likely to happen is that eventually the parents will sense that the eggs are not viable, and will leave them.  She says it is possible that they may try again this year. 

No one seems to know with any certainty why the parents tolerate Polly's presence.  They have theories:  because Polly is handicapped, because they do not see her as a threat and feel that she can help them with babysitting duties; and also, Polly's hormones have not kicked in, and this makes a big difference.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2010, 16:51 »
I am not sure about whether or not Polly is all there; she just does not seem to have a natural instinct about this whole process, or peregrine life, for that matter.  I do hope things work out well for her.

I agree with Bev that Polly is just young. She knows that these are not her eggs, and that she has been somewhat discouraged by Spirit and Roger from being near them. I think that by next year, things will be different.

Meantime, I think she looks really good, and I notice that she has considerably more range of motion in her injured leg than she did last year. She is getting around much better.

In 2008, when Brent showed up at the King Plant nest in Minnesota for his first year, he was two years old. He didn't know the correct way to make a scrape, but Belinda straightened him out on that. When Belinda started laying eggs, Brent was so excited; his new favourite thing was to roll the eggs in and out of the scrape! He soon settled down to incubate the eggs instead. Last year, he had so much more confidence and knew exactly what to do. It can just take a little time for young peregrines to learn what is expected of them.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 14:34 »
Alison, those photos of Spirit's family are fantastic! 

Yes! Those photos certainly are stunning, Alison!!! :-*

...I am not sure about whether or not Polly is all there; she just does not seem to have a natural instinct about this whole process, or peregrine life, for that matter...
Hopefully you're right about Polly just needing to mature a bit, bev!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 11:06 »
She is just a year old and so all of those instincts are not there yet. and hopefully she will not cause any more problems. 

I hope for the best possible outcome for this site.
I watched this morning and they were off eggs for quite awhile, but the temperature is warm.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 10:54 »
Eve posted a video yesterday of Polly trying to take over incubation duties from Spirit.  But although she tried, she just could not see to get the knack of it:  she was up and down, then circling the eggs, then touching them, then trying again to sit properly on them, all to no avail.  I am not sure about whether or not Polly is all there; she just does not seem to have a natural instinct about this whole process, or peregrine life, for that matter.  I do hope things work out well for her.